Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: Alaska Hunting Encyclopedia

  1. #1

    Thumbs up Alaska Hunting Encyclopedia

    I have been compiling information, documentation and game dynamics for quite awhile. I am in the process of sorting through it and attempting to segregate the meaningful from the trivial. My intent is to publish several volumes. I have contacted a few publishers and have gotten back some very basic guidance on how to proceed. Mind you, this will be my first attempt at such a large undertaking. While I have done a fair share of technical writing, editing and prooofing, most of that has been done with a stubby pencil. Now with the aid of computers, internet and digital resources, I think I can manage to make this endeavor a reality. It has been suggested by one publisher, that it be in digital format, so it can be edited from time to time and maintained current. So that is quite likely how it will be, intially developed as a blog, with the final coming out as a Published Digital Reference or E Book. A lot of this is new to me, but very interesting.

    My first volume will be geared toward the bulk of our hunting community and focused on the Road System. What I envision have thus far, is a volume formatted much akin to that of the Milepost and the Highway Angler. Each highway detailed mile by mile, with adjustments to seasonal eg Spring and Fall and species opportunities eg Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game and Predators. Trailheads, pullouts, viewpoints and game migration routes will be identified by milepost as well as GPS Co-ordinates, in the event the actual milepost is unable to be easily ascertained.
    My second volume will focus on the existing Trail Systems connected to the Road System. Trailheads, points of interest, vantage points and will specify Winter, Summer or Year-round Use.
    My third volume will focus on the more prominent fly-out destinations, complete with Air Taxi points of contact and strip/lake conditions and locations for the private pilots.
    My fourth volume will focus on Trophy Hunts, exclusively. Probably the most demanding of the series, which is why it will be the last.

    Your thoughts?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  2. #2
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I can hear the collective shriek of the NIMBY's from her!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Sounds like one big complicated project. esp, info mile to mile.

    Good luck with this !

  4. #4
    Member Ryan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    98

    Default

    That's a heck of a project! I like the idea and think you would sell quite at few copies. Here is a link that I use when looking for trail heads throughout the state. You might already know about it, but just in case...http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/index.htm

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryandbrett View Post
    That's a heck of a project! I like the idea and think you would sell quite at few copies. Here is a link that I use when looking for trail heads throughout the state. You might already know about it, but just in case...http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/index.htm
    Thanks, added to my Favorites list. +1
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  6. #6
    Member Marc Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,279

    Default

    I'm all for information that assists hunters in becoming more proficient or experienced. However I'm against any place-name or specific geographic reference information being released with the intent of making it easier for hunters to hunt without doing any pre-hunt homework of their own.

    But it's a free world and it can't get much worse than it already is here, I guess.

    Good luck.

    Taylor

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    However I'm against any place-name or specific geographic reference information being released with the intent of making it easier for hunters to hunt without doing any pre-hunt homework of their own.
    Taylor
    Hopefully a reference of this kind will provide much in the way of their lesson plan. I don't think "pre-hunt homework" should be limited to the backroom of a retail outlet or in a garage with loud music being played to mask the conversation.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,124

    Default

    Akres,
    Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing a copy.
    I would not put the usual Fish and Game info that can easily be found on the internet in this Encylopedia though.
    My .02c
    BK

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,909

    Default

    You will probably want to leave Alaska. I imagine lot of folks be upset you giving up "thier" honey holes lol little do those guys know 100,000 other people know about it. I will be up front would I buy something like this no but I think your market will be in the lower 48 and new folks to Alaska I will say this I would of bought it when I first got to Alaska.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Akres,
    Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing a copy.
    I would not put the usual Fish and Game info that can easily be found on the internet in this Encylopedia though.
    My .02c
    BK
    Agreed...but what I hope to include is data mined from ADF&G publications that are now out of print. Much of that info is relevant today, but not shared anymore.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You will probably want to leave Alaska. I imagine lot of folks be upset you giving up "thier" honey holes lol little do those guys know 100,000 other people know about it. I will be up front would I buy something like this no but I think your market will be in the lower 48 and new folks to Alaska I will say this I would of bought it when I first got to Alaska.
    heh heh, Not likely to leave Alaska. I have experienced myself and I am sure many others have as well, that being; our interests are fluild and we are always looking for new opportunities. Road hunting, coastal hunting, river hunting, fly-out, ATV, Snowmobile or Walk In's all take on a new challenge and the need for specifics on each are in constant demand by ALL OF US that want to try something else.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member ninefoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    alaska, all over the state
    Posts
    986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I'm all for information that assists hunters in becoming more proficient or experienced. However I'm against any place-name or specific geographic reference information being released with the intent of making it easier for hunters to hunt without doing any pre-hunt homework of their own.

    But it's a free world and it can't get much worse than it already is here, I guess.

    Good luck.

    Taylor
    would have to agree one hundred percent with mark on this one....seems to be a trend to publish with exact locations lately...hell even gps cooridinates in some recent publications...kinda sucks if you ask me.

    on another note i can understand the attraction of producing such a publication...but even if it were marginally lucrative in the end...is all that information that took you so long to aquire (and took numerous others time/energy/sweat/blood to aquire i'm guessing) really just worth whatever revenew you could obtain from such a publication....do you care? just honest questions. i commend you for taking the time and incredible effort it must have taken for such a massive pile of info...surely theres a place for it without giving super specific details.

  13. #13
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    ...hope you get this multi volume piece of Alaskan outdoor literature accomplished on a faster time schedule than Mikey did with his float hunting book. If not, most of us who would be part of the limited purchasing market will be dead by the time it gets done and is available....

    ...did I just hear a few not so distant shrieks?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Just thinking a bit....I know....
    I'm sure you'll list walk-in opportunities as that walk-in hunts will be a a larger part of our hunting in the future.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    2 mi east of 'Halfmoon creek"
    Posts
    831

    Default

    LOL, was just thinking...........

    recently a 'new' encyclopedia was published...
    called the , "Encyclopedia of Life", not Alaska specific.

    Then I thought of your endeavor,,
    published as the,,,, "Encyclopedia of Death". (humor injected).

  16. #16

    Default

    I think your kidding!

  17. #17

    Default

    Akres, not as many Alaskans' hunting opportunties are as "fluid" as you think, nor do they want them to be. I know lots of guys that have hunted the same spots for generations. My family had "our" spot as well. So, a simple "trailhead location" to you, might completely ruin an area that can't handle the pressure, and destroy family traditions. But, if it makes you a few bucks, who cares... right?

  18. #18

    Default

    Are you sure you wouldn't rather just say the drawing results are posted???? That gets people riled up without as much typing......

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    194

    Default

    akres sounds like a lot of work, something like that would have been realy helpful 2 years ago when I drove every conecting highway on the interior road system, it took almost a month to due and there are tons of places out there that no one spends that much time, and that are productive areas. i think it will be a great tool for anyone wanting to check out new places or just go!! ill be waiting to see how it turns out and ill be buying it! I know people dont like exact gps locations released but its a helpful tool in finding places since there are so many names of places that are similar, it could lead to over use but with such a huge state, there is plenty of places to go, I dont see any trailhead turning into a hunting hole like the russian river fishing rush, that isnt already over run with people, go for it but be respectful of coarse.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    NorthWest Alaska
    Posts
    3,639

    Default

    That will be quite an undertaking.

    Good Luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

    "Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •