Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever miss???????

Talking Ever miss???????

I love the kill stories on here but what about the missed shots.I bring this up after missing my largest [would have been]whitetail the other day .I was archery hunting in Ohio ,my last tag of the year.A 150" 5x5 buck came by at about 38 yards he stops broadside and the arrow went just under him.It has been over 10 years since I missed with my bow ,I was in shock .How much sleep am I going to loss over that shot ? I guess that depends on weather I fill that tag .It could make for a long year.How about sharing a few of those shots that keep you from falling right to sleep at night.I wouldn't tell anyone!

On our way down the trail to our moose spot, my partner spooked up about 10 ptarmigan. They had turned white already, with the red tundra behind them. For whatever stupid reason, he was carrying his S&W .40 and jumped off his quad excitedly. They didnt run far at first, one even ran 10 feet in front of him to get away. 20 rounds and two clips later, they were no where to be seen. I couldnt get my rifle out of my case because I was laughing so hard. It's funny, but it's sad and yes, I'm going back with him next year. To his credit, he's a good rifle shot.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

When I was a kid in Minnesota I decided to learn to shoot a bow. I practiced for almost 2 years before I actually went hunting with a bow. I was out the first morning and it was shooting time, but a very dark day and hard to see in the woods. I spotted a huge Doe and she stepped back in the brush out of my view. I kept watching the spot and she finally stuck her head out and just looked at me. 5 minutes and she wouldn't give me a body shot, so I decided a head shot. Got her thru the ears. That was the first and last time I ever hunted with a bow. To make a long story short, guess I never missed................lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

It's not only the shots you miss that keep you up at night...the shots you didn't take are just as antagonizing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    It's not only the shots you miss that keep you up at night...the shots you didn't take are just as antagonizing.
    Amen to that

Unhappy Missed shots

Now your talking my game. I missed a clean shot at a beautiful black bear last May. I mean I was sitting down with my rifle on a downed tree for support. I watched the bear for approx 25 min. before I took the shot. All I can say is I must have shved a few wiskers offr him.!! Oh well next time.!!

Joseph

what is this missed thing you talk of?

Do you want me to believe that anyone on this fine forum has ever actually missed a shot. I will have you know sir that we are all expert marksman and all our shots are 100% guaranteed to hit the intended target.... Missed indeed, next you will have me believe that someone on here has failed a stalk or Passed up a shot because it was "too" difficult.

I missed a shot just last week that literally kept me up all night. A fox was stalking my only peacock (Bob) and I missed my only shot at him. That meant I was up the rest of the night waiting for a chance to nail the little bugger. He finally showed back up around 9 am the next morning and got exactly what he deserved for being so brazen.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Never missed.

Of course, I've never lied either.

One particular miss has haunted me since 2002. I did a fly in with a buddy to 20 mile drainage for a registration goat hunt..We flew in, set up a tent.. camped and the next morning we climbed to the summit.. I spotted a monster billy First goat hunt.. But I guessed it to be a adult male, it had a huge body, big thick horns and was white as snow..with a yellow tint.. it was Bedded just below me on a small narrow ridge a hundred yards or so, I had a bright idea, I decided to drop my pack and slide down a snow chute to get CLOSE. and my buddy video the whole thing.. We ease down the snow chute.. get to 50 yards or so and are crouched behind a big boulder.. the wind is right, sun, angle, everything.. then all of a sudden a huge black bear comes galloping across the snow from our left directly over the boulder and towards where the goat where he layed. We clean our drawers and peak over the rock.. (no goat.. ).. ***>. side hill over to where he was laying and can't see him anywhere, only where he was laying. about 3-4 minutes pass and across the chute he pops out.. I try the range finder. DEAD.. click DEAD.. ***... Just a blank screen.. I wait for the goat to crest in the bowl so when I hit it, it dont tumble down the mountain.. he stops broadside at what I guessed 250 yards. Using a .338, I hold right over his back in line with the shoulder and squeeze. he doesn't even flinch, I chamber another.. BAM.. same thing.. now I am like ***.. so I shoot again.. the goat steps about 10 yards or so and stops and looks back at me.. and I shoot again.. missed 4 for 4.. and he walks off like nothing ever happened... My buddy is rolling the camcorder the whole time.. In the snow I couldn't see where I was hitting.. after a while we really focused on how far he actually was.. we came to the conclusion it may have been 100-125 yards.. I presume I was shooting over his back every time.. On my bucket list at number 1 is the mountain goat.. That hunt has haunted me for 8 years.. until this past Sept I got a chance to go out on another registration goat hunt.. This time I brought 40 rounds of ammo, range finder with 2 spare batterys and lots of patience. Hammered a 4 year old on the season opener, dropped in its tracks.. Number one.. check..

Nope...never missed...and I never cleared the cache on my computer either
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

110 yards on a black bear sitting down rested on my knees. Boom!!! It looked at me for about 2 seconds before sauntering back into the brush totally unimpressed with my marksmanship . Granted it wasn't my rifle as I was bow hunting and my bow was on the boat with everyone else and I was on shore in camp with just a buddies rifle there, but man I felt like a tool the whole time I was running the woods to ensure what I already knew.....I SUCK!

missed two easy shots on blue grouse with a rifle this spring...never gonna hear the end of that one from two of my buddies

last fall i missed a fairly easy backup shot on a running brown bear...that one cost me considerable grief.

five years ago i missed a hard shot on a silly-big grey wolf...strong crosswind plus too much compensation with a heavy bullet put me out in front of the trottin dog...bummer.

do it enough and you'll miss some... so says the odds.

Yes I am an expert misser also. Some of my best shots have been misses! Perhaps my best was a bear in PWS. I was on my first hunt with my new rangefinder. Of course I left it in the tent so of course a large black bear came out and fed around a huge boulder. I was across the water from it and slithered to the tideline and used my coat and a rock to set up a perfect rest. I had solid crosshairs aimed perfectly for the 300 yards I estimated. I gently squeezed a perfect release and the bear jumped up an 8 foot bank at the shot and ran away. I returned the next day with my rangefinder to find the distance 405 on the nose. I cannot judge distance for snot!!!
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

What can I say, if you ain't a hunter, then you've never missed. Part of the game is a miss now and then or you wouldn't be hunting. Oh, thats why they call it hunting instead of killing.............lol

Sure.
    If you shoot anything, your gonna miss something ,sometime........funny thing is I know when its a Good shot or a Bad shot the instant I feel the trigger let off........

When I do miss, and I do, I do that secret thing my grandpa showed me,( RELOAD that chamber and shoot again!!!!! )
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Sure.
    If you shoot anything, your gonna miss something ,sometime........funny thing is I know when its a Good shot or a Bad shot the instant I feel the trigger let off........

When I do miss, and I do, I do that secret thing my grandpa showed me,( RELOAD that chamber and shoot again!!!!! )
    Your Grampa sounds like mine...........we related?...........lol

First whitetail I ever shot at was in Washington state. I had been told that if they are running lead them like you would a bird with a shotgun. I had a decent buck running in front of me after hearing somebody shoot over the hill where it came from, and I did as I had been told. Since I hadn’t shot a shotgun with a scope I turned my rifle sideways and sighted something like down the barrel. I missed and never saw that deer again. I did hear somebody else shoot at it followed by other shots further away that came from the direction the deer was running though.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Moose hunt...still bothers me to this day!!!

Called in a moose (first moose I ever called in) and I was soooo excited. It stopped on the edge of the clearing. I figured it to be right around 250-300 yds. Shooting my .338 I knew that I had an 8" drop at 300 yds. I put it right on his back. Bang. It moves little up hill. Bang. Moves more. Bang. Bang. This time it walks a bit up hill. So I figure it is 325 yds...4 more shots and it just walks off....

I throw my 7mm like a log down my hill. I was soooo upset. I did all of this in front of my father and a hunting buddy. They watched me call it in from another hill and the shooting.

They walk over to where it was at and use their range finder on me to find the distance.....125 yds. Every shot right over the side of it.

After that they got me a 100' tape measure and wrote "range finder" on the side of it and said "if it is past the edge of this tape, don't shoot!"

My father later said to me "never hold out of the fur. If you think you have to do that to hit it, you shouldn't shoot at it."
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Man, AK22, you remind me of my little bro in an incident.....

While we were killing time waiting for my mom to arrive with the truck,(we were hunting but had nothing, not even a miss) so while we did some 'Targeting", my little bro got way outta wack over his Para Ord.45 hitting all over, stovepiping, and jamming, so my dad suggested a mag change....(he didnt have an extra with 'em, it was just a "how to fix it" suggestion)
    Insted he cussed and very forcfully threw the pistol down, with the gun landing very nearly on my dads feet.
    My dad, who look'd as if he were about to slap the face off that boys head, insted stooped and picked the pistol up and then to my utter amazment tossed it into the river, never breaking eye contact with the Bro......

Time to go home.......quietly.

My brother never mentioned the pistol, and I dont think he's ever owned another.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default the time I missed

Only missed once and hope never to do that again. I saw this small Caribou walking towards me thru this gravel drainage. I decieded to shoot and call it a hunt, pulled my 338 up and let fly. The little Caribou just looked at me in total suprise, 20 yards away. My hunt partener said look up the ridge, well the bullet riccoched off a rock and hit the biggest Caribou I ever saw. Would'en you know it, that caribou just feel over dead and the bullet did a pass thru and there was a full curl sheep looking down on this mess that was developing below him and wam! down he goes with a perfect heart shot. Now this sound like a stroke of luck to most , but they are looking at just getting a trophy, which I had just done twice, but the wife had told me not to bring home more than we could eat this winter. Well now I was in a pickle, more meat than I could use and trying to figure where the money was going to come from to mount thse two world class brusiers. Well that isn't even the worst, a F&G officer saw this hole deal and was waiting to see me pack all this meat out. Soo you can see that I hope never to miss again!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast