Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best living, with GREAT road system fishing

Default Best living, with GREAT road system fishing

Hey, looking for a serious opinion on where to set up base in AK. Thinking of relocating in 2011 or 12 and want get my homework done. Mainly fly fish but don't mind casting some metal, just not a big into the eggs.
    Moving from CO. and want the best of both worlds, good job opportunities and great road system fishing. As I say good work but just enough to pay the bills, fishing is the fore front. Currently have been working in the hospitality industry for 20 years, so I'm sure I can find work in a hotel / restaurant.
    Really like Kodiak but not sure if I could deal with being stuck on the rock. KP is got a lot going on but seems to get busier every year. Not visited in the SE area before and obviously Anchorage gives a good home base to travel around.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    Hey, looking for a serious opinion on where to set up base in AK. Thinking of relocating in 2011 or 12 and want get my homework done. Mainly fly fish but don't mind casting some metal, just not a big into the eggs.
    Moving from CO. and want the best of both worlds, good job opportunities and great road system fishing. As I say good work but just enough to pay the bills, fishing is the fore front. Currently have been working in the hospitality industry for 20 years, so I'm sure I can find work in a hotel / restaurant.
    Really like Kodiak but not sure if I could deal with being stuck on the rock. KP is got a lot going on but seems to get busier every year. Not visited in the SE area before and obviously Anchorage gives a good home base to travel around.
    if The KP is too busy to live there? are you sure you want to live in ancho. and have to Travel THERE?

Sounds like Seward or Homer...some nice Deals down twards Ninlichick also... pick your self up a B&B live at work...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

It's where I'm retiring to in a few years, Sterling/Soldotna/Kasilof area. Lotsa people, but lotsa big fish!!!!

I'd look at Cordova for seasonal good fishing and Petersberg for year round. Roads don't have to be long if the fishing is good. Getting off the railbelt road system outweighs any other consideration if you value old concepts like neighborliness and streamside manners. And if you're "skiffy" Petersberg really opens up the fishing ops.

The central Kenai is the "best" solution to your situation. I'd rate the Valley as second. From there you'd find yourself having to drive down to the Kenai a lot for fishing. The job market is better near the Anchor-Bowl.

Your desire for a "road system" pretty much eliminates SE along with Kodiak. SE is even more isolated than being on "the rock".

I think you'd find that "old concepts like neighborliness" are in fact well entrenched in *most* of the central Kenai.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I think you'd find that "old concepts like neighborliness" are in fact well entrenched in *most* of the central Kenai.
    Agreed, but you're connected by asphalt to thousands of people who aren't so inclined.

Default news flash - few roads, not good fishing near them, in AK

read the subject line. You do not drive a car to good fishing in alaska for the following reasons -
    1. there aren't many roads anywhere;
    2. the road-fishing has hoards of people;
    3. the best fishing is not necessarily near roads;

You can get to fishing with either a plane or a boat, and learning how to operate either up there (more skill than lower 48). Anchorage sucks - you're better off where you are. It is huge, every weekend - about half the population, a quarter million people, kids, and their girlfriends decend on every fishing hole anywhere near a road or within flying/boating distance and pound it to smithereens with gear and bait. I'd say take a whirlwind trip to the SE and then decide if one of those places (Sitka, Ketchikan, Petersburg, Wrangell, or Cordova each would give you plenty of boat-accessible fish for a lifetime) suits you better or worse than the busyness of the KP. Bring lots of money.

Though everything said about the road system is true to some degree, it seems like all you have to do is walk a quarter to half mile from "where everyone fishes" to get away from 90% of the crowds. Also if your work is in the hospitality business, a few friends I have in the business are "stuck" working the weekends and have weekdays off which thins out the crowd considerably.

Maybe I have lived n Alaska too long, but Anchorage is a great mix of central location and good job opportunities and driving two hours gets you into a lot of great fishing from what I experience.

Maybe I need to clarify my expectations. Without a doubt there are going to be people and like Kardinal stated will probably end up fishing on the weekdays. Just looking for the best place to live with fishing near by. Outside of being stuck to a rock, I thought Kodiak but liked the idea someone mentioned of lower KP and working as a host for a B&B.
    I currently drive on the average an 1 1/2hr to reach most of my favorite streams and build in a couple of overnighters during the summer. So day trips are just in my book and want the opportunities to do some float trips as well.

Anchorage / Eagle River is pretty much the middle for either, Kenai or the Susitna drainage. 2 Hours to the Kenai, 2 hours to some of the farther Valley streams.

I live here on the Kenai and it is pretty special to be able to walk out the door and be fishing in just a few minutes. Anchor River, Deep Creek, Ninilchik River or marine area, Swanson River or the lakes of Swanson River Road, and I could go on and on are all within an hour and a half from here.

Still some drawbacks but all in all a pretty good place to live for someone that enjoys the outdoors.

Always wanted to go to Prince of Wales and see what it has to offer...

montana gets my vote

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    I live here on the Kenai and it is pretty special to be able to walk out the door and be fishing in just a few minutes. Anchor River, Deep Creek, Ninilchik River or marine area, Swanson River or the lakes of Swanson River Road, and I could go on and on are all within an hour and a half from here.

Still some drawbacks but all in all a pretty good place to live for someone that enjoys the outdoors.

Always wanted to go to Prince of Wales and see what it has to offer...
    I live in the Wasilla area on the little su. I just bought a lakefront lot in Meadow lakes. The fishing is awesome but I agree w/ Iceblue, about the peninsula because of the saltwater opportunities. I'd choose Homer just because of the climate, oh and if you're single theres an abundance of hippychicks

Might be single soon, that's why the move. Hippy Chicks, as long as they still shave!!!!

Might be single soon, that's why the move. Hippy Chicks, as long as they still shave!!!!
    :eek That my man, is dialogue I can't participate in

Hippy Chicks, as long as they still shave!!!!
    "The Tug is the Drug"

Ok, since there probably isn't an answer available that is going to fulfill the dream location you have in mind, here's my take on what would be great, in the perfect world.

First off, the perfect world says I have lots of cash, and investments that will keep it coming, and a wonderful wife who supports me spending lots of our money.

Now, that said, I'd look for something south of Soldotna, with acreage or near access to public land so you can goof off inthe backyard, cut wood, no neighbors peepin in etc. Now, you are near plenty of freshwater fishing (crowded in my estimation....but good catching).
    Toys: get a jetsled, a snowgo, a fourwheeler, and packhorses if you are inclined. THEN! get yourself an oceangoing boat and dock out of Homer or Seward, or wherever the heck your well funded and retired butt want to go.

NEXT. You get a plane on floats, a 185 or better. This way you can go across the inlet as many folks do, and then you can have Kenai sized bows, with middle of nowhere charm and isolation in Bristol Bay....OR, you can fish the streams across the inlet, or even go up into upper river areas from the Matsu Valley with your handy dandy plane. It's even possible to get property and put up a comfortable cabin over there (granted people like me will have to stare at it all year while you just sit in it for a few weeks at best...but it's america and it's your money and you're gonna do with it what you please).

Anyhoo, if I had money and time, that's an option I could live with. YOu get small town living, with access to all amenities and some nice people (have always enjoyed visits to the KP), but you have access (with said toys) to all of the stuff people think you can have at your backdoor in AK.

I have neither money nor time, so I live in the sticks and take my trusty but old boat (with sweet new motor) out in the boonies and catch and shoot stuff to my heart's content, but obviously there is a distance range I can handle from home. Maybe save up for a flight here or there or a trip to somewhere else to catch and shoot stuff, but other than that I accept the ups and downs of remote towns.

In all honesty, I'd save your money, find a nicer spot in Colorado if you dont' like your current one. And take trips here to cherry pick the best of it. Joining the Armada on the Kenai every weekend may still be great catching, but it's not what I'd call great fishing.

