Thread: Cheap liquid brass washer?

Default Cheap liquid brass washer?

In keeping some new posts coming in to this forum...

I picked up a bunch of range brass and it's full of sand and dirt etc. I'm thinking of using the bags oranges come in and use that to wash the brass in a 5 gal bucket. Does anyone have a recipe for a mild cleaner that Is easy to work with? I seem to remember one with vinegar in it.

Thanks!

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post

I picked up a bunch of range brass and it's full of sand and dirt etc. I'm thinking of using the bags oranges come in and use that to wash the brass in a 5 gal bucket. Does anyone have a recipe for a mild cleaner that Is easy to work with? I seem to remember one with vinegar in it.

Thanks!

Mountaintrekker
    If you want clean cases it's tough to beat Cascade or any other dishwasher detergent. They will not be polished, but they will be clean.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post

Thanks!

Mountaintrekker
    1 pint of water,
    1 cup of white vinegar,
    1 tablespoon of salt,
    1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent.

You put all this stuff in a plastic container, add the brass, and shake it gently for 5 minutes. (Don't soak them overnight.)

Then take the brass out and rinse it in plain water, take'm out and let'em dry.

The above, is how I got it on a Forum. I use it every once in a while. I save it and use it several times before mixing all new stuff.

It doesn't make the brass REAL shiney, but it cleans them good.

You can double the mix if you want.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Dawn dishwashing soap, vinegar and some lemon juice. Soak it for an hour or so. Swirl, etc. Rinse and then soak in water with some baking soda to neutralize any acid. Then give it a final rinse in water. It should come out pretty clean and shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    If you want clean cases it's tough to beat Cascade or any other dishwasher detergent. They will not be polished, but they will be clean.
    In the dishwasher? I have thought about brass in a mesh bag like the orange bag or a laundry bag, in the dishwasher but haven't tried it.

If you don't feel like blowing up the neighborhood experimenting w/ chemistry set in the garage, you could always try Brasso its in any supermarket

You can also look into citric acid. If you have the time read the entire thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83572

Quote Originally Posted by ytlogger View Post
    In the dishwasher? I have thought about brass in a mesh bag like the orange bag or a laundry bag, in the dishwasher but haven't tried it.
    I haven't tried it in the dishwasher. I use it in a vibratory case cleaner. Just 15-20 minutes in warm sudsy water does the trick for me. Cleans them Spic and Span...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Sportsmans has some stuff, I thinks its made by Birchwood Casey. Before I started using a VBCC, I used hot water and Palmolive, then a rinse, then a bath in that Birchwood casey stuff, which for the life of my useless brain I cant recall the name off. Cleaned cases real nice.

I haven't tried it in the dishwasher
    I did once. it worked OK, but SWMBO went berserk on me for doing it

I haven't tried it in the dishwasher I did once. it worked OK, but SWMBO went berserk on me for doing it
    Probably something about introducing mercury / heavy metal poisoning to all the dishes...How narrow minded.

A soaking in cheap dark cola for a few hours does a pretty good job. Just rinse with hot water and let dry on top of the wood stove.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I did once. it worked OK, but SWMBO went berserk on me for doing it
    oh heck... thats nothing i used to stick snowmobile cylinders, Y-pipes, carbs and pistons in the DW. while she was gone... nothing like a good hot wash and heated dry cycle to remove the gunk before honing and porting etc... was a little late getting them out once... LOL never forgot after that time...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default OOPs, I should mention

Regarding the post I just made.....

"1 pint of water,
    1 cup of white vinegar,
    1 tablespoon of salt,
    1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent.

You put all this stuff in a plastic container, add the brass, and shake it gently for 5 minutes. (Don't soak them overnight.)

Then take the brass out and rinse it in plain water, take'm out and let'em dry.

The above, is how I got it on a Forum. I use it every once in a while. I save it and use it several times before mixing all new stuff.

It doesn't make the brass REAL shiney, but it cleans them good.

You can double the mix if you want."
    I need to ADD something.

You see the warning,,,, (Don't soak them overnight.)

This is because the vinegar, will soften the brass. I dunno how long it takes to soften/ruin the brass, but the instructions I got and have used say to shake the brass for FIVE MINUTES.

I dont' know nuthin much about chemistry. I'm just passin along the method as I got it, and have used it.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Probably something about introducing mercury / heavy metal poisoning to all the dishes...How narrow minded.
    A soaking in cheap dark cola for a few hours does a pretty good job. Just rinse with hot water and let dry on top of the wood stove.
    Well it couldn't be worse than a heavy metal Cuba Libre.

Originally Posted by Float Pilot
    "Probably something about introducing mercury / heavy metal poisoning to all the dishes...How narrow minded.
    A soaking in cheap dark cola for a few hours does a pretty good job. Just rinse with hot water and let dry on top of the wood stove."

Well it couldn't be worse than a heavy metal Cuba Libre.

When I was a kid I used my moms metal spaghetti strainer and her big stock pot to boil my brass. I did it when nobody was home to avoid a butt-kickin...... (They caught me cleaning a 1858 cap and ball revolver in the coffee pot once and really went nuts)

Now my folks are in their late 80s and have signs of Alzheimer. Makes me wonder...heavy metal or just three boys

So now that I am a grandpa....My wife makes sure all of my strainers and brass cleaning gear stays away from the regular kitchen utensils. I use plastic coffee cans for the cola soaking... and the cheap cola in 2 litre bottles.

I need a sonic cleaner...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com