Thread: Clamming etc. in March

Default Clamming etc. in March

Contemplating a trip north in March to winter king fish in Homer; was curious about getting razor clams in March; doesn't appear to be any favorable tides (minus) for the month (as shown on toptides.com) but there seems to be some days with close to 0 in feet; does anyone clam in March or is this just crazy? I know it'd be cold but willing to give it a go if I could do it with someone.

Thanks,
    Jim

no jim, it's gotta be at least a -2, closer to -3.
    we have tried clamming in march, and it is generally too effing cold.
    hands get numb, fingers get cut (they are called "razor" clams.... hey, what's that red stuff?), and the clams are usually really deep.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Yeah, kinda thought there'd be a party-pooper in the bunch!!!! I figured as much but had to ask anyway!
    Thanks!
    Guess you'll have to put me to work instead splitting wood or something...
    Jim

bunny hunting!

Right on! You guys can show me the ropes! (Can't wait to hunt with the fabled "Black Bear Kid")

Years and years ago, me and my gang (the really dumb ones) used to clam on a minus in the winter. We consumed a lot of alcohol that helped convince ourselves that it was a lot of fun. Oh, the fond memories of numb fingers, split nails, and cut finger tips that seemed to take the rest of the winter to heal still linger to this day. Actually, they are etched so deep, they'll never go away. Kinda like the scar I still have on the middle finger of my digger hand. Sometimes I think I've really matured over the years. Sometimes, not so much.

In the late 70's early 80's, after tieing flys and building rods all winter March was the time to shrimp off the Coast Gaurd dock on Homer (can't do that any more), put crab rings out in Katachmack bay and fill the skiff with King Crab (can't do that any more), and go fill the bucket with Cockells and the occasional male Dungeness crab (still can do that) on the first big tides of the season on the bay side of the spit in Homer .... After being cooped up all winter you just want to get out and do something :~)

I have gotten a limit at +.2 feet. Not near as good as a negative tide.

Went one time last winter. Tide was low when it was dark. Wife wouldn't let me stray too far out or she'd get a bit er, um, nervous.

Would not do it again when I have clams still in the freezer or 10$ to go buy some at segaya.

Cool no you can't ....

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    and go fill the bucket with Cockells and the occasional male Dungeness crab (still can do that)
    cockles have essentially vanished from the backside of the spit, and dungeness hasn't been open in over 10 years.

Oh well ... mabey the good old days were actually better, I also remember catching releasing about 30 steelhead in one day back when the catch limit was 3 fish on the Anchor river, 1978 I think. Jump in the plane these days to get my clams on the west side of Cook inlet.