Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak black tails and a white faced grizz

Default Kodiak black tails and a white faced grizz

Well we finally got to go back to Kodiak this year,My brother his son a couple out of state buddies John Eric and I loaded up the morning of the the in Andrew airs fleet and headed for the cabin.We landed at 11:30 and John and Eric talked me into going up and checking the hills above the cabin.We through are day bags together and headed up the lagoon in a canoe.

We started climbing and wright away John asked is this a sheep hunt?This was his first hunt on the island and didn't think it was so steep.After alot of sweating and a few water breaks we finally made it to the top.We walked the spine into a bowl that held deer in the past and sat down to glass a bit.After a few minutes a put my binos down and got a piece of candy out my bag when i turned around there was a buck standing out in the open 30 yards from me!I was wondering how I missed him when i was taking aim and took him with a shot through the lungs.

John and Eric came to me from there positions and we headed down toward my buck.With three guys boneing out the deer we made quick work of the task.Just as we were done washing our hands and knifes off and put in our packs,John spotted a deer crossing the spine we were just on.We layed down and made out another buck.It was Eric's turn and at yards Eric dumped him with one shot out of his .300 win mag.

It was only 3:00 we had 2 bucks down and heard a couple shots across the lagoon,What a start to a great trip.We got back to the cabin to find my brother and his boy stayed back to unpack all our stuff and cook a meal.It started to get dark and the two out of stater's weren't back yet and we were getting worried.We started up the Yamaha and headed to were they had there boat and seen them heading down.They had two bucks on there backs and it took them awhile because they never knew about boneing out a critter and took them out skin and all,that made for a unnecessary heavy load.

That night it was close to a full moon and clear,We were hopeing it wouldn't effect the deer movement and it turned out it did.The next morning we headed out in three groups,this time I went with Reid and Alec for a lesson on field dressing.We walked most of the morning with only seeing a set of horns above the brush for a flash and nothing else.We sat in a good glassing area and ate our lunch.Reid spotted a buck and we packed up and put a stalk on.We set up at 300 yards and Reid took the shot.The fist hit him low and his follow up put him down.

After cutting him up and splitting the load we hunted our way back to the boat with seeing no deer and a few bear.We get back to the cabin and no one else seen any bucks and just a few does.That night it was a full moon and it was so bright out and we knew the deer were going to move at night and lay up in the day.The next day we all stomped all over those hills seeing only does and fawns all day,are guess was right those deer must have just been laying in the brush.

That night the wind picked up and was shakeing the cabin,it made for a long night.It kept at it all day and was really howling.We all just decided to make it a poker day and cooked up a tasty deer stew.It kept at it all night and into the morning and we woke to some sideways rain.At about lunch time we new it wasn't letting up so I got hustled by my nephew at a few hands of poker.Man everyone was hopeing for some change in the weather when we hit the sack that night.

We woke up the 5th day to a low ceiling and a little rain.We put on the rain gear and headed out.After all that weather the last two days we knew they had to be on the move.We walked up about 500ft when we seen a deer staring at us in a clearing in the brush.Eric was quick on the draw and took the faceing on shot and dropped the buck with a neck shot.

We split the load and walked all day with out seeing another buck.There were some gun shots heard so we hoped the bagged something today to.We all got back around the same time and my nephew got a nice 3x3 it proved to be the best buck yet and the little guy knew it would be hard to top,He knew the big buck prize was going to be his a brand new havlon knife.They forgot there camera and didn't get a field pic,I wish I got a better pic but here it is

The next morning we got some snow and we could really tell where most of the sign was and picked up a buck pretty quick.I had a 320 yard shot in the snow and made a perfect hit and he went sliding down the snow.

we hunted hard the rest of the day with seeing alot of does and fawns,we count 28 but didn't see a buck.

Day 7 we wake up knowing it was are last day to hunt and nobody wanted to return back to the real world,There is just something about that place and no were else is the same.This time we decide to walk a few miles up the river before we head up and seen a few monster bears feeding on the silvers.Its funny I never take pics of the bears I always find myself clinching to my gun finding away around them.As soon as we get above the bush line we spot a huge bodied deer and set up for a better look.No one could explain the horns from 400 yards but we knew they were there.Reid made a perfect shot again and we worked our way down and up the brush choked draw.When we got to the buck we all three were in awe.

I have seen the stag bucks before but this guy looked as big as a mule buck,We didn't weigh it but I know for certain he was 200lbs.Alec being from Florida and Reid from Idaho they have never seen horns like that.One base was 8 inch's around and he had 21 points!!!He was proud about that on for sure.

Once again we get done doing our chore when we look over and see another buck at 300 yards just feeding away.We make it out as a buck and Alec set up for a shot.He took him down with his 7mm and we hiked on over to see his trophy.

Well after a great last day with two good buddies we headed out of the hills for our last time,we all had smiles on our faces telling story's of the last week.They said this was one of there best hunts the have been on.For there first trip to Alaska and hunting one of the less sought after trophy's here the are going to sure enjoy there next hunt targeting moose.We got back to the cabin and a blew on my predator call and in came a pair of foxes.Got a double with the ol' .17 hmr

We woke to good weather packed up and waited for the birds to pick us up.It was a great trip all said we took 14 bucks between us all and John got two does.We all cant wait tell next year.

Default a few more pics

Default The bear hunt

Well after a short flight back to town me and john went and registered for a bear tag and went and said fair well to the guys at the airport then went and hit the sack early.We woke up before light and got on a river we planed to hunt and waited for day break.We seen sign every were but no bear.It started to get dark so we headed for a warm meal and hit the sack.

the next morning we hunted the hills above the lake seeing only a sow with cubs and a doe deer.We descended down the mountain and on the way to the truck we heard five round report of a rifle,someone must have got one.We got back thinking 8 days in the season and already 10 bears sealed it might have pushed the bears from the road and weren't expecting to get one.

The next morning we found people at every spot we wanted to go into but found a trail that went into some marshes and up a mountain.We walked all day with seeing only fresh sign.We got pretty far back in there and decided to head back and pack up for our flight home in the morning.We sat and drank some water when i seen a bear headed our way.

Right away we knew it wasn't a big bear,but watched with interest anyway.We then noticed it was limping up front and with the binos could tell she was shot in the front paw.A quick discussion about leaving her wounded I told john I feel sorry for it but I'm not going to not have a chance not to hunt them for four years for such a small bear.I guess he is a better man than me but she didn't have any cubs so John set up for the shot.It was slightly quartering away at 180 yards and john took aim at the front shoulder.It hit its mark blowing through the front shoulder and out it's neck dropping her in his tracks.

Not a big on but Johns first 7'8"

Now thats a nice hunt all the way around. Very cool buck, couple of fox and a nice bear. Thanks for sharing.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

You need anymore friends? I'm potty trained and I can feed myself... Anyhow great looking deer

Wow kotton, wow, thats a all round kodiak hunt there, nice bucks too, that nontypical is a realy different never seen one like that before, and the nephew got a nice one! that registration hunt payed off for you, at least you guys got one, not a monster but i would have been happy with him thats a good bear, and you guy did a very ethical thing by taking a wounded bear. thanks for the great pics and story to boot!

A real good hunt! Thanks for taking the time to share it. At 7' 8", still a nice bear and good ethics on display.

right on kotton....good job on the successfull mixed bag.

kool hunt man...yall look like u had fun
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

great hunt & photos.
    Sure hope the young fellow in post # 2 has an entry in one of the Big Buck contests - that's a real good looking buck.
    Looks like everyone had a good time.
    Gary

Awesome hunt all the way around. Does anyone know how that happens on the atypical? Also good job on the wounded brownie which looks like it has a nice hide.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Does anyone know how that happens on the atypical?
    I've read that one cause of such antler malformations can be an injury to the testicles. That can cause irregularities in the hormone regulation system, thus causing unusual antler growth and late velvet shedding. I'm not sure if the hunter noticed, but it would have been interesting to take a look at the testes to see if there was evidence of an injury or infection.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've read that one cause of such antler malformations can be an injury to the testicles. That can cause irregularities in the hormone regulation system, thus causing unusual antler growth and late velvet shedding. I'm not sure if the hunter noticed, but it would have been interesting to take a look at the testes to see if there was evidence of an injury or infection.
    I was going to ask what the ole boys junk looked like. I recall a few pics a year or two ago about big bodied bucks with funky "pineapple" horns and nothing swinging. Rumor has it they taste just fine though.

Default stag bucks

We did check his junk and no testes,no marks from healing either.This is about the 6 buck Ive seen dead and they all don't have testes,no apparent damage either just not there.The only thing we come up with is interbreeding??They all have some funky horns and all were covered with velvet except this one from two years ago.

They sure are bigger bodied than a normal buck,and all the bucks we took had swollen necks and these guys don't.We find there meat to be more tender kinda like a steer bull would taste.I would really like to know the real answer to this but everyone I asked can't explain why.

Cryptorchidism
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874179/

One of the authors is James Jacobson, who guides on Kodiak. I talked to him once about the condition on the south end of the Island and he said he studied the deer with Cryptorchidism for many years. Pretty interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSwimmer25 View Post
    Cryptorchidism
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1874179/

One of the authors is James Jacobson, who guides on Kodiak. I talked to him once about the condition on the south end of the Island and he said he studied the deer with Cryptorchidism for many years. Pretty interesting stuff.
    Thanks for shareing that,we've always wondered what was wrong with them.

Back in Washington the Fish and Game folks were releasing stocked trout that were genetically altered not have a reproductive system, without wasting their energy on producing eggs and sperm, they grow at a crazy rate. I'm curious if these "stag" deer are exhibiting a similar trend as you note that they tend to be bigger bodied?

What an Awesome Hunt Kotton, Thanks for posting, and all the Pics, Fantastic

and then there's that kid, the one with the Big Buck contest winner, "That kid is Bad" and what a Cool Lookin' Buck he got there !

Great Write up, sounds like a Way Great Time in the Blacktail Hills
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast