Thread: Over paying for hiking pants???

Default Over paying for hiking pants???

All through high school and college I obviously didn't have much money so I was more frugal than I am now when it comes to hunting/hiking gear. That said there is one piece of clothing that I have that I simply can not beat for the price and what you get.

I have hunted every year since 2000 in a pair of $25 Columbia Aruba III fishing pants. They are light weight, come in decent neutral colors to choose from and dry out faster than any pair of pants I have ever worn. Come with 2 cargo pockets, zippered rear pocket and of course the standard pockets as well. The zip offs are nice at times as well. It also comes with a draw string, but has belt loops in case you want to wear a belt as well. If it is colder out through a base layer on underneath and you are good to go.

Since then I have run the gamut on trying various sorts of different pants trying to improve upon what I bought in high school. 2 different types of Sitka Gear pants, the Ascent and the Mountain pants, Mammut Champs, Sporthills, and a couple more that have escaped me. None fell apart or anything, its just that most were too hot and all didn't dry out as fast after creek crossings while hiking as the my old Columbia hiking pants/fishing pants.

I usually get 2-3 years of solid use, backpacking all summer and I get out a fair bit for hunting every fall, far more than just a few afternoon trips behind the house and one big week to 10 day long hunt. For $25 a pair they are pretty hard to beat for the price. So while I am known on here for splurging on some pricey gear this is one item that I have tried and paid some serious $$$ on to try to improve upon, but just haven't found where these pants fail.

Here is a link to them:
    http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cf...googleproducts

Good idea, Luke. As for me, I've been using my Old Navy/Gap wind pants (exercise pants, whatever you want to call them) for more than 10 years. I can usually find them for $7 a pair on clearance. They don't come in earth tones - black, usually - but they're light, dry immediately, keep warmth in when I need them to, and very inexpensive. I've looked long and hard at pants by Sitka and other manufacturers, but of all the gear I've owned, my cheapo pants are the one thing I've never found inadequate.

Columbia pants usually run short for me, but perhaps these will be different. For 40 bucks I may have to try a pair.

Brian, I am struggling to refrain from dropping some inadequacy jokes here..... man you just left the door WIDE open....

Guys who hunt (or hike) more seem to need less. But looking over NOLS gear lists is interesting too - maybe because of their experience - even in Alaska - nylon shorts with wind pants, rain pants and base layer they say is all ya need: http://www.nols.edu/courses/location...older_el.shtml

Learning about gear/materials can be interesting - and knowing what you're looking at is useful when buying gear on-sale. Just good to keep some perspective: Layering up when it's cool is simple. For those unseasonably warm days, convertibles or a wind pant like NOLS, and Brian, recommend is a relief.

If there's a best application for DWR or technical (breathable, but water resistant) fabrics, for me it's medium level exertion in cool, damp weather where it's hard to get dry, yet cool enough to get cold when I stop moving. Some technical fabrics might be tougher too than lightweight nylon pants. Even shopping discounts though, it's easy to spend a lot on gear that doesn't quite work out.

Default PS...

the best Dall ram I saw in 2010 photos featured a friend, his ram, and convertible pants over base layer.... "Pants $30...smile priceless".

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Columbia pants usually run short for me, but perhaps these will be different. For 40 bucks I may have to try a pair.

Brian, I am struggling to refrain from dropping some inadequacy jokes here..... man you just left the door WIDE open....
    Dude they run really short. To get close to my inseam I would need a 3x! Hell no!! Shorter guys have it made for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Dude they run really short. To get close to my inseam I would need a 3x! Hell no!! Shorter guys have it made for sure.
    Bout friggin time!