Thread: Remington 597 Semi

Default Remington 597 Semi

Anyone out there got a Remmie 597 Semi-Auto to share stories with I have just added one to my cabinet here in the U.K.

Seems to work fine and the accuracy is as good as any other mass produced .22lr I've shot . My boys have killed a fair number of rabbits with the one we have.

Seems to be a fairly accurate gun. I have bought the banana clip for the 597 but for some reason it likes to jam shells a lot? May be due to the box of 10% dud Rem shells i was shooting through it. I sent the box back w/5 misfires we had out of 50 shots taken and remington replaced them with a new box=said they had a problem with the primer mix in the batch/Guess this was after they took apart the duds i sent them and they test fired the others?

Still a very good gun otherwise.

I have a buddy who has one, seems to be a reliable gun. How ever my marlin 60 is more accurate then his remi 597 was. We switched back and forth several times. I would shoot his he would shoot mine and we both came to the conclusion that my Marlin was more accurate than his Remington. But still his was plenty accurate enuph to hunt with. He use to take just as many rabbits as I did, just when it came to target shooting mine was more accurate than his but out in the field the 597 worked perfectly well. All I did to my 60 was put on a scope and an aftermarket stock FYI.

Congrats on the new gun. They let you have those over in the UK?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

My 597 also tends to have a feed issue. Thinking it was an issue with the stock clip, I bought replacements, but no change. I started shooting target grade ammo (Eley) which has what appears to be some sort of moly coating on the bullet. No misfeeds with this ammo, but it is significantly more expensive.
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 11-23-2010 at 16:15. Reason: typo

I have had a couple 597s and consider them as good as the 10/22. In fact I am going to try to shoot some USA bench rest competition with a 597 Yellow Jacket next summer. I am going to play with it all winter. Getting it tweaked and finding the right ammo.

AllAlaskan, not to many people mention or shoot the Marlin Glenfield 60's around here but I sure like them. I hate to think how many squirrels and coons I've killed with mine.

Good to hear, there is a great deal on a used one in town, might have to go grab it...

If you are looking at a 597 be sure it is a .22lr. I believe the 597 in the .17hmr and even the .22mag have been recalled for safety issues.