Thread: Dreams do come true!

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Dreams do come true!

I've got a great story to tell. I am a member of the Elmendorf Aeroclub and love it. (I'll be holding short RWY 6 while those beautiful F-22s take off in formation followed by one or two C-130s, and then I'll take the rwy and putz off at 55K) Well, a few days before this summer's airshow my instructor and I had spent some time over Goose Bay/Big Lake/Birchwood and were on our way back to EDF. We were cleared to land RWY 24...long final. On approach, the lead Blue Angel requested clearance to land. (It was so cool to be on the same frequency as ATC and the Blue Angels.) ATC notified him of my position, instructing him to make visual and then circle around until I landed (not in those exact words...but you get the idea.) Blue Angel couldn't make a visual and asked for a repeat on my position. ATC gave it and then I heard Blue Angel state that he had a visual (of little ol' me put-putting along at 90K!) Right at that moment, about 1,000-1,500 above me, he appeared and swooshed around. I got goose bumps. My instructor, who has flown Air Guard for 15 years and whose husband is an AF pilot, was even impressed. I was sharing the same airspace as the Blue Angels! I've watched this team since I was seven years old and would dream of flying with them. It's amazing, dreams do come true... but maybe in a little different way than we expected. GOD I LOVE TO FLY!!!
    Keep the nose in the wind, Pam

very cool!!

That's awesome Pam! I love to hear your enthusiasm for aviation!

There are older jet drivers all over gereral aviation in AK, love the hangar talk when a REO for a Navy F4 Fantom starts talking about his missions in Nam, or the Airforce C-130 engineer talks about dropping sona bouys looking for USSR subs or taking off short with 50,000 lb of payload ... or F-15 jocks talking about being faster at low level, 800 kts, than the SR-71 Blackbird ... just a 30 year computer guy that was lucky enough to log about 2500 hrs in my C-180 in bush AK .... flew a f-16 sim in Fbx at Eillison in the 90's, came away with the feeling that .... yea I could do this, it is all about power, do not fly the wing.

Does not get any better than avaition in AK!

Oh yea ... Helped a guy parking a PA-20 a week or so ago in a hangar condo that I am a part of ... he was just renting space and we talked about easy places to off airport land with his Pacer, he came over to my hangar to "admire" my "souped up" 56 C-180, turns out he was a F-22 Raptor driver and he thought that I was the one to be listened to and respected, it is all a matter of perspective ....
    Last edited by ocnfish; 11-08-2010 at 20:18. Reason: one last thought