Thread: Seal Fishing

Default Seal Fishing

Been yanking an ice net lately ,pulling Whitefish up with a low of 130 to high of 179 yesterday..........anyway, last night the daughter was down with her friends jigging/spearing for Tiktallik (Burbot that are attracted to the light and the shiney whitefish that are in the net below) when a Seal emerged from an unused hole. They chased it away from the hole and She beat it in the head.
    She did get these pictures

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

i would be so proud of my kid if she did that...what will she make with her hide??
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Ffffffffoooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrr!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Great job stranger. Great to see the youth involved. I will take my boys out for their first sea otter hunt this winter. I do miss that seal grease from my southeast days.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

She gave it away, a common thing with a persons first catch of any kina animal up this way.
    Teaches them to share and provide to others, to not become attached to fleeting things like food, but to enjoy the moment and go do it again.
    As well, something good will come back to her someway, someday.

Sometimes seal lose their holes and we call them "Waling Seals" and are good to track down and throw inna sled. Folks round here keep an open eye out this time of year for the young Oogruk that have been in the river chasing schools of fish, and are now trying to get outta the delta as the ice thickens. They move from opening to opening, and come up to rest, unfortunatly this guy used a Net hole to come up and nap at the wrong place, 'cause my kids know how to deal with 'em .

Oh ya, 196 Whitefish in one pull today ......lotta incentive for Seals to hang around under there........

They are filming that whale movie in Anch and up at Barrow. You were supposed to cut holes in the ice for it and lead it to open water.
    Coulda made millions off the film crews that would have come!!!
    Hahaha!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Seal clubbin' in your shorts!!!

It just don't get any better than that.

Thanks for shareing stranger cool pics, and Congrats to your dauthers first kill, proud dad this year!

that's awsome stranger....lol, yep i guess those kids of yours do know what to do with them...thats pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    She gave it away, a common thing with a persons first catch of any kina animal up this way.
    Teaches them to share and provide to others, to not become attached to fleeting things like food, but to enjoy the moment and go do it again...
    Wow. There have been whole books written on comments like that. I am impressed by the values you are teaching your children, and by hearing that they care about such things.

This world would be a much, much better place to live if we were not so attached to "fleeting things".

Congratulations, my friend. May you have a fantastic season this winter, and I wish all the best for you and your family.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

chip, you and your daughter are giving seal clubbers a bad name, why cant you just club the cute babies like on tv....they make nicer gloves..... (congrads to your daughter im sure you couldn't be prouder!)

Seal meat stew....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Seal liver, even better!!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Im no Seal Clubber ~~LOL!!~~ Thats what I have kids for

Theres been 4 Seals taken around here in the last week, that I know of, but I m thinking this one is the latest. This time of year, its not unusauall at all to find them this way.

Baby Seals are tender, no matter how ya cook 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Im no Seal Clubber ~~LOL!!~~ Thats what I have kids for
    Are you allowed to participate in the catching/skinning/cleaning/processing part of the marine mammals or is that restricted to your family?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

strangerinastrangeland-- Thank you or sharing this priceless story and pictures! We need your daughter down on the Copper River delta w/ her club for sure. Nice pull on the whitefish too. What mesh size do you use? How is the whitefish prepared, do you dry it, can it or what?

Well AKres, Im not really 'spossed to get involved, till its time to eat
    Im the odd one out, as the kids are Native, as is the bro inlaw and others I hunt with, so theres always someone whos ready and looking to shoot/harpoon, so I take a back seat to it all, 'cause when the animal hits the door, well then it becomes the wifes, till its cook'd on the plate, like most all animals I/we bring home, Caribou, Bears, Fish , fur , ect becomes the wifes.
    Its kinda the same for Berry picking, an activity I just dont do, while others excell, 'cause I find other just as important things to do......... but belive me, there is always work to do, even when everones butchering an animal, be it Walrus, Beluga, Oogruk, someones gotta cook for the crew or tend the boat, chop wood, haule the load. Thats how young guys help out, and observe/learn, but Im stuck in that mode as I'll never grow up to be a Native ~~LOL!!~~_The last "great insult" that was a good laugh for everyone was when my bro-inlaw Norman ased me if I was "ever gonna grow up?", referring to me helping the kids chop wood when I should have been eating with the guys after Fall Caribou hunts butchering session. (kids learn nothing/gain if you do it all for them)
    When the guys are off Seal hunting I tend the boat (NEVER, EVER leave the boat unattended out in the ice pack)and shoot Eiders, BlackDucks, Geese and such (the ocean is FULL of birds) and fish for the trout that the Seals feed on around the flat clean ice that the family is sneaking across for shooting.
    Thats the place Ive found that keeps me, the crew and the law happy, so Im doomed to always be the Helper, not The Hunter. I know alotta guys look down on me for it, but most all understand that Jail aint worth my time, and they just laugh at me but are happy the coffes hot and the boat is waiting, and my family gets a fair share of meat in the end anyway.

As to the nets.....you should check out the post I made for my blog, 'an arctic view'.
    She strung up a 4-1/"' mesh, as we target egg laden Whitefish, and the skinny pass through. In spring , when they are all skinny, we use a 2 "mesh in sloughs they move to to eat, right now they are schooled up to spawn.
    My wifes family has a system of lakes that have BIG Whitfish (miiligevikmiutuk's) in her family's inhereited local system of "Fishing rights",( the "old", pre law system, still in effect here) to a place where, although open to anyone at all, other familys quite volentarily give them the respect to exclusive use in certain places for nets and formaly fish traps and weirs, where the lakes meet the river. At freeze up, thousands and thousands of Whitefish take 4 or 5 days to move out into the main river, and its quite a sight to see, just one constant cloud of passing fish. We can set a net there and fill it in minutes, over and over, all day long. This happens in a great many places on the delta, as there are thousands of lakes between the channles here, Whitefish Heaven. Most all familys have a "Spot"
    Selawik Drainage is even Better.

Theres not nearly as much fishing going on as when Dog were the power and Fish were the fuel, but they are so good, eaten frozen with Seal Oil, fish oil, baked, roasted, Deepfryed 'Coney Island style' with Corn meal, papperika and seasalt, and "Stink" when the fish are fermented and aquire a powerfull tatste, but served frozen are the tatste is hardly noticed, but teh warming effect is very noticable, with a consistancy like icecream.
    About 1/2 4 lb Fish is a meal, and we pluck out the stomaches to save for a boilup, with a whole pot being made at once.

210 Roundnosed "Kasiiluks" today, 4 Tiktallik and 40lb Sheefish . We were sent a jar of oil sent over today, clear and about tasteless, still mostly chunks of unrenderd blubber, but awsome none the less with frozen fish.

I have always wondered about the "stink" I have been lucky enough to try almost everything else do to native friends, but that one has always left me wondering, I'm not sure if I could eat it. But I have always said I wold try anything once so who knows maybe someday. Is it one of those things you have to work up to in order not to get sick? Anyway love the post and the descriptions of all the traditions and foods. You indeed are living a unique life compared to most. But you sound very content even for a "stranger" :-)
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else