Thread: Bad Bears

Default Bad Bears

Do you all think, that with a process of a long time (let's say it is 1000 years), game that has a tendency to attack humans will diminish greatly? For the sake of this discussion, let's pick on brown/grizzly bears. You would think that over a long period of time, genes of "bad bears" would get rather thinned out, due to them being shot by us humans, leaving only "good bears" and their "good behavior" progeny. Maybe this idea doesn't hold water....it might not have anything to do with genes. I was just wondering...

Marshall

are there such things as bad bears? if it were the case a guy could just put up a ladder stand and scream come and get it.....most bears I have seen did not really want to hang out and visit with me, a sow with cubs or any bear on its dinner is a bit different, but I think most of the time you are gonna see the south end of a north bound bear.

Talking

I'd say your bucket is full of holes.

Default bears

I think a bear can spend it's whole life avoiding and running from humans and then one day for reasons we may or may not understand it runs to us instead. They are created wild animals and stay that way if we do not interfere. May it never change! Genes have nothing to do with it. I think the sow that raises them has a big effect on their habits and behavior. The cubs raised on the Russian River are not the same as the cubs raised in the Brooks Range.

Default not that simple

I think there are too many other variables that you would have to consider here. We're not talking about a domesticated population of animals that can be bred or controlled to encourage specific traits. There are bears that live in areas where they come into frequent contact with humans and therefore have more "problem" bears. Then there are other areas that more bears, but fewer people, so they don't have the opportunity for as many confrontations. It has nothing to do with "good" or "bad" bears.

Talking human predators

Is there a correlation here? Look at all the bad azz humans that we have dispatched over thousands of years that have preyed upon their fellow man. There still doesn't seem to be any shortage of them running around out there now. When it comes to dealing with the bad...you'll probably have a lot more harmonious outcome with the bears.

Default bad bears

There are still deer with big racks. We have been killing deer with the biggest rack we can find for centuries and there are more now than in the colonial times.

Opossoms get killed crossing the road every day. The carnage never ends. Those dumb opossom keep on coming with no end in sight.

I would have to say no to the bad bear question.

Wink Evil Beasts!

I think there are , bad bears. Some animals seem to have different temperments, mean streaks, what ever you want to call it. This seems to go with livestock, dogs also. Unless they learn to talk we will never know. I've been reading about bear attacks / reports, I think by AF& G and , when reserching an attack on two campers came to the conclusion that the bear was of a " predatory nature", after ruling out all else, food to close to camp, cooking to close to camp ect. Remember T Treadwell? Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

What your describing is called, "survival of the fittest" Marshall. In much of Alaska, the residents don't tolerate "sharing" with bears. Any bear that approaches humans gets killed. Therefore, the bears that survive the longest avoid humans.
    In contrast, some urban areas of Alaska want to share the country with bears. In these places, like Anch., bears are not afraid of humans. Bear/human problems are higher. Tho the really "bad" or aggressive bears do end up dead.
    Much of it is learned behavior. I think it best if bears are taught that humans are "bad".
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default aggressive bears

I had to chime in on this one. While the bears near town may tolerate humans more, predatory bears can occur anywhere. There are some aggressive bears in remote areas also. In this instance you can be pretty sure that the bears is not conditioned to humans/food rather just for some reason attacks. The brooks range attack comes to mind, several attacks in the Caribou hills here on the Kenai, etc. I think that like humans you occasionally get an aggressive bear or one that behaves that way cause he was really cranky. I agree with everyone that they wont decrease with time though...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default #41 rule

I watched a show about bears where they (rangers) called it the #41 rule.

Simply put the rangers told it to Treadwell this way ; Every 40 bears you meet will give you a decent amount of respect. They will go out of their way to avoid you or ignore you or even tolerate you out of curosity. However bear #41 will want to kill you for fun. He is mean and mad at the world and fears nothing. He woke up looking for a fight and by any means he will have his fight.

They begged Treadwell to carry a pistol at least. Treadwell said no thanks. Then he mumbled some brother of the wind mumbo jumbo tree hugger stuff and now he is reincarnated as bear scat.

I think we all should heed the #41 rule.

jedi

Default Bears

The only thing 100% predictable about bears is their unpredictability.

Default Bear rules

A friend posted this on another forum a few years back. He wasn't the originator, just passed it aalong. True or not it's kinda cool...

Most bear encounters that turn into a problem, is more than likely
    from the bear being supprised and it swats at you and runs off. But
    other factors can cause problems too...

I was told by a Fish and Wildlife guy about fourty years ago that
    they used the "Rule of the 25th bear". It was coined by a guy that
    hunted bears at the turn of the century (1900's) who hunted bears
    for the hides and killed a few hundred or more a year. The rule is
    kinda like this as follows for each bear that you see...

Bears #1 though #10: Will run off in shear terror at seeing or
    hearing you, not to be seen again.

Bears #11 through #17: Don't care and will ignore you.

Bears #18 through #21: Will show an interest in your being there,
    but will show no aggression, just watching you.

Bears #22 through #24: Will fake a charge to see what or who you
    are and then will retreat.

Bear #25: Will charge and will stomp all over your little body, and
    your only defense is to get out of the way, or kill the bear.

Now these make it sound like a neat way to classify Brown/Grizzly
    bears, but in fact, the bears don't come with numbers, so you don't
    have a clue to which number you are looking at...

reuben....

Talking

ADF&G could start taggin them with #'s, then you would know what to expect.

There are no bad bears, just stupid people
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Bad bears

You can't be more wrong there, and that kind of thinking will get you hurt. Yes, there are plenty of stupid people, but there are "bad" bears, too. They have similiar traits as we humans do; some are just curious, some are timid, but on occasion, one is just born mean and is a killer for no reason. Don't fear them, but give each plenty of room and a great deal of respect, and be prepared for the worse.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

And there are the McNeil River bears(I believe), not a bad one in that bunch. That's crazy. And there are bears that want to have it so easy as to prey on fishcamps even though they are maintained properly(clean).
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Only if you believe in Natural Selection. Some argue, that alchyholism makes you smarter. Alchyhol kills brain cells. The dumbest cells die off first, leaving only smart brain cells. Hence, the more you drink, the smarter your get.