Thread: Oregon Duck Hunter in Anchorage Looking To Hunt

Default Oregon Duck Hunter in Anchorage Looking To Hunt

I'm from Portland, but am working in Anchorage for the next several days and would love to hunt birds! I'm missing out on some very good hunting at home, so I thought I better bring some gear with me in the event that I'm able to do so here in the Anchorage area.

I'd very much appreciate the following, if anyone can help:

1. A local hunter that wouldn't mind having an extra guy shoot with him for a bit (I'd definately return the favor if such a person finds himself in the Portland area during duck or goose season)
    OR...
    2. Tips on public hunt spots (don't worry about giving away your hot spot, as I won't be around long enough to make any difference, as I'll be heading back to Oregon in a few days!)

Thanks,
    Steve

You must have missed the replies to your other post on the general hunting forum. The water in the normal marshes is solid now. There are park ducks around in some non-park duck spots, but no one ever shares those spots. They will post a note in another forum "took a limit today in 10 minutes and then chased a brown bear for 2 miles. Gave up when it got dark and went back to where I left the ATV." The poster lives in The Valley, so he could be hunting dozens of pieces of flowing water that are not hard, but require local knowledge about which of hundreds of trails go someplace that is not frozen solid.

Right now the majority of duck hunting in AK is taking place in Cordova, Cold Bay, and Juneau.

In Cook Inlet the closest public spot that does not require a boat for breaking ice is the north side of the Palmer Hay Flats using the Cotton Wood Creek access point. You can google that and find maps on the friends of palmer hay flats website or refuge info at fish and game.

PM duckhunter01 or akduckman and maybe they will take you out to break some ice.

Thanks for the info AK Ray!

Given the number of birds pouring into Washington and Oregon, I guess I'm not surprised that it's a bit late up here. I may try the two gents listed above, or work on putting together a sea duck hunt when I'm in Kodiak next week. Thanks again.

Sorry I can't help, going out of town for two weeks.

Thanks anyway, AK Duckman.

By the way, that's a nice looking sandhill crane picture on your profile. We're jealous of you guys being able to shoot them here, as we can't do so in Oregon. Of course with no hunting pressure, they fly low and slow in a taunting fashion, right over the top of our blinds. When my boys were little, they wondered why I wouldn't shoot those "big geese"!

I was just in the right place at the right time. Got it about three years ago opening day, first bird of the season. Funny thing, the year before that, I shot another one same spot, same time and first bird of the season. Who says lightning doesn't strike the same place twice.

ORBirdHunter, you ever seen the flocks of sandhills around summer lake? Man they need to open a season on them down there. Just one or two per season would even be nice.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!