Thread: Brooks Sheep in 2011...

Default Brooks Sheep in 2011...

I was hoping someone may want to talk with me over PM's about some specifics on the Brooks Range. I'm going up with a partner next year, we're going to book with Wright Air out of Fairbanks and need to nail down a general area to go to so we can book with them.

I've never hunted sheep before and this will be my partner's and I's first flyout hunt. I've talked with a lot of people and looked at a lot of maps and google earth. I got a call in with the bio in Fairbanks, just waiting on a call back. I've got a couple ideas on the Canning, Hulahula, and Romanzof mountains.

I'm curious more than anything about hunter numbers. Most guys I've spoke with say that no matter where we go, we'll see sheep. I have heard some people say that some areas get considerable pressure. What does that mean, did you see another person on or hunt? Or did you see lots of people.

In any of these areas, what can we expect to see for Caribou on this trip?

Anyway, if anyone wants to talk privately, I'd love to hear any of your experiences on your hunts. I'm not looking for any specifics on spots but general stuff on these areas.

Thanks

The two drainages you mention above to include the Mountain range you've mentioned gets slammed hard with hunters theres two big outfitters that guide in those areas not to mention all the locals with supercubs, I have hunted those areas and have seen it myself. After seeing how hard these places get hit, I have found other more secluded places in other ranges to take my kid to hunt sheep.

Me and my dad are planning to go up there too. This is my first sheep hunt but my dads second. We have heard of many sheep back there and you are almost gerenteed to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by #1grousekiller View Post
    Me and my dad are planning to go up there too. This is my first sheep hunt but my dads second. We have heard of many sheep back there and you are almost gerenteed to get one.
    While I wish you luck, going into a sheep hunt with the idea that it is "almost guaranteed" is potentially setting yourself up for disappointment. Even in areas with good sheep numbers, it can be difficult to find and successfully stalk a legal ram. Other factors beyond your control can also affect your chances of success, including other hunters, weather, injuries, and more. More than a few well planned Brooks Range hunts have fallen apart due to an early snowstorm or other unforseen circumstances. You may very well have the hunt of a lifetime, but a sheep hunt - any sheep hunt - is a difficult endeavor that will usually stretch you in ways you don't anticipate. Good luck to you, and I hope your dreams of a ram or two come true.

Man, the thought of a guaranteed harvest would almost be enough to make me give up sheep hunting. I think 98% of my enjoyment stems from the fact that it is a real struggle and you have to push yourself to have even a small chance at success. Without the sheep winning most of the time then why get excited about hunting them? Heck they might as well be a whitetail deer if that were the case.

Default Brooks is hit or miss

As for the caribou part you asked about that can be on or off. 2010 there were not many caribou in that area. In 2009 there were many caribou to be had. It depends on the weather and the wind and who knows what else. Many of the caribou transporters this year were not having allot of luck East of the Dalton. Kavik camp was not overrun with caribou as normal. There were a few but they were spotty at best.
    If you are dropped off commercially in the Brooks, others will be there. There are usually multiple airplanes at the larger strips along with the guys that were dropped off. It can become very crowded. Then you also have your Trooper friends that say "Hello." He was very nice and sealed the sheep saving a trip to Fish and Game to get it sealed.P8100272.jpgIMG_0774.jpg

Does any one know if Walt Audi still flies out of Barter Island?

Default No more

P4060078.jpg

Walt does not fly anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Walt does not fly anymore.
    That's a relief....no more planes dropping out of the fog onto my head.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Without the sheep winning most of the time then why get excited about hunting them? Heck they might as well be a whitetail deer if that were the case.
    Hmmm.
    My goal is to not let those sheep "win" and fortunately they haven't in awhile. My excitement never wanes either. I'm not going in for second best.

And a whitetail harvest is never a given...my wife took a real trophy this year, but I've been working four years for a big one.
    'Have a much better sheep success rate...
    Proud to be an American!

Thanks POLARDDS I guess the picture says it all.

I was checking on doing a similar trip. Looks like the area I want to go to is already booked for the 2011 sheep season. Wow....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    theres two big outfitters that guide in those areas .
    Which outfitters are they? I think I know who one is.

We booked about two weeks ago and decided on an area. Although a popular area, there was only one group of two hunters that would be flown in to that area by Wrights, before us. I must say, the Fairbanks bilogists were of no help. I called and left polite messages with two different people about specific areas and no return phone call. As pressure to book became more and more we finally had to pick a place. Even at that, we aren't getting into the area until the day before the opener at about 10:30-11am. So not much time to get in to where we want to be first thing.

Although I do know that there will only be two guys from wrights in there before us, I don't know how many other charters fly in there. So we'll see how it goes. I do know that I will be prepared to walk 12+ miles out of the strip to find a sheep. Conditioning is one thing I do have control over I suppose!

Good luck to everyone else that's heading out as well in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    I do know that I will be prepared to walk 12+ miles out of the strip to find a sheep. Conditioning is one thing I do have control over I suppose!
    That is the right attitude and I predict success.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    That is the right attitude and I predict success.
    I agree. I have a good feeling about your hunt. You seem to have the right attitude and demeanor

Shoot with that kind of leg distance you might as well hike in off the Dalton. There are plenty of sheep within that range off the road.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Be prepared to walk 20+ each way and you'll never regret it.
    We will be prepared to cover as much distance as it takes for mossyhorn to have his first full curl in his hands!And bighorse I've allways wanted to fly out for sheep,finally this year will be the first...If one of us gets skunked I know of a great spot that we will walk into that holds some rams!