Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commercial salmon fishermen: Best pay this year, than for almost the last two decades

Default Commercial salmon fishermen: Best pay this year, than for almost the last two decades

Don't start rubbing your palms together bud my wife won't let me bring the checkbook to the poker party

Default What?!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Don't start rubbing your palms together bud my wife won't let me bring the checkbook to the poker party
    I'm pretty sure I heard something like PU fishermen can line their pockets with comm fish dollars....

Of course, I shot with the muzzle brake for too long before getting rid of the darned thing, so maybe I heard it wrong....

Hey Whop, wanna help a guy out here?

That's great news. High salmon prices are good for Alaska, and it makes me happy to know that my fellow Alaskans are better able to take care of their families and the expenses involved in fishing this year.

In all the issues of allocation, I'm glad that the commercials are getting a premium a pound for the buck. Just about 3 million Reds caught in UCI and this was suppose to be a bad year?, if I read my charts right. God, it seems like just yesterday, UCIDA was writing letters to the Governor, asking for some sort of bail-out for UCI Commercial fisheries this season.
    PWS and Bristol did the best out of all the areas. See... commercials can live with a smaller allocation and still make money!!!! JUST KIDDING. In actuality, I am glad for them that it is the best price in eighteen years. Now all my PWS buddies that owe me money and fish commercially, don't have an excuse, not to pay me back. Yahoo................
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That's great news. High salmon prices are good for Alaska's commercial fishermen, and it makes me happy to know that my fellow Alaskan commercial fishers are better able to take care of their families at the expense of other Alaskan's involved in fishing this year.
    Fixed it for ya!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

ADN Wrote:

.....collectively, they got their biggest paycheck in 18 years -- $533.9 million, according to the state's preliminary estimates.

The salmon burger program for us is one of the best sellers," said John Garner, director of Trident's salmon division. The company is based in Ballard, Wash.

How much of the 533 million made it back to Alaska?

Trident and other fish processors should be based out of Alaska, not Washington and Oregon!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Thats one company that believes in Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    ADN Wrote:

.....collectively, they got their biggest paycheck in 18 years -- $533.9 million, according to the state's preliminary estimates.

The salmon burger program for us is one of the best sellers," said John Garner, director of Trident's salmon division. The company is based in Ballard, Wash.

Trident and other fish processors should be based out of Alaska, not Washington and Oregon!
    Right off hand I can tell you Trident invested over 50 million in Cordova alone by building a fishmeal plant and renovating and modernizing processing facilities. Not to mention all the scholarships and grants to coastal communities, its really quite impressive frankly....

Princess Cruise Lines
    Holland America
    Grayline
    Sheraton Hotel
    Hilton Hotels
    Wal Mart
    Sportsmans Warehouse
    BP
    Exxon
    etc.
    etc.

How much of their profit makes it back to Alaska?
    Where are they based out of?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Fixed it for ya!
    Thanks for the help, Res. "Fixing" my post like that is akin to "fixing" a house with a sledgehammer and blowtorch. You might enjoy the show, but the result isn't good.

While that would be great, there are Constitutional provisions that prohibit states from enacting protectionism laws. If we want more money to stay in Alaska from resource development, tourism, fisheries, etc, then we need to enact business-friendly regulations and build infrastructure.

That being said, over 50% of limited entry permits are held by Alaskan residents. Likewise, in most fisheries the majority of crewmembers are residents. There are exceptions such as the pollack fishery, but the argument that all of this money is going out of state is not accurate.

Good points.

And no argument from me on the good Trident has done with the communities, but more could happen. I agree with you Brian that Alaska needs to convince companies like Trident to home base out of Alaska. Yes some of the fishery is federal, Pollock for an example. That needs to change. Washington and Oregon needs to get their greedy hands out of the Alaska bowl. They have obliterated their coastal fisheries so I can not understand why Alaska would agree, without a fight to allow those greedy <edited> to operate in Alaskan waters.

The laws need to change.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Princess Cruise Lines
    Holland America
    Grayline
    Sheraton Hotel
    Hilton Hotels
    Wal Mart
    Sportsmans Warehouse
    BP
    Exxon
    etc.
    etc.

How much of their profit makes it back to Alaska?
    Where are they based out of?
    Alaska has always been nothing more than a 'place' Ripe for the Taking. I can think of no industry based in Alaska.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Good points.

And no argument from me on the good Trident has done with the communities, but more could happen. I agree with you Brian that Alaska needs to convince companies like Trident to home base out of Alaska. Yes some of the fishery is federal, Pollock for an example. That needs to change. Washington and Oregon needs to get their greedy hands out of the Alaska bowl. They have obliterated their coastal fisheries so I can not understand why Alaska would agree, without a fight to allow those greedy <edited> to operate in Alaskan waters.

The laws need to change.
    Lets not forget about our very own Copper River Seafoods. Cordova based Copper River Seafoods is fast becoming a major player in the statewide industry. They have a plant in Anchorage and I know they buy in CI and BB. They also just acquired the old Honda shop on 5th I notice as what looks like they're Anchorage business office.

On a side note I noticed handsome gift boxes of Copper River Seafoods smoked sockeye fillets at every checkout counter in Wasilla Target for only 12.99 a box! The Wasilla shoppers were in a frenzy over them, I don't blame them they make perfect inexpensive classy Christmas gifts and ship nicely. It still amazes me they have packaging for this sort of thing that requires no refrigeration.

Oh yeah the washington and Oregon coastal fisheries are alive and kicking. In fact they have more fisheries by far than does Alaska.....fact

Default $ staying in AK

Alaska has always been nothing more than a 'place' Ripe for the Taking. I can think of no industry based in Alaska.
    Maybe everyone should immediately stop paying any money whatsoever for any product, when even a part of said money will flow outside Alaska?

Or..... is that an idea that is just pie in the sky and not practical in real life ?

[QUOTE=Brian M;831542 That being said, over 50% of limited entry permits are held by Alaskan residents. Likewise, in most fisheries the majority of crewmembers are residents. There are exceptions such as the pollack fishery, but the argument that all of this money is going out of state is not accurate.[/QUOTE]

Seen an Op/Ed in ADN a few years back on this. Seems as though there were many that retained a shanty up here, with a PO Box and their residency, but spent as much time as they could in their 'second' home. There was some mention of the lack of state income tax up here, that was also a deciding factor for them. The actual amount of money going outside, is Significant enough that we should be very leary of those that choose to do this. Sketchy Characters, many of them. Far too many of them.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Speaking of Sketchy Characters

Seen an Op/Ed in ADN a few years back on this. Seems as though there were many that retained a shanty up here, with a PO Box and their residency, but spent as much time as they could in their 'second' home. There was some mention of the lack of state income tax up here, that was also a deciding factor for them. The actual amount of money going outside, is Significant enough that we should be very leary of those that choose to do this. Sketchy Characters, many of them. Far too many of them.
    Are you still here? I would have figured you would have been removed from the premise for changing another persons words by adding your psychotic twist...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Maybe everyone should immediately stop paying any money whatsoever for any product, when even a part of said money will flow outside Alaska?

Or..... is that an idea that is just pie in the sky and not practical in real life ?
    I don't care what you spend YOUR money on. But....your kids might.....maybe
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Are you still here? I would have figured you would have been removed from the premise for changing another persons words by adding your psychotic twist...
    Where's your sense of humor? Wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning?
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default practical or pie in sky?

I don't care what you spend YOUR money on. But....your kids might.....maybe
    I wonder if that answer gave me any guidance whatsoever on whether that was a practical thing to do, or merely a pie in the sky sorta knee jerk response....

Then I begin to wonder about whether I should go buy some fish in the store today, or go grab my rod'n reel....

Just a wonder full day, today, I guess....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast