Thread: site selection--need input

Default site selection--need input

I'm throwing around a few ideas for where to build a small log cabin on my land.

1. I've got a small knoll that offers a view, but would leave the cabin exposed to the elements and highly visible from a distance.

2. Or, I can build it in some timber that would shelter it from the wind and blowing snow. But, I would have little to no view from the cabin itself.

It would be nice to enjoy the view from the front porch, but I also worry about it being visible to people with ill intentions (unfortunately, they're out there...)

Any thoughts?

In either case, the ground is about the same, well drained, rocky soil.

Bobble

Build it where you will get the most enjoyment from it. Never leave anything of sentimental value in a cabin. Strictly Utilitarian items should be left. I have never worried about the things I leave at the cabins.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I agree 100% with Akres. Given the two choices listed above, I would go for option #2.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Thanks for the input. I tend to lean more toward option 2 as well, the shelter and seclusion that the timber provides is hard to beat.

How much time am I really going to spend sitting on my front porch enjoying the view anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Thanks for the input. I tend to lean more toward option 2 as well, the shelter and seclusion that the timber provides is hard to beat.

How much time am I really going to spend sitting on my front porch enjoying the view anyway?
    Amazingly, too few cabin/home builders ask themselves this question. They go to the expense of developing a view, building a deck/veranda and then go inside and close the doors and curtains, to keep out the skeeters and the cold. I think you have it figured out pretty well.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

If you want a good view build yourself a small tree house. Just don't drink too many beers while you're up there ...
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

Build it on the knoll. Why would you want some scum bag deter you from your view? Also building in the trees give the said scum bags better cover. If they want in there's little you can do to stop them if your not there. Keep in mind small caliber rapid fire weapons are better for indoor defense (less mess) and larger caliber rapid fire weapons are better for fleeing scum bags.

Locks keep honest people out and you nor I can fix the stupid ones.