Thread: Dog training books and ducks

Default Dog training books and ducks

Well good news just keeps coming. I guess when I thought I couldn't hunt for a year, everything was up from there! Anyway, I found out first about the small game license, so that was good. Now I see I can get duck stamps with that license...good deal!

Anyway, I am getting my first Chessie in December and don't really have the $$ to pay for a lot of training, so I am wondering if anyone knows 1 or 2 top quality books that will help me in training him. I want him to be a well-trained bird dog.

Also, I would like to get out and try duck hunting. I have never done much of it....when I did, it was with friends who just drove out to a blind, put a dozen decoys out, called a few times when they saw ducks flying over, and shot them....really easy.

So now that I will be solo with no boat, I am wondering where the best places might be for me to walk or take the ATV and maybe get a few. I know the hay flats are popular, but where should I enter them? (Plus, I can't use the ATV on the flats yet, I know that much.) Any other places would be welcome as well.

Water Dog by Richard Wolters. The AKC snobs on here won't tell you that, but it works fine.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

"Retriever Puppy Training : The Right Start For Hunting" by Cherylon Loveland & Clarice Rutherfood - http://www.gundogsupply.com/bkk-0523.html Excellent, covers the basics and inexpensive

"The 10-Minute Retriever : How To Make A Well-Mannered, Obedient, Enthusiastic Gun Dog in 10 Minutes A Day" by John & Amy Dahl - you can find it at Amazon.com

Evan Graham's "Puppy Program" DVD I haven't seen, but a lot of people like it. His "Smartwork For Retrievers", vol. 1 covers basic training, step-by-step. His books/DVDs are available at http://rushcreekpress.com/allproducts.html

Are you getting one of Mary's Blazer x Hilde pups?

Thanks for the book recommendations.

3CBRS - Yes, I am getting one of Mary's. Very excited. Just got to looking into training, and while the time is not an issue at all (have lots of it), the money is (don't have lots of it! LOL). I just can't afford $500-600 a month for training. I will probably do a few hours each month with a professional and the rest at home, hence, the books.

Trained many dogs over the years, hunting partners, buddies, kennels etc...WATERDOG!
    Great training tools and has a ton to offer the novice to expert handler. You will not be disappointed.
    3 things to remember, and the Dog Forum will have a ton on there......patience, 10-20 mins a day and donít rush the dog, even if you think he or she is ready to move to the next level.
    You will have checks and balances in the training.....stay with them and you will be rewarded. If you start messing with the program, it will mess up the dog.
    Once you get your dog going in the right direction and feel confident he is marking and doing singles...maybe a double or two. Reinforce this and get involved in the hunt test...it will build your confidence as well as the dogs.
    Good luck and have fun
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks Duckhunter. I definitely won't rush him. I am not familiar with the terminology yet. What do you mean when you say "comfortable he is marking and doing singles"?

Confident not comfortable....confident-- as he knows what he is suppose to do..and you are confident in what he is doing...he has been trained and reached that level of training. Over and over he is going and getting singles and doubles by following your commands to a T.

Comfortable...is a word you should never use when training...lol..unless you are saying, " I am comfortable with my dog jumping off of a building to retrieve a duck" You should never be comfortable with your dog being at a certain level of training..you should be confident he knows where the both of you are before moving to the next level.

Remember one more thing....you are going to be harder to train than the dog...you will lose your patience before the dog does and you will need to take more breaks than the dog. Trust me, and I am sure others will attest to this as well. You will either get obsessed with this or it will feel like a chore...remain obsessed and enjoy the time with your friend. There will be times..when you will say, "when is this guy going to get it?, I have done this over and over..he just does not seem to understand what I want from him".....if this happens..go back to the step before and reinforce it again..9 times out of 10...you pushed him too far too fast and you might have thought he had it..but he did not..just got lucky.

PM me if you really want to get in depth.....read the book twice before you start training and make sure you understand everything...if you have question...PM me... I am sure there are many on here or the Dog Training Forum that will help. There is also a ton of information online in ref to Waterdog.

Just stick with the program, and enjoy. The biggest decision you have is...am I going to do this with an E-Collar or not... I will tell you it will speed up the process..but if you do not introduce him or her to the collar the right way, it will ruin your dog.

Good luck
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.