Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: failsafe vs. partition

Default failsafe vs. partition

Say I'm hunting moose and elk with a 30'06 loaded with 180 grainers, I know both are good bullets but which do you like better?

1st thing to consider is availability of the fail safes, the next is which one shoots well in your rig? that is the key element. if all things accuracy and velocity wise are equal I would take the fail safe......right after the tsx

I have had nothing but good luck with the fail safe rounds from black bear (375 H&H), deer (280 rem) and a couple of exotics (3006).

Doug

I have had good results with both on moose. I guess what ever shoots best in your rifle. All things being equal I'd use the noslers as the fail safes are on the way out.
    goldbelt

Goldbelt is correct the factory Failsafes are slowly fading out for the newer XP3 ammo winchester is making.

Doug

Thumbs up Failsafes

I personally love the failsafe. I tool a 66" bull in '04 with a 30-06 and 180 grain failsafes. At approx. 350 yards, i had two complete pass throughs and one lodged underneath the skin on the offside rib (yes i know "three shots?") he just stood there soaking them up. You could hear the bullets hitting, but he never flinched. He only went about 30 yards total before he finally fell. Moose can take the punishment!

The recovered bullet looked exactly like the ones in the magazine adds. Nearly 100% weight retention with a nice four pedal mushroom. Small holes entering, small holes exiting, with massive internal organ damage. The bull completely bleed out on the inside.

I took a caribou this year with the Accubond CT from Winchester Supreme. Excellent job, total pass through at close to 500 yards (caribou never took another step).

My Tikka T3 Lite shoots both rounds sub MOA. The partitions are a proven round. Lots of info. in the archives on them. I don't think you will go round with either. The determining factor will be how well your gun likes them. Buy a couple of boxes and shoot them at different distances and wind speeds.

With that said, Winchester says the XP3 is the best of both the failsafe and Accubond CT. If it is, this will be a great hunting round. The XP3 will be what I'm shooting this fall.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default Partitions

I am sold 100 percent on Noslers Partitions. The FailSafes and the new Winchester rounds are excellent bullets, too, but if you reload, Noslers are my choice. I went to Partitions after I shot and hit a big brown bear with a Hornady bullet and it exploded right under the hide. The bear charged us and I had to shoot it in the face at a few feet. I had a black bear hide ruined with a Speer bullet that killed the bear, but it fragmented and blew 2 huge holes in the off-shoulder.

Since I was recommended the Noslers, I have shot literally dozens of animals, from blacktail deer, moose brown bear, black bear, grizzly, caribou and others, and I have had nothing but excellent results.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Thumbs up

If its off the shelf? Two thumbs way up! For the winchester CXP3 (Controlled Expansion Performance)Ammo (I can only speak for the .300 Win Mag.180grain Version)

Default Depends on distance & critter?

I used Failsafes with great results on elk in Oregon (usually 100-150 yards) and grew to love them for their great knockdown capacity, but then I had problems with failure to expand (poking tiny holes instead of doing much damage) on an elk taken at less than 20 yards -- & then had similar problems with pass through on deer.

So I switched to Nosler & have so far had no problem from 40 yards to 350 yards -- but I have not taken a moose yet -- could be I'd still like the Failsafe for such a massive critter -- @#% they're huge!! Thankfully, both seem to shoot very well for me, just shooting with more confidence with the Noslers right now.
    Last edited by greatland; 02-14-2007 at 22:39. Reason: forgot a key word

Default On thin skin game

Hi,

My luck with failsafe is this: 1) Accurate in my 06'. 2) Never opens on white tails. .308 hole going in, .308 hole going out. Nosler however, .308 hole going in, at least fist size on the other end. All deer died in any case, within 3 feet of where I shot them. I would say shot placement with the failsafes would be the issue to results other then these. Good Luck.

Ron

grasslake is on the money, fail safe alot of times bust off petals, loosign weight very quickly noslers tend to make bigger holes on the way out, which show a little of what happens on the inside...theres a reason failsafe are on the outs and its not cause they are as good as a partition.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default fail safes

I've never heard much good on fail safes and saw first hand a moose shot using a .300 mag that they didn't penetrate more than 5 inches.

I pretty much only shoot barnes tsx now.

180's and 168's out of my .300wsm

and .270 grains out of my .375 ultra mag.

Awesome performance and they are VERY accurate out of my rifles.

Default Failsafes are done.

If you swear by em, you better lay in a supply cause they are out of production. Partitions and TSX,s are great substitutions.

Wink cavemen used noslers

nosler partitions kills critters dead. they have been around for 50 how many years...

Default Failsafe

Yes, Partitions have been around forever and have had lots of success, no doubt. But they have also lost lots of game over the years all over the world. There are a wealth of books, magazine articles, and web pages devoted to bullet performance, and todays technologically advanced bullets are improvements on the partition design. Typically, Failsafes retain in uppwards of 97%-98% of their weight, while Partitions only retain under 80% or even less. That's going to make a huge difference in the long-run in my opinion. I have experience with both bullets and I was much more impressed with the performance of the Failsafe over the partition. Completely devestating. I am sorry to see it's on the way out.

By the way, just because it's on it's way out, doesn't mean the bullet couldn't perform. For one thing, they are expensive and maybe they didn't market it well enough. It's all about what sells these days. The partition has the advantage of longevity. I think if the partition came out today, it would die a horrible death.

the failsafe and the X is what should be being compared, but i realize the orignal question.
    i've found maybe one failsafe that still had any petals on it, i found maybe one or two barnes X that have actually lost some. i'll get a pic up here in a couple hours.
    Master guide 212

heres a pic .416 XXX shot into water, the same bullet that went in the face of a black bear and stuck in his rear, a .338 225gr Barnes X from a moose kill and a 400 grain nosler partition that i took from brown bear. All the X bullets kept their weight, the one that went in the black bear lost one petal, which is rare but does happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Master guide 212

Default Barnes X

The Barnes just don't shoot very good in my Rifle. i have far superior groups with the Partition. It's all about what shoots good in your particular rifle. AND...... what one guy calls good and another guy calls good are two totally different thing i've found.
    BTW the failsafes are mostly hype. I wouldn't use them for big game if you paid me. they make a nice explosion on impact and alot of damage on the impact side, but usually don't exit and sometimes don't even make it half way through. loose way to much of thier weight. I'm a nosler fan, but these are not large game bullets IMHO
    Justin

i don't have any hard feelings toward nosler bullets, they sent me a pile of them for my .416 and my gun hates them, shoots the XXX less than an inch but the partitions are around 5". they did shoot ok outa my old .416 but when i realized the weight i lost, penetration i lost compared to the X bullets, i quiet shooting the noslers. i'd feel fine in the woods with them if my gun shot them ok. but my gun don't, so i dont.
    your right though, its all about what your gun shoots. a great bullet don't matter if you can't hit anything with it.
    Master guide 212

Talking moot point

I guess this comparison is probably moot if fail-safe is no longer manufactured. I have had similar results as BRWNBR, but my guns all liked Noslers, and they love Barnes, so I went with the optimum terminal performance of weight retention and penetration. Guns and women have some similarities in spite of each one being different...gotta keep em happy or they'll be some things about it that you won't like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast