Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Advisory Committee Responsibilities

  1. #1
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default Advisory Committee Responsibilities

    For those of you who are AC members, or regularly attend the meeting, how often does your comm. meet? How often should an AC meet? Is there a minimum number of meetings an AC needs to do it's job? Is there any kind of responsibility for members to be informed? Who calls the meeting, only the chair?

    The rural ACs, the ones that have members who must be flown in, have been told there is money for only one face to face meeting per year. We can have more meetings, but remote members will have to participate by teleconference.

    My opinion is there needs to be a minimum of 2 meetings per year. ACs deal with both fish and wildlife issues. The Dept. needs at least 2 meetings to keep the members informed. One meeting per year piles on too much information to absorb and act upon.
    Additionally, member terms expire and officers must be elected (chair, vice chair, etc.) so that adds to duties to perform during at least one meeting per year.
    BoG and BoF proposals occur every 2 years for any area, so ACs have to be aware and active in that area.

    What's happening out there?
    Thanks
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  2. #2
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Most the AC meet monthly here... the Fairbanks AC usually meets the second wednesday of each month... with working sub committee meetings once a month also. this week i will attend the sub game committee meeting tonight, the Ac meeting wednesday night... head over to Delta AC monday night... have the forty mile meeting 17, 18, and try to make the Lower Nenana AC on the 19th. (they are not scheduled yet)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  3. #3

    Default

    With the tools available to all today, like web cams, skype, windows live, google groups, etc, I would think that one meeting annually should be sufficient. The problems I have seen with involved folks, waiting for the meeting, to get caught up on the latest. They want to be spoon fed, instead of working independantly and then sharing that work. Many regard such "responsiblities" as to be a social gathering and a place to be seen.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  4. #4
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    With the tools available to all today, like web cams, skype, windows live, google groups, etc, I would think that one meeting annually should be sufficient. The problems I have seen with involved folks, waiting for the meeting, to get caught up on the latest. They want to be spoon fed, instead of working independantly and then sharing that work. Many regard such "responsiblities" as to be a social gathering and a place to be seen.
    Hey who is holding MY spoon? i am not on any of the AC's but i don't know what they are doing if i am not there.... nor do i have any input into the decisions they are making if i am not there... and depending on the issues. at times its the LAST place you want to be seen.......
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  5. #5
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    ADF&G has alot of information. I see the game bio here print out charts, graphs, collar data every so often. I see the AC meeting as the best, and most appropriate place to make that info available to the AC and to the public. If every member stops in to visit the bio, plus members of the public, the guy could get overwhelmed with people. Takes time away from his other duties.
    I see some of this stuff as a legal obligation on the states part, and also on the ACs part. The AC needs to provide the public with a forum to hear F&G data, etc. Plus a forum to speak to the AC. A meeting is the legally appropriate forum.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  6. #6

    Default meetings

    Mike,

    We meet almost every month during the winter. The chair will call the meetings when necessary. We all respond quickly when an emergency meeting is needed also. Our meetings usually run 3 hours minimum and sometimes don't get done. I think meeting once a year is not enough.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    ADF&G has alot of information. I see the game bio here print out charts, graphs, collar data every so often. I see the AC meeting as the best, and most appropriate place to make that info available to the AC and to the public. If every member stops in to visit the bio, plus members of the public, the guy could get overwhelmed with people. Takes time away from his other duties.
    I see some of this stuff as a legal obligation on the states part, and also on the ACs part. The AC needs to provide the public with a forum to hear F&G data, etc. Plus a forum to speak to the AC. A meeting is the legally appropriate forum.
    For a bio or anyone else to prepare for a meeting, attend the meeting and log after action data, is way more time consuming than answering specific questions. This I am certain of. I suggest you, your local bio and AC Members, configure their computers to allow one another 'read only' access to one anothers computer, to better stay informed. Easily done. Probably the very best way to effectively communicate. That way you ALL have the same data, nothing is overlooked by anyone. You could print your own maps, graphs, charts, etc. And.....take the time at your leisure to fully digest it. Cost to do this is just about zip.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    I suggest you, your local bio and AC Members, configure their computers to allow one another 'read only' access to one anothers computer, to better stay informed. Easily done. Probably the very best way to effectively communicate. That way you ALL have the same data, nothing is overlooked by anyone. You could print your own maps, graphs, charts, etc. And.....take the time at your leisure to fully digest it. Cost to do this is just about zip.
    I would suspect the state wouldn't want any members of the public to haver access to their computers.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I would suspect the state wouldn't want any members of the public to haver access to their computers.
    Quote them the Open and Transparency Act. There might bit hesitation on the part of a given individual, but fact is they would be wrong in doing that.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •