Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Hunting Encyclopedia

Thumbs up Alaska Hunting Encyclopedia

I have been compiling information, documentation and game dynamics for quite awhile. I am in the process of sorting through it and attempting to segregate the meaningful from the trivial. My intent is to publish several volumes. I have contacted a few publishers and have gotten back some very basic guidance on how to proceed. Mind you, this will be my first attempt at such a large undertaking. While I have done a fair share of technical writing, editing and prooofing, most of that has been done with a stubby pencil. Now with the aid of computers, internet and digital resources, I think I can manage to make this endeavor a reality. It has been suggested by one publisher, that it be in digital format, so it can be edited from time to time and maintained current. So that is quite likely how it will be, intially developed as a blog, with the final coming out as a Published Digital Reference or E Book. A lot of this is new to me, but very interesting.

My first volume will be geared toward the bulk of our hunting community and focused on the Road System. What I envision have thus far, is a volume formatted much akin to that of the Milepost and the Highway Angler. Each highway detailed mile by mile, with adjustments to seasonal eg Spring and Fall and species opportunities eg Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game and Predators. Trailheads, pullouts, viewpoints and game migration routes will be identified by milepost as well as GPS Co-ordinates, in the event the actual milepost is unable to be easily ascertained.
    My second volume will focus on the existing Trail Systems connected to the Road System. Trailheads, points of interest, vantage points and will specify Winter, Summer or Year-round Use.
    My third volume will focus on the more prominent fly-out destinations, complete with Air Taxi points of contact and strip/lake conditions and locations for the private pilots.
    My fourth volume will focus on Trophy Hunts, exclusively. Probably the most demanding of the series, which is why it will be the last.

Your thoughts?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I can hear the collective shriek of the NIMBY's from her!

Sounds like one big complicated project. esp, info mile to mile.

Good luck with this !

That's a heck of a project! I like the idea and think you would sell quite at few copies. Here is a link that I use when looking for trail heads throughout the state. You might already know about it, but just in case...http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ryandbrett View Post
    That's a heck of a project! I like the idea and think you would sell quite at few copies. Here is a link that I use when looking for trail heads throughout the state. You might already know about it, but just in case...http://www.alaskahikesearch.com/index.htm
    Thanks, added to my Favorites list. +1
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I'm all for information that assists hunters in becoming more proficient or experienced. However I'm against any place-name or specific geographic reference information being released with the intent of making it easier for hunters to hunt without doing any pre-hunt homework of their own.

But it's a free world and it can't get much worse than it already is here, I guess.

Good luck.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    However I'm against any place-name or specific geographic reference information being released with the intent of making it easier for hunters to hunt without doing any pre-hunt homework of their own.
    Taylor
    Hopefully a reference of this kind will provide much in the way of their lesson plan. I don't think "pre-hunt homework" should be limited to the backroom of a retail outlet or in a garage with loud music being played to mask the conversation.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Akres,
    Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing a copy.
    I would not put the usual Fish and Game info that can easily be found on the internet in this Encylopedia though.
    My .02c
    BK

You will probably want to leave Alaska. I imagine lot of folks be upset you giving up "thier" honey holes lol little do those guys know 100,000 other people know about it. I will be up front would I buy something like this no but I think your market will be in the lower 48 and new folks to Alaska I will say this I would of bought it when I first got to Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Akres,
    Sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing a copy.
    I would not put the usual Fish and Game info that can easily be found on the internet in this Encylopedia though.
    My .02c
    BK
    Agreed...but what I hope to include is data mined from ADF&G publications that are now out of print. Much of that info is relevant today, but not shared anymore.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You will probably want to leave Alaska. I imagine lot of folks be upset you giving up "thier" honey holes lol little do those guys know 100,000 other people know about it. I will be up front would I buy something like this no but I think your market will be in the lower 48 and new folks to Alaska I will say this I would of bought it when I first got to Alaska.
    heh heh, Not likely to leave Alaska. I have experienced myself and I am sure many others have as well, that being; our interests are fluild and we are always looking for new opportunities. Road hunting, coastal hunting, river hunting, fly-out, ATV, Snowmobile or Walk In's all take on a new challenge and the need for specifics on each are in constant demand by ALL OF US that want to try something else.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    I'm all for information that assists hunters in becoming more proficient or experienced. However I'm against any place-name or specific geographic reference information being released with the intent of making it easier for hunters to hunt without doing any pre-hunt homework of their own.

But it's a free world and it can't get much worse than it already is here, I guess.

Good luck.

Taylor
    would have to agree one hundred percent with mark on this one....seems to be a trend to publish with exact locations lately...hell even gps cooridinates in some recent publications...kinda sucks if you ask me.

on another note i can understand the attraction of producing such a publication...but even if it were marginally lucrative in the end...is all that information that took you so long to aquire (and took numerous others time/energy/sweat/blood to aquire i'm guessing) really just worth whatever revenew you could obtain from such a publication....do you care? just honest questions. i commend you for taking the time and incredible effort it must have taken for such a massive pile of info...surely theres a place for it without giving super specific details.

...hope you get this multi volume piece of Alaskan outdoor literature accomplished on a faster time schedule than Mikey did with his float hunting book. If not, most of us who would be part of the limited purchasing market will be dead by the time it gets done and is available....

...did I just hear a few not so distant shrieks?

Just thinking a bit....I know....
    I'm sure you'll list walk-in opportunities as that walk-in hunts will be a a larger part of our hunting in the future.

LOL, was just thinking...........

recently a 'new' encyclopedia was published...
    called the , "Encyclopedia of Life", not Alaska specific.

Then I thought of your endeavor,,
    published as the,,,, "Encyclopedia of Death". (humor injected).

I think your kidding!

Akres, not as many Alaskans' hunting opportunties are as "fluid" as you think, nor do they want them to be. I know lots of guys that have hunted the same spots for generations. My family had "our" spot as well. So, a simple "trailhead location" to you, might completely ruin an area that can't handle the pressure, and destroy family traditions. But, if it makes you a few bucks, who cares... right?

Are you sure you wouldn't rather just say the drawing results are posted???? That gets people riled up without as much typing......

akres sounds like a lot of work, something like that would have been realy helpful 2 years ago when I drove every conecting highway on the interior road system, it took almost a month to due and there are tons of places out there that no one spends that much time, and that are productive areas. i think it will be a great tool for anyone wanting to check out new places or just go!! ill be waiting to see how it turns out and ill be buying it! I know people dont like exact gps locations released but its a helpful tool in finding places since there are so many names of places that are similar, it could lead to over use but with such a huge state, there is plenty of places to go, I dont see any trailhead turning into a hunting hole like the russian river fishing rush, that isnt already over run with people, go for it but be respectful of coarse.

That will be quite an undertaking.

Good Luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast