Thread: Nelchina Caribou Arcticle in ADN

Default Nelchina Caribou Arcticle in ADN

Thought this was an interesting story:

http://www.adn.com/2010/11/01/153099...for-human.html
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

To highlight an excerpt from the article:

"In the upcoming community hunt, any group of 25 people, no matter who they are or where they live, can declare themselves a "community" and receive permits if a set of criteria is followed. All community members will get a permit, with no limits on the number of permits issued."

I know there have been discussions on the forum for Bison Co-ops, etc. Why not an AOD Nelchina Caribou Co-Op? This would be a great get together and a chance to see our fellow forum members in an outdoor setting, rather than in a cafe or bar. The AOD is a 'community' of sorts already and has the ability to communicate effectively. It is doable. As opposed to the Bison deal, whereas there would only be one shooter, the entire party would be able to get a Caribou.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    To highlight an excerpt from the article:

"In the upcoming community hunt, any group of 25 people, no matter who they are or where they live, can declare themselves a "community" and receive permits if a set of criteria is followed. All community members will get a permit, with no limits on the number of permits issued."

I know there have been discussions on the forum for Bison Co-ops, etc. Why not an AOD Nelchina Caribou Co-Op? This would be a great get together and a chance to see our fellow forum members in an outdoor setting, rather than in a cafe or bar. The AOD is a 'community' of sorts already and has the ability to communicate effectively. It is doable. As opposed to the Bison deal, whereas there would only be one shooter, the entire party would be able to get a Caribou.

because when the board made the decision to DO THIS... against the recommendation of the attorney General... they were SURE.. that hunters would see it for what it was and WOULD NOT create groups to participate and attempt to take the CH from the copper basin folks.

LOL that lasted 10min after the meeting the groups started forming. i have yet to hear HOW many are coming from the Delta area... but a quick reading of lake louse issues... says there are several comeing...

mat, su already has several. as does the KP. and one in the Fairbanks area.. that i am AWARE Of...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    [/B]because when the board made the decision to DO THIS... against the recommendation of the attorney General... they were SURE.. that hunters would see it for what it was and WOULD NOT create groups to participate and attempt to take the CH from the copper basin folks.

LOL that lasted 10min after the meeting the groups started forming. i have yet to hear HOW many are coming from the Delta area... but a quick reading of lake louse issues... says there are several comeing...

mat, su already has several. as does the KP. and one in the Fairbanks area.. that i am AWARE Of...
    What better statement could possibly be made, that will show support for the BOG Decision?
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

As to the new regulations, why let the CH'ers, take 300 Caribou off the top?

Why not let them obtain a Tier I, with the rest of the crowd, since EVERYONE will get one?

From my perspective, the BOG is never gonna get it right/fair, and there is little we can do about it.

I wonder if there's something in these new regs. that they aren't saying.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post

Smitty of the North
    They needed the "language and terms" in the reg, to etch it into precedence. There are dozens of Commnuities watching how this plays out and if Alaskan's are ready for rolling over and accepting it. If so, you will see this expanded greatly!
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

AOD community!! Right on Akres. Sounds good to me. Go for it.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    As to the new regulations, why let the CH'ers, take 300 Caribou off the top?

Why not let them obtain a Tier I, with the rest of the crowd, since EVERYONE will get one?

From my perspective, the BOG is never gonna get it right/fair, and there is little we can do about it.

Smitty of the North
    cause the Teir i is one every 4 years... unlike the artical stated.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    AOD community!! Right on Akres. Sounds good to me. Go for it.
    I'M IN!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

And for those that have not witnessed it for themselves, the ones standing along side the road catching the caribou crossing, for the MOST part, are well....Federal Permited Subsistence Hunters...Unlike the article stated.
    ADN has never required honesty, integrity or truth from it's contributors.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

cause the Teir i is one every 4 years... unlike the artical stated.
    I don't think that is correct. That was the original Tier I rules, but that was removed this time around when they made the change to anyone who wants one, gets one rule so they don't need to reduce the number of elegible people to make sure others get permits. I was going to double check this on the website, but can't pull it up right now. I will check the next time I can find it working.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I don't think that is correct. That was the original Tier I rules, but that was removed this time around when they made the change to anyone who wants one, gets one rule so they don't need to reduce the number of elegible people to make sure others get permits. I was going to double check this on the website, but can't pull it up right now. I will check the next time I can find it working.
    well i have the PDF regualtion waiting to be signed by the LT on my desk at work... i am positive it says one in 4... as was origanlly stated at the BOG also... what they removed was the qualifiying. for it.. if you apply you will get one per house hold... you will also only be eligiable every 4 years... i will double check... i have emailed it out to seveeral other members that asked... as it is too large to post here. perhaps one of them have access to it today and can read it aloud for all to hear..

meet on face book here

well i have the PDF regulation waiting to be signed by the LT on my desk at work... i am positive it says one in 4... as was originally stated at the BOG also... what they removed was the qualifying. for it.. if you apply you will get one per house hold... you will also only be eligible every 4 years... i will double check... i have emailed it out to several other members that asked... as it is too large to post here. perhaps one of them have access to it today and can read it aloud for all to hear..
    Okay well i think i will retract my statement... though it is not clear.. one section of the regulation is in [Bracket] meaning removed but another is not in full [ ] rather just the...] when regs are modified and the new ones are sent to the printer... BOLD Prints new language and print in [bracket] is
    to be removed... so reading it closer now... it appears skier is correct and that it is one per year. (this PDF is sucha jumble it is hard to make sense of... ) it is too large to post on here.. but if anyone would like the 5 page reguation... pm my your email and i will forward it to you.... sorry for the confusion...

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    They needed the "language and terms" in the reg, to etch it into precedence. There are dozens of Commnuities watching how this plays out and if Alaskan's are ready for rolling over and accepting it. If so, you will see this expanded greatly!
    I figgered.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.