Thread: Best tripod suggestions ... and where good prices

Eagle River

Default Best tripod suggestions ... and where good prices

Best Tripod Suggestions: What tripod would you recommend for a good sheep hunting spotting scope? A good tripod has other uses - for mounting binocs or larger cameras (dslr or video), but nothing usually heavier than a spotting scope, which for sheep hunting ranges, needs to be very steady. One feature that I would look for is an all-metal head because plastic components can crack/fail with hard use in cold temps. For optics general advice, Snyd has suggested birdwatching websites like, This particular website has "The Tripod Advisor" (more below).

1. Velbon Maxi SF, or newer: Archives search found that Alasken, Alaska Lanche liked the Velbon Ultra Maxis ( From the website (, looks like Velbon doesn't make the UM model anymore. Probably one of the newer models will be similar.

2. Vortex High Country: suggested by F-16Pointy, weighs 2.1lbs at $80. See at:

: In another thread (, danattherock recommended two Manfrotto tripod models that he likes for hisCanon dslr and Zeiss Diascope 85 spotter:

3. For $155 at 5.3lbs (2.4kg) , the Manfrotto 055XPROB Aluminum Tripod Legs (Black)
    See at:

4. For $260, weighing 2.9lbs (1.3kg) , the Manfrotto 190CX3 Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs (Black) See at

5. Others, including Gitzos - various prices are mentioned at

Any other tripods to consider for that sheep spotter?

Best places to shop for good tripods:
    1. CameraLand ( Even if you don't know what you're looking for, this forum sponsor has offered buying advice to many satisfied Forums members.
    2. Barney's Sports Chalet: in Anchorage also has a good reputation with Forums users. Great gear throughout the store. Another Forums sponsor where you can get your hands on stuff first. I found my Velbon tripod here.
    3. Amazon: has tripods, some used, which might offer good deals if you know what you're looking for. Try searching "Velbon tripods" or something like that to help filter products.

I went with the Vortex High Country and they stock it at a fair price at Sportsmans Warehouse both Anchorage and Wasilla.

I have the Vortex High Country from Doug. Weight and size are great. I looked at one of the small Manfrotto models (dont remember model), but didn't like it near as much as the Vortex. I kinda wish someone would make one with features and layout like the Vortex, but with tighter tolerances and a little better quality materials. Obviously would cost more. Eastmans had this as one of their recommended compact tripods.