Thread: New to Calling Foxes

Default New to Calling Foxes

Hey all, I tried messing around with some jackrabbit distress calls down near mystery creek, and im wondering where would be the best places to go fox calling without going past the delta or sutton area... thanks

That's a pretty big area.....between Delta and Sutton...
    PC gag in place.

If your talking about calling foxes near mystery creek road, feel free to call them but do not kill them I'm pretty sure unit 15 is closed to fox because there just aren't that many so there is no open season.

catchfish is right there is no open season on fox in 15, so make sure you don't pull the trigger on them. But after you get some practice calling them down there come on up to the interior. We have fox coming out the ears right now. Darn things are everywhere seems like they had a good year, lots of young dumb foxes..... Except for one.... He is at least two and a cross half red half black with an all black tail. He is big really big and smarter than he should be. This bugger has managed to defeat all traps and avoid my rifle everyday. Last night while I was distracted setting a trap on the side of my property furthest from my chicken coup he snuck in under the wire and grabbed a rooster then dragged it back through the wire and off into the woods. He did this while I was outside. His only mistake was in grabbing a big rooster 12lb. It took him a second to kill it and it made noise. Then he had to drag it because it was too big to lift up. I was able to track him and recover the rooster (minus its head) but the fox escaped again!!! He didn't return that night either I think he knew I was waiting, watching in the dark..... Anyway come up here and shoot a few there everywhere especially along the river.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Quote Originally Posted by catchfish View Post
    If your talking about calling foxes near mystery creek road, feel free to call them but do not kill them I'm pretty sure unit 15 is closed to fox because there just aren't that many so there is no open season.
    Closed to hunting, trapping opens on November 10th, only 1 fox allowed. Can call and shoot with trapping license. Odds of actually getting one would be slim and none.

Ok so after all the fox issues I had this year with my chickens, and how stupid the foxes were for the most part when they were going after them it gave me an idea, I recorded the noise from my birds for 15 min. and then used that p at a place I knew foxes were thick, Long story short 15 mins. and I had two fox come in and nailed 1. Now I can't help but wonder if I should put a couple birds in a cage and bring them along :-)

Is that legal? to use a live chicken as bait/call

Because fox seem to become drooling idiots around them.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

My advice to you - the more I spend hunting these critters the more I realize perfect calling technique is not the answer to success. Keep in mind the predators in SC are not plentiful. You have to be in the right place at the right time. It's simple as that. Focus your attention on areas of heavy K9 activity. Spend as much time as you can walking the woods for K9's and you will find their travel corridors. If you stumble upon fresh tracks follow them. This will put you in the right spot. For awhile I patterned the K9's in my calling areas which has lead to much of my success. Find the locations of their travels and when they are traveling.

After you find these spots call the early morning and late evenings. Still, do not discount the mid day hours. I've taken one coyote and called one in for a buddy in the early afternoon. Again, it's all about being in the right place at the right time.

Calling K9's is a labor of love. I can put up 50 calling stands in my area and might see one or two K9's and hear their howls every other trip. Then again, they get a lot of pressure where I call. Don't expect success and find those spots of heavy travel and call during prime calling hours.