Thread: Light short skis for snowshoe boots

Default Light short skis for snowshoe boots

I think I know the answer, but I'll ask anyway.

I have downhill skiing gear and my kids snowboard. I have telemarked a lot, but not got any gear - had to give all back when I left the military.

I use my trusty LOWA Tridents for snowshoeing with MSR Denali snowshoes.

What I am trying to find is a short lightweight ski with bindings similar to snowboard bindings that I could use to pack and ski down (using my LOWA tridents as boots), to keep up with my kids snowboarding. My downhill boots/skis are far too bulky to pack out.

Is there such a thing or do I really need to look at shelling out for a set of telemarking/AT ski gear. I'mm too old to learn to snowboard.

Yes, there are mini skis, but you'll hate them for your application. I got a pair of the mini skis ~1m long that have wire bail bindings so I can put them on my mountaineering boots. My thought was that I could use them in the spring, hike up local hills and go skiing back down. In practice, they are too small to provide any flotation, so only work on hard packed snow. The other thing is, my mountaineering boots aren't nearly as stiff as my downhill boots, so my feet are killing me from the strain that my legs are under making up for the lack of stiffness in the boots. I have used the mini skis with my downhill boots, and they're fun at resorts.

So yes, you're going to need to go with either a/t or telemark gear. Either that or just hike up with your downhill gear and ski down. My son and I did that last spring, and we had a blast. I put my downhill boots in my back pack with skis strapped on, my son hiked in his downhill boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Yes, there are mini skis, but you'll hate them for your application. I got a pair of the mini skis ~1m long that have wire bail bindings so I can put them on my mountaineering boots. My thought was that I could use them in the spring, hike up local hills and go skiing back down. In practice, they are too small to provide any flotation, so only work on hard packed snow. The other thing is, my mountaineering boots aren't nearly as stiff as my downhill boots, so my feet are killing me from the strain that my legs are under making up for the lack of stiffness in the boots. I have used the mini skis with my downhill boots, and they're fun at resorts.

So yes, you're going to need to go with either a/t or telemark gear. Either that or just hike up with your downhill gear and ski down. My son and I did that last spring, and we had a blast. I put my downhill boots in my back pack with skis strapped on, my son hiked in his downhill boots.
    Yep I think that's the plan.

nbh40

You might be able to get by with just a skin purchase and a new set of bindings.

A set of step in AT bindings like Marker Baron/Dukes/Tours Will work with your downhill boots. Won't be the most comfortable touring setup.. but would get the job done.

Plenty of guys using straight downhill boots for sidehill resort type touring with these bindings. Trim a set of skins to your current skis.. and you're there.

Cheap(er) option.. at least until you want to spring for a full AT or Tele setup.