Thread: Expectations of Ruger mini 14's?

Default Expectations of Ruger mini 14's?

I am considering purchasing a mini 14 but have a few questions. I have heard the older ones aren't as accurate as they can be without having to do a little work. I would like to be able to get at least minute of angle out to 300 yards is this possible with older ones, also how are the newer ones that have came out in the last few years compared to the older.
    I guess what I am really asking is if you have owned or a friend has so on and so forth what where the pluses and minuses

I've owned three on three seperate occasions, all prior to 2000. None were even remotely capable of the accuracy you desire. The last one patterned like a shotgun and I gave up on the Mini-14 design for anything other than making noise and empty brass. Fun gun and mine were all pretty reliable but none were really shooters. I understand the last model change was supposed to make them more accurate but I've not shot one.

If you're looking for MOA to 300 yds I'd suggest starting with a bolt gun- you'll frustrate yourself less.

Something in me loves the Mini-14, but I do not presently own one and probably won't own another as I've never had one/seen one that I would call accurate. I suspect that there are accurate Mini-14s out there, but IME they are not common. They've been very reliable, but mine have run in the 2-3 MOA range with good ammo. I'd look elsewhere.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Old ones were 2-3 moa but I here the new ones are better. You can buy an acuracy systems barrel and gas block for them but they are not an accurate gun but they are very reliable

I have older model and accuracy is poor as others have stated. If you want semi capability then AR platform is the way go. Tons of mods available but it is harder to carry.

If you want an accurate rifle, there is no point in buying a Mini-14. They are pretty reliable, but accuracy is not their strong suit. The operating slide flails against the bottom of the barrel every time it goes off, thereby destroying any accuracy they might have. The only thing that I've heard of that works is to shoot a very light bullet and get it out of the barrel as quickly as possible. Seek accuracy elsewhere.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Thanks for the heads up folks. I am now considering going with with I have known all along and that is to stay single shot or bolt. But man I like to have a semi auto varmint/predator rig at the price if a working man with family budget.

Most AR's will do MOA or pretty close. This is the best 100 yard 5 shot group I ever got out of my mini with a 2.5x optic. If you could find a way to be happy with 2 MOA, you could be happy with a mini.