Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side by side

Default Side by side

i have an ATV, but want to upgrade to a Side by Side, was wondering if anyone had any advice to give. is it a good idea to get rid of my ATV to get a side by side. i know they are wider, but i hate having to pack stuff on my racks and what not. just wondering what people think about the width and size hindering their hunting capabilities

I have owned 3 Polaris Ranger 6x6's. I will never go back to a 4 wheeler. For most trails there almost impossible to get stuck. They will go where a 4 wheeler can't. The extra set of wheels help distibute the weight. I would highly recommend a side by side if it has 6 wheels.

my uncle just sold his 6x6 and got a ranger 6x6. that thing is awsome..highly recommended!!

I have a 2007 Honda rancher 420, It's small compared to the rest of the atv market , I took big rig chains & fabed them into four wheeler chains. this year I hauled a moose & a half out-A hind quarter on the front rack & one on the back( for traction) the whole other moose was in a meat trailer(made by holiday parks fab shop). my personal belief is that when out in the hills I want something that i can handle,get unstuck,etc. I have friend that have side-by-sides , argo's, maxes,6x6's& lifted 4X4 trucks. I can go right where they go & for under $6,500.

I own a polaris RZR that i have many upgrades on, one of them is the RZR-S suspension which has a wider stance to it and had no trouble leading the way down 4-wheeler trails. Don't get me wrong it was tight and in some areas and it took backing up to get a tighter turn but no troubles at all and it was the 4- wheelers getting stuck not I. It is a way better ride quality than a 4-wheeler as well, never once did i come home with a sore back like i did from riding a 4-wheeler. Do yourself and your body a favor and retire the 4-wheeler and get a side x side.

if your back and body get sore from riding a fourwheeler...hmmmm....stay at the old folks home where you belong. lol... from what ive seen some of those new side by sides are super tough machines and can carry a lot of weight......HOWEVER......they will NOT and NEVER WILL go every place you can take a fourwheeler. PERIOD. never gonna happen. ive ridden with guys in side by sides...all kinds. and even a six wheeler. IMO you cant beat a good tough Honda Foreman 500....but if your doing alot of hill climbinb or high country riding...id stick with the wheeler...something lighter you can use ur body weight to keep from flipping if for some reason you need to do some side hilling......also if u hunt alone....its easier to get a wheeler unstuck than a side by side by yourself if your in a bog or somewhere a winch wont help you....ive pulled no less than ten side by sides out of mud holes i just took my wheeler through.........NUFF SAID
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have a prowler by AC, so does m buddy... i hunt with guys on Polaris, yama's and AC... they ALL break. they ALL carry. i still haul along my wheelers...

if i was to walk out and buy a new one today? i would look long and hard at the new AC 700, with the new body design... three seating option and suspensions up grade.. removable bed sides for a true flat bed or a full size bed with box.. Under bed storage, and no fenders to rip off.

http://www.atvriders.com/images/arct...s-tungsten.jpg
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Haha I have pulled more 4 wheeler out ie Hondas with my ranger I have gone places in that thing. It's isn't the machine it's driving skill! The side x side that impresses me is the yamaha rhino. I'm going to sell my 700x2 and wifes 650 artic crap and buy a 800 ranger 6x6... Also if you flip a side x side you went beyond the call of duty! Those things are hard to flip.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaBoy22 View Post
    my uncle just sold his 6x6 and got a ranger 6x6. that thing is awsome..highly recommended!!
    Isn't that Ranger 6X6 over 1500 pounds?

That would be the one thing to consider, most places that enact trail restrictions do so based on a set weight and most side by sides run very close/over the 1500 pound restrictions.

Something else is transportation from point A to point B. Hard to put anything but the smallest ATV next to it on the trailer as most Sidebys are about 60 inches wide and lengths exceed 10 feet.

I like the Polaris Razer so if A/C every came out with something similar I would buy it. The Razer is a little smaller at about 50" wide and 102" long, allowing you to put them on a trailer sideways legally.

Buy a Razer and keep your ATV as backup.

I got rid of my suzuki and bought a ranger side by side I love the thing I hauled out two moose in a trailer and a bed full of gear it was close to 1500 lbs total weight and a lot of mud and bogs in the way back to the truck they are really comfortable to ride/drive and can go MOST places that I could take my wheeler the places I couldnt go was because of the width they are wider. I have the 700 and would have bought the 800 if they had them at the time just because of the extra power but I cant complain about the 700. I have beat it pretty good and it has not given me any problems I wiold definatly get the biggest winch that you can for them I have the 4500 and it seems to be enough so far. I like the ability to hall all the gear I want and still be able to haul the meat back to town when I am successful. I have not rolled it yet and have had it in some pretty bad spots it takes some getting used to but once you do you will love it as well but the truth of it is that as stated in earlier posts it all comes down to what you prefer I am happy I traded in and got the side by side it also comes in useful around the house more than my wheeler did as well.

rawdogrichard maybe if you took the kiddie throttle lock off it and actually rode it (not 5mph around the yard)maybe just maybe you might be a little sore. I'm not sayin side x sides are bar none the best, but for ME(and i'm probably younger then you) they have done more for me and i've had way more fun on mine then ANY 4-wheeler i've rode over the yrs and on top of that can enjoy the ride with my daughter sittin next to me not behind me.

None of the trails in my area will fully accomodate a side by side of any kind that I have seen try so far. If I lived up around Denali/Eureka and did not plan to go anywhere else, I would seriously consider getting a side by side. But not at this time, because I rarely know from trip to trip where I will want to go next.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by rawdogrichard View Post
    if your back and body get sore from riding a fourwheeler...hmmmm....stay at the old folks home where you belong. lol... from what ive seen some of those new side by sides are super tough machines and can carry a lot of weight......HOWEVER......they will NOT and NEVER WILL go every place you can take a fourwheeler. PERIOD. never gonna happen. ive ridden with guys in side by sides...all kinds. and even a six wheeler. IMO you cant beat a good tough Honda Foreman 500....but if your doing alot of hill climbinb or high country riding...id stick with the wheeler...something lighter you can use ur body weight to keep from flipping if for some reason you need to do some side hilling......also if u hunt alone....its easier to get a wheeler unstuck than a side by side by yourself if your in a bog or somewhere a winch wont help you....ive pulled no less than ten side by sides out of mud holes i just took my wheeler through.........NUFF SAID
    There is no way any 4-wheeler would be able to climb the hills a 6-wheel Ranger will climb period!

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    There is no way any 4-wheeler would be able to climb the hills a 6-wheel Ranger will climb period!
    I wouldn't bet the family farm on that. There are a couple of the local boys around my parts that have yet to learn the lesson of Fear and It's Teachings. I have watched these two climb bluffs along the river in winter. Amazing where they can go. What this convinces me of more than anything, is that our machines are only limited by our abilities and judgement.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

you are delusional! lol....or else your hills are the speedbumps in the street outside your house.
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rawdogrichard View Post
    you are delusional! lol....or else your hills are the speedbumps in the street outside your house.
    No speedbumps anywhere near my house, I think you have to live in Anchorage for that.

I agree 100%. The extra axle acts as a wheely bar and prevents it from tipping over backwards at times when a 4-wheeler would. Now granted your front tires may be 18" off the ground while this is happening but you are still a long ways from tipping over. The front end floating while going up a hill takes some getting used to, but you are lined up straight you can easily climb stuff MUCH steeper than a wheeler can as I have had both 6X6s and wheelers and it is no contest. Also when going in and out of creeks with steep banks that are only a couple feet wide having that extra axle means many times at no one time is your entire wheeler in the creek making climbing in and out of those creek a lot easier and often requires no winching when the wheeler needs it.

Its hard to compare wheelers to other wheelers when other people are driving different things. Driver skills in negotiating obstacles often has much more to do with it than the wheeler they are on. However, stick the same driver on a 6x6 over a 4x4 and you will find you can go more places I believe.

Just because you saw brand X stuck in a mudhole somewhere and had to pull it out with brand Y means pretty much nothing. At some point they ALL get stuck, and if you don't you aren't using it to its potential.

Do not even waste time or $$ with a 4 wheeled version. Buy the 6x6 ranger and you will not be disappointed.

90% of my wheeling is in areas that a side by side won't fit, so it's a no brainer for me. Now, if I spent all my time with a wheeler in areas like Denali, Eureka and the like I might change my tune.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    90% of my wheeling is in areas that a side by side won't fit, so it's a no brainer for me. Now, if I spent all my time with a wheeler in areas like Denali, Eureka and the like I might change my tune.
    Yup,
    Even though I still carry a pruning saw and chainsaw from time to time, I am not real interested in spending my days cutting even wider swaths through the timber/brush.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast