Thread: Rust in the barrels of 2 new stainless firearms?

Default Rust in the barrels of 2 new stainless firearms?

I have a couple of new stainless firearms, a rifle and a revolver, and a couple of old blued rifles in an upstairs room adjacent to our bathroom. I noticed yesterday some light rusting on the revolver in the barrel and checked the others. Only the other stainless one had the same problem? Both had been very recently cleaned very well with nothing but Hoppe's #9, and then lightly oiled with Rem oil. They haven't been wet aside from condensation perhaps, but nothing lasting. The blued rifles have been there for over a year and lived in a tent for an entire summer without incident. I can't understand it. I cleaned them both again and the rust is still there. Neither one has even been shot yet! It is so difficult to get any decent rust preventing products here...

The rust is only in the barrel, nowhere else. It's sure not copper, it's not lead either, it's rust.

Had to vent my frustration...
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    I have a couple of new stainless firearms, a rifle and a revolver, and a couple of old blued rifles in an upstairs room adjacent to our bathroom. I noticed yesterday some light rusting on the revolver in the barrel and checked the others. Only the other stainless one had the same problem? Both had been very recently cleaned very well with nothing but Hoppe's #9, and then lightly oiled with Rem oil. They haven't been wet aside from condensation perhaps, but nothing lasting. The blued rifles have been there for over a year and lived in a tent for an entire summer without incident. I can't understand it. I cleaned them both again and the rust is still there. Neither one has even been shot yet! It is so difficult to get any decent rust preventing products here...

The rust is only in the barrel, nowhere else. It's sure not copper, it's not lead either, it's rust.

Had to vent my frustration...
    I think Remoil is garbage, but that's really beside the point and you're going to get an ungodly volume of opinion on that subject which is bound to take this way off course.

It is understood that stainless steel is not impervious to rust. Appears that you know this; was stated for the benefit of others.

That aside, it is strange that blued and stainless stored side by side (is that really the case, you weren't exactly specific on that point?) under the same temperatures and humidity conditions is resulting in rust on the stainless and not on the blued.

You say they havn't been wet *except perhaps for condensation*... Condensation is your enemy, no matter the duration. Still, no rust on the blued guns under identical storage conditions?

The one variable you clearly state is that the two stainless in question were recently cleaned. Any use of a steel brush of any other steel object that would have imparted higher carbon steel to the stainless?

I'm stumped, but stuck on the subject of recent cleaning, because it seems to be the only variable here. We must be missing something critical to the equation (besides that I think Remoil is junk. Presumably, you're using Remoil in the non-rusting bores too?).

Curious indeed.

Low grade stainless, (less chrome in the mix) will diffidently rust. I saw an interesting show on the subject a few months ago.

I'm wondering what brand of rifle you're having issues with, perhaps an import barrel?

I also dislike Rem oil. The last time I oiled a revolver and put it away for a few months it gummed up the cylinder.

What's yer make & model of the stainless?

You know, it's copper. It stopped staining patches, but it stays a bright red-orange even when wet. I'm going to have to claim a senior moment. I don't know why my brain decided it was rust, but it's only on the lands and stays bright even when wetted, rust doesn't do that. Still I hate Rem oil too as there are better products for both lubrication and rust prevention for the same $.

Much ado...

An accidental example of a well used, (broke in) barrel versus a new rough one. Either break in, fire lapping or what ever some one calls it shooting and cleaning after the each of the first dozen or more shots does aid in preventing copper build up. In this example the new rough barrel collected enough copper to be seen with his naked eye.

Last deer season a guy I met in Texas showed my his new Stainless Remington700 SPS 7mmRUM that he won in a drawing. He had a bore scope and gave me a chance to look in the bore. I was amazed at how rough and pitted this brand new still in the box rifle was. When I commented he gave me a chance to look up the barrel on my Ruger. I was worried at first but pleasantly surprised when I saw that it was smooth and shiny.

I would look into a good copper remover in your local area. Hopps does a fine job on powder and carbon but it's to gentle on the copper. I've had good luck with M-Pro 7 and Bore Tech Eliminator for removing copper after a few pass's with a general solvent. Be sure to run a few dry patches between brands so there isn't any glazing.

I was fortunate enough to have a custom rifle built this year. It's my first with a high quality hand lapped barrel. I did the shoot and clean thing for a while and was amazed at the lack of fouling that this bore offered.

You need to get the salt off before you reapply oil. Use very hot water to remove any salt, then you can oil. Salt becomes trapped
    between oil and metal.

I want to order in Bore Tech Eliminator and TM Solution, but local supply is abysmally poor. I think the copper was just brightened up by the hoppes (and it did remove a fair amount) and rendered far more visible on the new stainless barrels.

I've settled on M-Pro7 for copper removal and Ballistol for storage lube and protection. Best preservative I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Low grade stainless, (less chrome in the mix) will diffidently rust. I saw an interesting show on the subject a few months ago.

I'm wondering what brand of rifle you're having issues with, perhaps an import barrel?

I also dislike Rem oil. The last time I oiled a revolver and put it away for a few months it gummed up the cylinder.
    I'll go with this one....low grade stainless......High grade on the outside and low grade on the inside...like they think you won't look down the barrel. Where'd ya get the gun? From China? or maybe a US gun now made in china. Just making a point. You get what ya paid for is what I'm saying. Good stainless won't rust unless it's not pure stainless.
    Go to the hardware store with a magnet in your pocket. Go to the stainless bolt bin. If your magnet picks up the so called stainless bolt, don't buy it cuzz it's a fake. Or plated over steal with stainless. It should be against the law for anyone to advertize something that ain't pure stainless. JMO
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Ahem... The OP stated in his follow up post (#5) that it was just copper. We can dispense with the rust mystery already.

Grizzly- Both statements you have made are untrue. There are many grades of stainless and often they are chosen based on the end use of the product. All stainless will corrode eventually, and not all stainless is non-magnetic. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the stainless, it has to do with the grade and alloy of the stainless used.

You cannot make a barrel out of two grades of stainless unless of course you drilled it out and lined it with another alloy. There is no such thing as "pure stainless"

400 series stainless, which is used in rifle barrels, happens to be magnetic.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Grizzly- Both statements you have made are untrue. There are many grades of stainless and often they are chosen based on the end use of the product. All stainless will corrode eventually, and not all stainless is non-magnetic. It has nothing to do with the "quality" of the stainless, it has to do with the grade and alloy of the stainless used.

You cannot make a barrel out of two grades of stainless unless of course you drilled it out and lined it with another alloy. There is no such thing as "pure stainless"

400 series stainless, which is used in rifle barrels, happens to be magnetic.
    What he said.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.