Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C Dory owners......?

Default C Dory owners......?

I have been saving for, and looking at buying something more suitable than my riverboat for the few ocean trips I try to take each year.

Generally we go to Homer, and stay for a week either in Seldovia or Tutka bay, I would like to spend some time in PWS and maybe SE occasionally for deer and big trees.

Living in the Interior means I have to shop and look on the internet, fortunately it is at my fingertips, however there is nothing like a hands on look at boats and talking to owners at the dock to find the answers to make the right choice.

I have always admired the C-Dorys but just wondering what the folks that use them have to say......because of my proximity to the ocean, most of my trips will be week long, so I dont need or desire high speed to be back to the harbor the same day or the next night. I dont want a trawler hull either.

What I am wondering about is making a trip across Cook Inlet or out to Montague-Hinchinbrook with a C-Dory, I know they are capable enough. I just wonder if there are times (3 foot chop), when you decide not to go out because of the conditions and presumably slower travel times.............?

Looking forward to any and all advice.........! thanks, John
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I haven't owned a C-dory, but I've been on one plenty of times. A 22-footer. From Whittier to Montague plenty of times. Like any boat, you have to pick your days. Been in rough water and the boat was fine. Because of little to no deadrise, it gets very good fuel economy but also pounds hard in rough water. Just slow down and it goes fine. Trim tabs make a huge difference. Light and easy to tow. Built well. I've found them to hold their value well, which means you can expect to pay a fair amount for one even if it has quite a few years on it. You may want to check out the C Brats site. Most C-Dory owners are rabid about their boats, and I'd say for good reason.

I got a buddy that sells them here in Juneau. He's really pounded those things around the local waters. Personally they aren't my style, I'm a fan of welded aluminum, no worries on my frequent trips to the beach. I just never feel right beaching a fiberglass boat.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

lookling at boats awhile back, i sure liked the c-dory!....if my boating was a bit different, chances are, i would have got a c-dory!....larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

I don't know that I would go the C-Dory route...

http://murphyauction.com/Auction/Details/157

lujon,
    I opened the link, auction site.....
    Closed auction for Seasport is what came up...........

My budget and frequency of use dicates I buy used, heck many of the the boats I can afford have shut their doors years ago, TideRunners, Glasply to name a few........
    Still good boats................a bad economy is really rough on recreational products.......

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't know that I would go the C-Dory route...

http://murphyauction.com/Auction/Details/157
    TR

Seasport = C-Dory.....

I like buying stuff with manufacturers that are still in business if I can swing it.

I own a 25 ft C-dory cruiser. Had it almost 5 years now. To me it's a compromise boat, big enough to be plenty safe, small enough to trailer easily, easy to handle solo and yet can easily acomodate 3 grown ups on entended trips.
    The brat site can be useful but take most of it with a grain of salt, many of those folks aren't sure whether they need to wind their butt or scratch their watch! Seriously, follow it a while and you'll see what I'm talking about.
    If you'd like to open some personal dialog, just P.M me. I'm not interested in bantering with everyone about every jot or tittle regarding the C-dory brand. I've got plenty of upgrade photos too, of the many projects I've undertaken on our boat. They kinda give a fellow an idea of what's possible with these boats.
    Mike, or to some "The Master of Metal"!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Seasport = C-Dory.....

I like buying stuff with manufacturers that are still in business if I can swing it.
    It would be nice to buy new, beyond my means if I want to get in the water anytime soon..............!
    The other thing is, Seasports are considered good boats, doesnt make them any less of a boat now?
    If you were buying a year ago would you have thought SS was headed for chapter 11?

Think of all the used ones out there doing what they were meant to do, now if you bought a new recently, and were concerned about warranty............well.......you might be tad a upset.......

With that being said, any boat company could go out of business unexpectedly.....................?
    TR

I agree for the most part. I wanted a river boat and picked up a used Wooldridge after a lot of reading. I did have some questions on the boat shortly after buying it and gave the company a call. They were GREAT to work with even though they have never seen a dime of my money. That type of support sure is great to have behind a product especially when it is such a significant investment!

C-Dory's are now produced by Triton Marine, and new ones are being built. Triton picked them up from the Seasport bankruptcy. They're active on the C-Brats web site. How's this for support - they ran a class at the factory on fiberglass repair:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=14683
    Richard Cook
    New Moon (Bounty 257)
    "Cruising in a Big Way"

Avoiding a specific brand boat just cause they went out of business doesnt make sense. Most any part you may need in the future will either involve the engine or outdrive and since they are still being made would be easy to find. Pretty much any other parts will have to be fabricated locally such as replacement glass, cushions, cables, etc. Very few companies (if any) producing fiberglass ocean boats keep an inventory of parts for every model they ever produced.

On to the topic. I been on C Dory's and they are nice boats but IMO there main function seems to be low speeds in calmer water. Great for camping in flat seas. Add some chop to the water and their ride goes to hell pretty quick. They are generally cheaper on fuel due to the slower speeds and hull shape. Might be the perfect boat for you.

Gramps, you keep waiting on your ocean boat you are gonna be to old to enjoy it when you finally get it
    Tennessee

You're right Snowwolfe. I don't know of to many quality boat manufacturers that haven't at least restructured their business if not gone completely under and changed their name. Its a tough business w/ not much profit. The best boats ever to be manufactured I would say at least 80% of them have had business difficulties. Its down right flat impossible to run a decent boat building business and participate in the actual building of the boat. Usually owners of the boat shop was probably the brains and the talent that started the business and built the 1st boats, its very common to start getting more orders than you can fill so you have to hire flunkies that either rip you off, do drugs, get hurt and sue you, are lazy, do shoddy work, and all thats if they bother to show up after pay day. Then you have to worry about agencies like OSHA, workers comp cops, the IRS the city, the borough yaddy yaddy. Nope not a business I would want a thing to do w/, I can build a mean boat too, I did my last 2.

New 22' C-Dories are about 50k... but I have seen a lot of used classic 22's and nice ones from 15-20K. I'd get a really nice older one that has been well taken care of and save some coins.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Gramps, you keep waiting on your ocean boat you are gonna be to old to enjoy it when you finally get it
    LOL...............Man....I hope yer wrong on that one.........

I have to confess on the gramps thing thou, that handle was hung on me 30 years ago (long story), when I signed up on AOD it was a logical "alias".

On Monday, I make my 56th trip around the sun......so not exactly a gramps yet.............! But I am closin in on it............!

The boat purchase is a tough descion, I have hard time putting enough time on my river boat........!!!....and living 350 miles away from the ocean........well in some respects it doesnt make a lotta sense.............problem is I REALLY LIKE IT..!
    My wife likes it also, and have learned thats a good thing.......

So for right now I keep looking, I get excited about one boat or another, do some research..........and then keep looking...................
    TR

Never been on a C-D.

The smaller ones sure seem to have a narrow beam.

To they roll as much as I'd expect in a sideways sea?

I own a 22 ft c-dory, 07 with 90hp Honda. We go out of Whittier exclusively from early April through mid September. Have made the trip to Montague-Hinchinbrook area and traveled to Southern end of Montague. We are out most every weekend and pick our destination based on the weather conditions and sea state. Sure it’s a little slow going in 3 foot chop but that doesn’t stop use, we put about 200 hours on the motor each year. Thing is, we are comfortable and warm and that’s what really makes a difference. It allows us to enjoy what would otherwise be and inhospitable environment. Best thing is, when I top off the tanks on the way home it doesn’t break the bank. Other boats are faster and have more room for fishing, but the C-dory gets you were you want to go and lets you do it all in relative comfort.
    If you want to go day fishing 70 miles out it’s not the boat for you. We spend a minimum of 2 nights, often 3 or 4 on our trips and have the capability to explore every inch of PWS.
    From what I have seen Triton Marine in manufacturing the best C-dorys every produced. You can find a really nice outfitted 22 for around 40K, capable outfitted 22 for 30k. You don’t see them come up for sale all that much so be ready and able to make a deal when one is available, it will not last long.
    If you can swing it the the 25 ft C-droy has a full head and way more room then the 22, or go for the 26 ft C-dory Venture if you can find one. For use, the 22 makes it happen for now and I have the pink slip.
    If you want the whole story go here: http://www.c-brats.com
    IMG_2614.jpg
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Breausaw, thank you for the info, I think a C-Dory would work well for us, my trips would usally be for a minimum of 5 days, its too far to go for a weekend.

What got me going recently on C-Dorys was a ad for a 27 footer in Portland, 1985 model year, talked to the seller yesterday, was going to post a link to the CL ad, but no longer valid...............?
    Apperently the 27's were only made for a few years.....?
    TR

One thing to remember with C-Dory under new ownership. The warrantees did not transfer, people that purchased them right before Triton Marine took ownership were left without a warranty. A lot of people seem to love these boats, but they do seem a bit narrow, and roll around a bit more than other boats of similar size.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    I own a 22 ft c-dory, 07 with 90hp Honda. We go out of Whittier exclusively from early April through mid September. Have made the trip to Montague-Hinchinbrook area and traveled to Southern end of Montague. We are out most every weekend and pick our destination based on the weather conditions and sea state. Sure it’s a little slow going in 3 foot chop but that doesn’t stop use, we put about 200 hours on the motor each year. Thing is, we are comfortable and warm and that’s what really makes a difference. It allows us to enjoy what would otherwise be and inhospitable environment. Best thing is, when I top off the tanks on the way home it doesn’t break the bank. Other boats are faster and have more room for fishing, but the C-dory gets you were you want to go and lets you do it all in relative comfort.
    If you want to go day fishing 70 miles out it’s not the boat for you. We spend a minimum of 2 nights, often 3 or 4 on our trips and have the capability to explore every inch of PWS.
    From what I have seen Triton Marine in manufacturing the best C-dorys every produced. You can find a really nice outfitted 22 for around 40K, capable outfitted 22 for 30k. You don’t see them come up for sale all that much so be ready and able to make a deal when one is available, it will not last long.
    If you can swing it the the 25 ft C-droy has a full head and way more room then the 22, or go for the 26 ft C-dory Venture if you can find one. For use, the 22 makes it happen for now and I have the pink slip.
    If you want the whole story go here: http://www.c-brats.com
    IMG_2614.jpg
    thanks for the pic!..i dont know what it is about these boats, but i sure have a soft spot in my heart for one!!...if the mrs and i didnt have the grand plan of doing the whole pacific coast line, and some fast trips out and back, this boat would be the one i think!!..it would be great in the bigger inland lakes in BC too!....very nice larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast