Thread: bird in the hand vs. two in bush?

Question bird in the hand vs. two in bush?

I am watching “Out of the Wild: the Alaska experiment” on Netflix steaming. It is an entertaining show. It is a reality show with a group of people with minimal experience and equipment as they try to navigate the Alaskan wilderness. It is a great show and I have enjoyed following the program. The group ends up eating squirrels and such as they try to provide nutrition for themselves as they try to get back to civilization. They caught a rainbow trout (identified as an Alaskan Lake trout) that was full of eggs and ate the eggs as an excellent source of protein, and that got me to thinking. Would it be better to use the eggs from the trout (or viscera from squirrels and mice etc.) as bait to try to get fish in lakes than to eat them and get the nutrients from the ‘bird in the hand’ as opposed to the ‘two in the bush’ that the potential fish might represent?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Probably depends. What were they using for bait or a lure to catch the first fish? If they can catch fish on spinners, flies, or worms, then it was probably a good idea to eat the eggs. Eggs are a rich source of protein. If they were lacking bait to begin with, then it would be wise to save at least some of the eggs for bait. However, chances are, unless they have some way to preserve all of them, the eggs wouldn't last very long for bait anyhow.

They only caught a couple of fish on the show. One coho that looked like a boot in a river, and a good looking rainbow from a canoe in a lake. I think that they were throwing hardware for the fish, they commented that they could see them rising, but couldn't get a bite, but I couldn't tell what they were using. The show was filmed in late fall/early winter.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I would have at least given the guts a shot if it were me.