Tough call and for a variety of reasons. By all means, consider your health. Isolate yourself too far, and you've got problems in transit to just to visit a doctor, let alone major medical care. Just a thought...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Maybe I need to clarify my expectations. Without a doubt there are going to be people and like Kardinal stated will probably end up fishing on the weekdays. Just looking for the best place to live with fishing near by. Outside of being stuck to a rock, I thought Kodiak but liked the idea someone mentioned of lower KP and working as a host for a B&B.
    I currently drive on the average an 1 1/2hr to reach most of my favorite streams and build in a couple of overnighters during the summer. So day trips are just in my book and want the opportunities to do some float trips as well.
    And - since you keep on talking about 1.5 hr drives to fishing - maybe I need to clarify what Alaska is; namely, undeveloped. And a really, really big and diverse state. But there aren't roads to drive around in the vast majority of it. That's just not how you get around. You don't drive to "great" fishing. It is not like the lower 48. You're imagining something that doesn't exist up there. At least not in the same universe of Colorado. It just is not like that.

What you have are limited paved (or even unpaved) roads, and most of the fishing is accessible via boat or plane. There is some of what you are thinking about in the Anchorage/KP area, but there isn't a huge amount of it, there are alot of people who live near them, and alot more who come as visitors. And people fish for food there. It's hard to imagine what you're thinking about float trips either. Float trips up there don't generally involve throwing something on top of your truck and driving to some river for the day. There is some of that, but not much, and the best is elsewhere. It means $4-6,000 worth of state-of-the-art raft/rowing frame, $1-2,000 in bushflight charter; and incidentals. And - from what I hear - Kodiak has a pretty good road system - where you can pile in with everyone else downstream of the single, mostly unpaved, gravel road to fish with everyone else (upstream is closed for much of season). But there's lots, and lots, of fishing for salmon elsewhere on that island; a quarter million will get you a nice plane to tool around to the west, and another $50,000 will put you in the range of decent used boat to do saltwater and Afognak. Or you could found your B&B somewhere out there.

I like the implied idea of borrowing a whole bunch of money, to buy a house B&B (maybe with boat(s) included), and going yee-haww for a couple years. If it works, then great - if it doesn't work out, who cares? Just don't pay your loan and whine to your nearest politician like everyone else; Obama will bail you out with his next stimulus/clunker program.
    Last edited by stevesch; 11-12-2010 at 11:54. Reason: spelling

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    And - since you keep on talking about 1.5 hr drives to fishing - maybe I need to clarify what Alaska is; namely, undeveloped. And a really, really big and diverse state. But there aren't roads to drive around in the vast majority of it. That's just not how you get around. You don't drive to "great" fishing. It is not like the lower 48. You're imagining something that doesn't exist up there. At least not in the same universe of Colorado. It just is not like that.

What you have are limited paved (or even unpaved) roads, and most of the fishing is accessible via boat or plane. There is some of what you are thinking about in the Anchorage/KP area, but there isn't a huge amount of it, there are alot of people who live near them, and alot more who come as visitors. And people fish for food there. It's hard to imagine what you're thinking about float trips either. Float trips up there don't generally involve throwing something on top of your truck and driving to some river for the day. There is some of that, but not much, and the best is elsewhere. It means $4-6,000 worth of state-of-the-art raft/rowing frame, $1-2,000 in bushflight charter; and incidentals. And - from what I hear - Kodiak has a pretty good road system - where you can pile in with everyone else downstream of the single, mostly unpaved, gravel road to fish with everyone else (upstream is closed for much of season). But there's lots, and lots, of fishing for salmon elsewhere on that island; a quarter million will get you a nice plane to tool around to the west, and another $50,000 will put you in the range of decent used boat to do saltwater and Afognak. Or you could found your B&B somewhere out there.

I like the implied idea of borrowing a whole bunch of money, to buy a house B&B (maybe with boat(s) included), and going yee-haww for a couple years. If it works, then great - if it doesn't work out, who cares? Just don't pay your loan and whine to your nearest politician like everyone else; Obama will bail you out with his next stimulus/clunker program.
    FOR SALE>>>> http://charters.bizland.com/
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast