Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New "Black Bear" Firearm.......What do yo think......."

Default My New "Black Bear" Firearm.......What do yo think......."

My new DLP "Black Bear" Firearm..........??????

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=462

So which one?

You got an AR .223 for bear?? I think I will pass.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    My new DLP "Black Bear" Firearm..........??????

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=462
    Kwell!! 223 will do a great job on them kritters. once to the back of the head and done...

unless of course your going to do like some of them folks out on the Susitna river do.. and gut shoot them so they wander off and Die..then well....never mind
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    You got an AR .223 for bear?? I think I will pass.
    Do you think I need a Bigger cartridge.........?

Do you think I need a Bigger cartridge.........?
    Nah, Go tripod mounted, belt fed, full auto. That setup should be the first in your neck of the woods...
    What are you trying to do with the bears?? Kill, wound, scare, impress??

Quote Originally Posted by B&C 04 View Post
    Nah, Go tripod mounted, belt fed, full auto. That setup should be the first in your neck of the woods...
    What are you trying to do with the bears?? Kill, wound, scare, impress??
    A lot of Polar Bears have been harvested with the .222 Remington. However the harvesters were master hunters.

I thought you used a 6.8 SPC??

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I thought you used a 6.8 SPC??

I do............I was just fishing with the .223 bait. Hoping someone would say .223 won't kill a bear.
    I did order that Rock River Operator 2, for parts. I want to up-grade one of the 6.8 SPC's.

I do............I was just fishing with the .223 bait. Hoping someone would say .223 won't kill a bear.
    I did order that Rock River Operator 2, for parts. I want to up-grade one of the 6.8 SPC's.
    I've always wanted to take a blackie with one of my AR's...

I would much prefer JOE'S OLD DOUBLE
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I know a guy who as of 20 years ago had shot 36 moose with an AR-15 in .223 all one shot instant kills. I should guess him and his boys are well over 80/90 moose by now. They just tag them at the base of the antler into the brain. They drop straight down. You gotta be a good shot. I am not that good, but he and his boys are.

6.8SPC does wonders on a black bear(huge wound channel!), worked pretty good on a moose I shot also.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    6.8SPC does wonders on a black bear(huge wound channel!), worked pretty good on a moose I shot also.
    Awesome! Mind sharing what load, barrel length and shot distance? I've been on the fence on building a 6.8 and I just need a little help to get over. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    Awesome! Mind sharing what load, barrel length and shot distance? I've been on the fence on building a 6.8 and I just need a little help to get over. Thanks
    It was a 110grn Vmax I believe on the black bear, 16" Bushmaster XM15, moose was shot at about 80yards and black bear at 15yards. Not long shots but I wouldn't be afraid to shoot farther. Don't remember what load was used on the moose, but it did the job on him. Black bear dropped in less than 10 feet.

I can't see why the .223 wouldn't work. Here is a vid I stumbled across on youtube where a young girl uses an AR on several Caribou. Puts a pretty nice bull down DRT with it easily. They claim 300 plus yards which I think may be a stretch but it was a pretty long poke.

I dont want to tell anybody whats wrong or right but why would you want a little gun with a huge carring capacity opposed to a gun that has the knock down. A 223 shouldnt be used on anything larger than a deer and the ar-15 was designed for combat not hunting, especially bear .Can you kill bear with a shot from a 223? yeah probably but doesnt the animal deserve a little more than that, but its legal,so.....just my views

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    I dont want to tell anybody whats wrong or right but why would you want a little gun with a huge carring capacity opposed to a gun that has the knock down. A 223 shouldnt be used on anything larger than a deer and the ar-15 was designed for combat not hunting, especially bear .Can you kill bear with a shot from a 223? yeah probably but doesnt the animal deserve a little more than that, but its legal,so.....just my views
    One shot in the brain with a .223 will kill a black in the same mega-second as a .458 win. Mag. to the brain. A mega second is a mega second.

one could argue that the bear didn't "deserve" to die, but that ain't going to bring him back from the dead no matter what you shoot em with. I subscribe to the dead is dead line of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    one could argue that the bear didn't "deserve" to die, but that ain't going to bring him back from the dead no matter what you shoot em with. I subscribe to the dead is dead line of thinking.
    If it smashed the door to the grain barn, and ate the livestocks food, or ate my Ski-Doo seat, it "Deserves to die". Remember the great line in the movie The Unforgiven: "I don't deserve to die I was building a house"......."Deserveings got nothing to do with it......BANG"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast