Thread: Kimber kevlar/carbon fiber stock problems???

Default Kimber kevlar/carbon fiber stock problems???

A friend, fellow forum member and hunting partner showed me his beautiful Kimber rifle.

Anyone seen or heard of cracking issues with Kimber's Kevlar/carbon fiber stock?

I saw a formidable crack just forward of the grip. Kimber denies any liability suggesting the gun was torqued wrong... Funny - cuz the gun has never been out of the stock... So then they suggest that's the problem... Feels a little like they just don't want to deal with it... (and oh yea - it is outside the 1 year warranty)

The gun is a 300 wsm, has been on a few hunts (never dropped or damaged) fired about 2-3 boxes of ammo.

Anyone out there have any suggestions?

Kimber again
    Tell your bud to sell it and eat the loss

Wink hahahahahahahha

You know something or just have a biased opinion???

I will admit that I have a 300 win mag with a WWG Kevlar stock. It has been beat to hell - and has never cracked... So biased or not - maybe your opinion has some fact behind it....

I've not worked on Montana stock, but if it is Kevlar/carbon fiber constructed there is no reason that the stock cannot be repaired and repainted. Properly repaired it will be at least as strong as it was when new, perhaps much stronger. Any lightweight stock can show this type of problem, Kimber or otherwise. Using minimal amounts of material (trying to save weight) does not promote durability. Having said that, once properly fixed I'd trust it as much as any other stock of similar construction.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Cor is correct they can be repaired. If professionally done it costs $. If home done, well it depends how good he is.
    Worth more as a project for someone than it is to fix it.

You know something or just have a biased opinion???
    Yeah

Not the first time I have heard folks complaining about Kimber rifles, not the first bad one we have seen, and I can personally vouch for the crappiness of their customer service.

Wild,

How dare you dis the Kimbergunwoobie?

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    Wild,

How dare you dis the Kimbergunwoobie?
    Mea culpa. Indulgeo mihi frater pro ego teneo non quis ego operor.

I've got three of em and I really like that Kimber stock....no problems at all....I prefer Kimber Montana stocks over the synthetic stocks on my two Dakotas.

There seems to be a lot more broken stocks now that more hunters use ATVs and those darned gun boots....the only stocks I've ever broken were being carried in those Kolpin gun boots....two Colt Sauers in two years. No more Kolpins for me.

Stocks can crack/break for any number of reasons. The most common seems to be 4 wheelers and snow machines. The thrashing they take when attached or carried on these contraptions is more than many can withstand. After that the second most common cause seems to be loose guard/action screws, caused by you guessed it, 4 wheelers and snow machines. Most can be repaired with good epoxy and patience. The attached photo is of an A-bolt stock that came into the shop 2 days ago. Broken on a snow machine. Its repairable, but the gun is going into a factory plastic stock at the owners request. Like Vern said prior to this post, gun boots can be problemestate 1 060.jpgatic. If you are going to use one, be sure the rifle can't bounce inside the boot. Make sure it fits tight. If you must, pack a rag or towel around the stock to firmly hold it in the boot.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

My montana had a 4 inch on the stock near the recoil lug when I bought it. Sent it back and it was fixed free of charge. Never had an issue again

Outside of all warranties, check out mpi stocks, they make a replacement stocks for Kimber Rifles. Warranties are always tough to deal with even with companies that guarantee the warranty for life with the original owner. If its only warranted for a year, with any company, your going to have a tough time not spending more money to get it repaired factory.

I have a Montana .308 with the factory kevlar stock which I have put hundreds of rounds through and huffed it up and down mountains all over AK. Its been dropped and knocked and I havent had any issue with it what-so-ever. It was good from the box.

Sorry to hear about your Kimber issues, I definitely wouldnt sell it right away.

i currently own (and shoot the heck out of) three kimber montana's....and think they are the next best thing to a full custom rifle. they are some of the toughest and well designed stocked rifles available. short of using one for a pry-bar, breaking the stock during normal use seems unlikely. however, anything is possible.

for a laugh, check out the youtube video of that stock being shot with a 12ga ( up close ) and still being serviceable

the advice on stock repair by a knowledgeable repair person is a great idea, a product like acraglass from brownell's can heal a stock like a welding rod to steel.

good luck with your rifle.
    happy trails.
    jh

I have owned Kimber, and they are good shooting rifles that shot very well, good accuracy but were not my most accurate rifles I have owned. I did not like the feel of the 8400 Montana in 30-06 I owned, it shot great but not as accurate as my Mark V in 30-06 and I never warmed up to that Montana. Of course that has to do with preference. Had a friend who had one that one of the scope base holes were not true and in line with the other three holes. Kimber has had their ups and downs like a lot of companies. I think for their reputation and for sales sake they should practice good customer service. They should fix it even if they think it is something the hunter did to it, because that has to do with long term sales and also reflects on the attitude of the company and how it feels about it's customer base. Repeat business is so important in the gun industry because competition is hot and heavy, trying to get the hunter and shooters dollar.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS