Thread: M 118 LR powder?

Default M 118 LR powder?

Does anyone know what powder the army uses for M 118 LR?
    Im trying to handload a duplicate load.

I took one apart and weighed the powder. 42.5 gr
    175 gr SMK
    lack city brass.

At first I thought 4064 but the granules in the m118 lr are smaller.

Thanks in advance.

RL15 my brother. Run 40 to start. Quickload it. I run 40 with 185s but with larger capacity brass.

To the best of my knowledge the Lake City M-118 special ball is loaded with IMR 4895. You can probably confirm this with the correct military TM on small arms ammunition. 42.5 would seem a touch warm, but not unreasonable. I tend to run my M1-A on the light side. Over 30,000 rounds served.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Well, after some quick research on the all-knowing internet, it seems the Alliant powder website claims RL-15 is the powder currently in use for M-118LR. I guess I'll have to throw away my 9 lbs of 4895. The 195-6x I fired off the 600 yd line this last summer just wasn't good enough. I know my rifle can shoot, the question is can I shoot. Some days better than others.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks guys. Reloader 15 is what I need.