Thread: Help needed!

Default Help needed!

My Tohatsu 50TLDI is not getting fuel to the combustion chambers. Because Marita Sea and Ski originally mounted the engine to the transom and they epoxied the thru-bolts I am unable to dismount the engine. Because I can't dismount the engine their service department refuses to take a look at it. Because they refuse to take a look at it I am out of commission until "the spring", whenever THAT is... The guy in the service department made it obvious that he didn't give a crap! Obviously they have enough work to be able to alienate customers who pay full-bill for their boat, motor, trailer and accessories for three years running!
    Tell me THAT doesn't piss off a boater!

Soooo:

Where would you guys go next? Dewey's, AKMDS, or another shop?

Thanks in advance.

IceKing02

J Kimberly Services 6601 Arctic Boulevard, Anchorage, AK 99518-1537 (907) 349-1894 () ‎

They are straight shooters.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Since when does any outboard repair outfit require the motor be removed from a boat before they will work on it? Sorry, there must be more to this story.
    Tennessee

I second J Kimberly. Never had a bad experience their. And when they were wrong on their initial diagnostics, they did not charge me for any work that did not pertain to the true problem. Boat was fixed and out within a couple days.

That's the reason I never buy my toys at Marita, overall service sucks! J-Kimberly.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    My Tohatsu 50TLDI is not getting fuel to the combustion chambers. Because Marita Sea and Ski originally mounted the engine to the transom and they epoxied the thru-bolts I am unable to dismount the engine. Because I can't dismount the engine their service department refuses to take a look at it. Because they refuse to take a look at it I am out of commission until "the spring", whenever THAT is... The guy in the service department made it obvious that he didn't give a crap! Obviously they have enough work to be able to alienate customers who pay full-bill for their boat, motor, trailer and accessories for three years running!
    Tell me THAT doesn't piss off a boater!

Soooo:

Where would you guys go next? Dewey's, AKMDS, or another shop?

Thanks in advance.

IceKing02
    The problems sounds like it may start with the install. Thru bolts should not be epoxied. They should have a a 3M sealant like 3M 5000 which does get hard after it has dried. Did you check all the obivous 1st, fuses and/or connections? Fuel Pump? Filters? Was it running and then quit or will not start after storage?

One reason shops that deal with multi season toys do not take boats and motors in during the off season is that they have limited room to have it inside, they have no tank to run the engine in and running on muffs for any length of time puts large amounts of water in the shop. Having it off lets them work on it in smaller space and trash can run it when necessary.

If interested in a second look from someone let me know. I am close, pm me and I can come by. Not an expert but familar with fuel injection systems.

ON EDIT: If you still want to remove I can also help and I have a O/B dolly to move it around easily.

Hey, thanks one and all.

I talked to a buddy who suggested calling Stormchasers in Seward since they are another authorized Tohatsu dealer with whom he was familiar. When I called the service department they were more than happy to help. When I mentioned that I was from Eagle River he apologized that he couldn't have the diagnostics completed the same day since they were already performing service on another boat, otherwise he'd prefer to do it "while-u-wait". I was bowled over that they would try to be accommodating like that for us out of town folks. The short story is that I made a road trip out of the experience with my son, had people treat me like a valuable customer, had a service tech who spoke competently about the most likely causes, and a shop that promises to call me before close of business on Tuesday to update me on the engine. We'll see how it plays out, of course, but this was a hell of a good start!

I look at a "lack of indoor work space" as an opportunity to grow a business, not as a limitation to customer service. Boats may take up extra space in general but this is a little 14ft 9inch Zodiac...more like a dingy for guys like the Spoiled One (no sour grapes! I'm quite pleased with my little boat). Stormchasers gave me emphatic "No!" when I asked if they wanted the motor dismounted. "Makes it much easier to work on the engine when it is attached to the boat, especially when remote steering is involved."

Yes, it might be some sort of 3M product used for mounting the thru-bolts instead of epoxy. It still doesn't make sense to dismount the engine. I'm interested in having the service department make MY life easier...isn't that part of being a "service" department? If I'm willing to travel 130miles to Seward (twice) just to have my engine fixed then Marita is missing the mark...

Deer hunting here I come!

IceKing02

If under warrenty you should call the tohatsu dealer and let them know what there up to down there. that place has some of the worst service in this town. Some will say they treat me good other will say differant.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    If under warrenty you should call the tohatsu dealer and let them know what there up to down there. that place has some of the worst service in this town. Some will say they treat me good other will say differant.
    They had (not sure if it was still available) a chance with a place when they took over AK Powersports off the frontage road. As far as expansion room, it gets expensive quickly and then need to figure out how to make it pay for itself. More room, means more work, means more employees, more energy costs, more taxes, more insurance. A jump of a couple thousand a month at least. Then you need to have the room on the property you are at or figure on moving someplace else. Hard to make a 4 season paycheck with a 1 or 2 season sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    They had (not sure if it was still available) a chance with a place when they took over AK Powersports off the frontage road. As far as expansion room, it gets expensive quickly and then need to figure out how to make it pay for itself. More room, means more work, means more employees, more energy costs, more taxes, more insurance. A jump of a couple thousand a month at least. Then you need to have the room on the property you are at or figure on moving someplace else. Hard to make a 4 season paycheck with a 1 or 2 season sport.
    Hard to make a buck when you run off all your customers. Unfortunately, they were the Wooldridge dealer when I bought my boat. I got screwed.....lied to......worst buying experience of my life. The worst part is that I don't look at the boat in a positive light.