Thread: getting started need some help

Default getting started need some help

Ok so I am just getting into the whole predator hunting / trapping thing since I was 10 and I don't remember as much as I should. First I have shot 1/2 dozen fox in the last week or so, just got another one tonight. And I don't remember all the details of skinning to do it properly. Anyone in the north pole area want to give me a demo :-). Next my kids have gotten into this so much they want us to run a trap line on some property we own north of town. Just a little one for now, but we know there is a pack of wolves there and lots of fox. I have been reading up on the threads here, but would welcome any other tips especially geared towards doing it with young kids. Thanks

Andrew
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

No. 1: Join Ak. Trappers Assoc., go to the meetings, and read the magazine.
    No. 2: Start reading www.trapperman.com, the Wilderness Forum. Lots of info there.
    No. 3: Pile all those fox carcasses on your property in some brush where you can set snares. Maybe you have some places to snare rabbits too?
    Good luck.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

No. 1: Planning on it
    No.2: Just checked it out, thanks
    No. 3: Good idea, if the foxes keep coming at this rate its going to be a big pile

The first thing my son asked when we started getting foxes was can I have a blanket made of those... What kind of steak do you get from them. :-)
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

You have shot a half dozen fox in just a week? WOW! Maybe I'm showing how naive I am regarding predator calling, but that seems like a phenomenally good success rate! Congratulations!

Are you using an electronic caller or mouth calls? Are you calling during daylight or in the evening? I would love to get a single fox this year, so any tips you can share are certainly appreciated.

Brian I will be happy to share with you every detail of my technique, I am not sure if 6 is alot for week or not, but thats what I have so far. Though technically To be totally honest its more like 8 or 9 days.

First I have no calls, honest

To get started you will need to go down to your local home depot and buy 48 2x6, 12 2x8, and 12 2x4, In addition you will need r22 insulation, 22 sheets of plywood and some metal roofing. throw in some assorted nails, screws hinges and plastic sheeting.

Next construct a insulated shed at least 10x10 feet and 6 feet high.

For the next part you may need to wait until spring, unless you have friends that have a farm.

Go down to the local feed store and buy a dozen or so assorted poultry or fowl and invest way too much money in raising them to maturity by the following fall.

During this time you will probably have to replace some of these birds due to neighborhood dogs, ravens, hawks, eagles and owls.
    Also some will just plain old fall over dead for no apparent reason, though not until you have invested at least $30 or $40 into them.

Now you are almost ready for the fun part.

As winter approaches and the snow starts to fall, you will have to put the birds in at night but let them out during the day due to temp variations. In addition to this you may decide to butcher some for the holidays. when you do be sure to let the blood, feathers and such spread around your yard. This is essential

Now you must simply wait, every night all night long you will wait with a rifle in your hands you may be tempted to sleep at some point but do not give in to this temptation, after all you have worked towards this moment for the last year or so. you must stay awake. They will be watching you and the moment you fall asleep they will strike with lethal force. If you are determined enough and have enough discipline then you will find success. For they will come, the combination of cackling, crowing, and the smell will draw them in for miles. Now all you have to do is make sure you don't miss.

Hope this helps, and who knows with a little work and patience you too could be enjoy this kind of success in just 1 year. :-)

Seriously, I got 4 trying to steal chickens and two while ptarmigan hunting. Foxes really seem to love poultry in any form. and they are thick around Fairbanks this year.
    I had another one circle the pens tonight but I didn't get a shot and I know there is a black tailed red one out there still too.

Supporting Member

Great sense of humor! Here's wishing you continued success with your fox hunting!