Thread: Scout Scopes

Question Scout Scopes

What other scout scopes are out there? I know Leupold makes a 2.5 x 28mm scout scope for $300, but I think I want more than 2.5 power. Weaver has a 4 x 32 for $180. Is there anything else out there?

Can I use a handgun scope? Some handgun scopes have an eye relief of 10-20 inches; the scout scopes seem to have an eye relief of 8.5-10 inches. What am I looking for regarding eye relief and field of view? I'm assuming that the larger the field of view the better.

Does Bushnell/Nikon or others make scout scopes or handgun scopes that will work? Also, does it matter if I use a Marlin or XS scout scope rail, and do I have to drill/tap to mount the rail? Btw, I have a 444 Marlin XLR.

Lotta question, thanks.
    Tim

The other maker of "Scout Scopes" is Burris. Don't get hung up on magnification- in a Scout scope a higher power can lead to a host of issues. About 2-3x is all most folks can stand and still shoot with both eyes open. Shooting with both eyes open is the best feature of an intermediate eye relief scout.

I made one of the best shots of my hunting lifetime with a .308 Steyr equipped with a Leupold scout scope- a whitetail at a lasered 270yds.

I have a Leatherwood 2-7x scout scope on my .45-70. I'm not normally a fan of Leatherwood, but this scope is really nice.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I would think that the Leupold 2.5x scout scope would easily get you out to the effective range of that .444. I had one and liked it fine.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Good point about the magnification, hodgeman. I've never heard of Leatherwood until now, searched and found one on midway or Brownell's, don't remember which.

Good point tyrex. I was banking on shooting Leverevolution 265s and I'm going to begin handloading Beartooth 330's, so I doubt I'll be shooting past 200 yards, even with the Hornady's.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    I would think that the Leupold 2.5x scout scope would easily get you out to the effective range of that .444. I had one and liked it fine.

FWIW I put a cheap ($60) NcStar 2.75 Scout on my marlin 4570. Just wanted to try the set-up before I shelled out $$$. As it turns out the NcStar has held zero for around 200 heavy loads. Optics are very clear. Thinking of changing out, just because I now know I prefer a red-dot and will add a magnifier. But for $60 it is worth getting just to see if you like the set-up. The NcStar is going onto my sons Marlin1894 357 mag.