Thread: Continued use of ORVs in the Nebesna Area. Comments needed.

Exclamation Continued use of ORVs in the Nebesna Area. Comments needed.

The National Park Service (NPS) comment period on whether to continue to allow ORV use in the Nebesna area ends Nov 10th. Even if you don't use this area now, it would be beneficial to comment in case you ever do or they force current users to hunt elsewhere causing more crowding in your favorite area. We need more space not less. The current preferred alternative is to only allow local or native subsistence users motorized access while restricting any non-locals. Totally discriminates against the working man in Alaska who's paying for NPS funding with tax dollars. Go figure!

If you want to comment here's the link:

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentF...cumentID=35478

If ORV users would just state that- they would like the opportunity to continue riding on all 116 miles of inventoried ORV trails within the Wrangell-St. Elias National Preserve that might be helpful.

I commented on this proposal and I read that Alternative #5 was the preferred option that the Park Service was considering. Alternative #5 is basically keeping the most trails open for the most users in the Park and Preserve, hardening the bad spots on the trails, expanding non-motorized trails, instuting a user fee, and couple other things, but NOT restricting access for anyone. Not sure where you got the information that the preferred alternative was blocking access for the working man.

Any ideas as to what came of this?

What the heck happened to the EIS that was to be completed summer 2011? They're actually going to keep it open FOR ALL? Not just a select few, as the case is now?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    What the heck happened to the EIS that was to be completed summer 2011? They're actually going to keep it open FOR ALL? Not just a select few, as the case is now?

Tim
    They are keeping it open for all as long as outsiders, non-federally qualified subsistence users, will pay to keep the trails from degrading to unsustainable conditions. The feds are now coming up with their approved management plan. Keep checking the Alaska NPS website for notice that an ORV management decision has been made.

Reading between the lines, I believe what will happen is that they won't have the funds to upgrade trails to the NPS "sustainable" standard and will therefore close the trails to everyone except federally qualified users. All the outsiders will be restricted until they can fix the trails. It will cost a bunch of money to fix trails to their standards and the government is broke. The few dollars brought in by user fees won't even scratch the surface to fund the trail improvement they will want and the outsider, ie majority of the tax payers, won't be given access. JMO and what I see coming in the crystal ball.

You're probably right. This is where the "outsider" or private citizen or private groups can step in and take control. If you really, really, really, want access then organize, raise the money, and harden the trails to the "standard." It would take a lot of work and money, I agree, but at least the option is there and the EIS did not result in just a blanket, "non-motorized" area. If and when that ever happens there will be no chance of ever getting it changed, so I'm glad for now that it seems to be no major changes other than wanting the trails to be defined, and hardened.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    You're probably right. This is where the "outsider" or private citizen or private groups can step in and take control. If you really, really, really, want access then organize, raise the money, and harden the trails to the "standard." It would take a lot of work and money, I agree, but at least the option is there and the EIS did not result in just a blanket, "non-motorized" area. If and when that ever happens there will be no chance of ever getting it changed, so I'm glad for now that it seems to be no major changes other than wanting the trails to be defined, and hardened.
    The best option would be to leave it as is. There's probably not enough people using the area to ever raise enough money to harden the trails to the "standard". In the mean time subsistence/rural users can rut up the trail all they won't, keeping the tax paying "non local" out of the area. I'm sure rural folks will want to help fund the improvements. NOT! Secured private hunting ground while the non local has to hike in. Divide and conquer! Instead of fighting the system most will just hunt somewhere else causing more overcrowding in other areas. All trails should remain open and repaired as needed. Not closed until repairs can be completed! You'll have some government schmuck keeping the trail closed because of some subjective standard.

All good points and I agree with ya. My comments are made in light of the "system" that we do have not what I think should be. I have 17 acres off of MP 54 McCarthy road and I didn't even make it out there this year. I've never been on the Nabesna road, so to say I have a dog in this fight would be a little over statement. I'm familiar with the area, and just as I was getting into wheeling and exploring different parts of the state the trail closures were implemented along the Nabesna road, which sucks, and like you said, I moved on and spend time wheeling off Denali Hwy, and Eureka, where there are less restrictions. I made my comments on the EIS, which is more than I've done for other managment plans.

I hunted there a few times until the restrictions were imposed nearly four years ago. H-grove unfortunately you're reading betwix the lines is probably accurate. Bummer.

Tim