Thread: Dave Scadden

Default Dave Scadden

Has anyone had any experience with Dave Scadden boats? I am interested in the McKenzie Drifter ST X2 13', but I have never seen one of them in person. Any comments would be great.

Default Scadden boats

Mike, I sent you a personnel pm on Scadden boats, I hope you got it. Mike

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mad View Post
    Mike, I sent you a personnel pm on Scadden boats, I hope you got it. Mike
    Hi Mike,

That was really good information, Mike. Would you care to post it here in this thread? I think it will be useful for folks.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Scadden boats

Mike, I was cleaning up my computer and erased the "sent"file instead of the "trash" file. So I am unable to resend. If you have it please go ahead and post it for me. Thanks, Mike

Default Mad's post on Scadden Boats

Quote Originally Posted by mad View Post
    Mike, I was cleaning up my computer and erased the "sent"file instead of the "trash" file. So I am unable to resend. If you have it please go ahead and post it for me. Thanks, Mike
    Here you go! I found your email- good review, btw!

Hi Mike, I have had a Dave Scadden boat for about 5 years now and love it.

I am a guide, so I picked it up at a great deal(that had something to do with my decision). Like all boats it has its pros and cons, I will give you my short list.

I have a old 10'6" Roaring Fork, which would be the Skyomish Sunrise today. Main difference is I do not have the sliding fishing bar. Mine is fixed either on or off.

1. Rows great, with good load capacity. Very good in high wind due to low foot print.

2. Very good frame, narrow foot rests is great, makes it easy to get in and out.

3. Internal anchor system is nice. I added a Scotty brand anchor holder on the rear deck. I can now let the anchor hang and it never hits anything in the water and always ready to drop.

4. Aluminum rear deck and foot platform is excellent, except for one small thing. The the foot platform has a 1" edge coming up all the way around it. It tends to rub on the back of your boot/foot when rowing, so I cut out a area about 6" wide for each foot. No problems.

5. Have rowed Aires boats for years and was a little unsure about a bladderless boat. it has only been an issue once when floating down Peters Creek (from the bridge above Petersville) A very sharp pointed rock was pointed out in the river at a sharp bend, of course I thought I could make it and did not. Ended up putting a 6" tear in the pontoon. Major hassle repairing it (duct tape would work on a bladder boat). Since changed around my repair kit, mainly quicker curing glue and new repair tape to put on. Never had another hole/leak. I hit that rock going pretty fast, should of dragged the boat 10' and would of been fine.

6. One thing I did'nt like was no skid protection on the bottom, so I added a skid layer.

7. I also use a 2 1/2 hp with it. So I added 2 glue on
    strap patches on each side of each pontoon (inside and outside). This allow me to move the frame forward more when running the motor. The website shows a 8 hp (way to much) but the bow points up and get a lot of stern drag as it squats in the water.
    Same happens with the 2 1/2, but moving the frame forward allows her to run level in the water and faster. Of course this is in smooth water, in normal water I move the frame back to the normal position.

8. Lightweight is a big plus.

9. Would I buy it again. yes. It rows and functions like a big boat, so many of the other boats on the market are a little nervous in faster water, this boat
    is solid. Frame is great, once I put skit patches on bottom of pontoons, they are excellent also.

I think the bladder one could be one to check out if weight and extra size is not an issue. Bladder brings
    alot of extra security. But I carry/portage mine alot and like the lighter weight

Good luck, Mike Dunn
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the great info.

Smile Scadden Service Record (North Fork Outdoors)

I have 2 of his boats, and 3 more friends have them as well.

They are very responsive to questions and assistance when you call and know who you are talking to. Dave, Larry and Derek have been great.

The problems we have had were only due to our errors. Never had a manufacturing problem. Our boats are 3 and 4 years old.

1 of our group pushes past 300#. After 2 seasons of use on a Skykomish Sunrise, the H seat frame was bending. Dave changed it out no cost. Not even shipping charges!

Two of us ran the Gunnison Gorge in Colorado this spring at low water. To low. We were stuck and pinned several times each on sharp rocks. We each cut 6 inch plus holes into the bottoms of our bladder pontoons from the Skykomish Sunrise model. We presume they were cut on the first class 4 rapid were we were each pinned for a bit. We did not discover the holes until the end of the day, 10 class 3's later. The internal bladders held! Dave/Derek patched them for us at no charge! This fall we both upgraded to the Northwest Express tubes. We believe Dave gave us a great deal.

Out third problem came from my big buddy fishing while standing and leaning against the lean bar on our 16" 3 man cat. He was in the front, standing and fishing while going thru a class 3 on the Arkansas river. He bent forward the lean bar and as result fatigued the aluminum. Again, they changed it our for free. There was a minimal shipping charge.

The 16' cat packed into 3 big duffels we purchased from Dave and flew to Alaska for an Alagnak 10 day float this past August this past summer. Baggage charges were cheaper than renting. Plus we stand and fish vs. our friends who rented and could only sit and fish while floating.

The company has treated us exceptionally well.

Default I'm the buddy

I'm the buddy that bought the McKenzie Drifter ST X2. I am really happy with the raft so far. I've had it on the upper Kenai and Willow so far and had a lot of fun this past summer learning. It did take a while for them to get me the raft after I ordered it at the Sportsman's show last April... I don't think I recieved it until June. After that I've had no problems. I've ordered some accessories from Northfork and they were reasonably priced and got here to AK in a couple of days. I also put a tear in my pontoon shell (being stupid while loading it in my truck because the thing is sooo light) anyway, I sent them the pontoon and they repaired it for free (I did pay shipping). The raft is confortable and easy to manuver. I also had a great time using the standing platform to fish from.

i have a 1 man ( kenai special) and a 3 man i have been very pleased with them both although i'm not very experience in rafting and have not used them alot they are top notch boats. i and 4 friends , 3 of them also have 2 rafts like mine, have bought ours from a dealer here on the kenai. one guy had problem with a part i do not recall what but it was resolved to his satisfaction.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER