Thread: Playining with filters

Default Playing with filters

Hey,

Blustery fall day in Sitka had me out playing with a filter my wife got me. It is kinda neat. Would love to see others and hear about how/why/where you use them.

Bruce

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

What kind of filter are you using, to make the water look frozen?

Brian, I would guess he used a dark filter that makes his shutter slow waaaaaay down to smooth out all the waves. Looks like a Graduated Neutral Density on the top shot, and for the bottom shot either a regular neutral density filter, or more likely the same ND Grad as before, but pulled all the way down to block the whole scene evenly. A polarizer can also be pressed into this kind of service.

Thanks Jim.

Fairly busy part of the harbor. I would have expected a boat to pass by during a long exposure.

Hey Brian and Jim,

My wife got me a used 10 stop screw-on nd filter. I was practicing metering and playing around with it. There were several shots with passing boats in them. The skiffs moves fast enough that there was just a ghost image(s) there. Some landscape folks had pictures where they blur the water and have the clouds appear to streak. I overdid the water here for that effect and it was too overcast to have any cloud definition. I have used it with waterfalls before but was just playing with it again. Wanted to know if anyone else had tips on setup or function. Just looking for ideas and insight.

Bruce
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

10 stops! OK. That's one dark piece of glass. But that's exactly what you want for doing these kinds of shots. I have stacked ND grads and a polarizer to get 6-7 stops of darkening, but a single filter like yours would work a lot better. What was your shutter speed? I know if you get it long enough moving cars, boats, and people walking through all disappear or just leave faint ghosting streaks.

I think most of them were between 10 and 15 seconds. I would love to be able to predict a balance where the water would become blurred and yet capture a boat with some degree of focus. I also have a replacement piece of welding hood glass. I rigged up some rubber bands to hold it in place over a reversed lens hood. It is equal to 12 stops but it changes coloring. I do have some pictures with it of swaying trees and streaking clouds. The b&w versions are kind of neat.

Just looking for some ideas/suggestions for using these.

A couple more from this weekend. Gray skies and gray water so not much of a chance for colors.

Black and white beach.

'Color' beach image.

Nice! I'm always a sucker for these kinds of shots. I like the misty look to them.

Still playing around with filters. Would like to use them the next time it is partly cloudy and the clouds are moving fast. I bet they could leave some neat streaks.

Bruce

I like the textured "feel" to the snow on Mt Edgecumbe in the B&W image.

Quote Originally Posted by olga1913 View Post
    Still playing around with filters. Would like to use them the next time it is partly cloudy and the clouds are moving fast. I bet they could leave some neat streaks.

Bruce
    This shot is amazing. I can believe I've gone this long without these filters. A must have!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"