Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keep your spots a secret.

Default Keep your spots a secret.

I just want to plead to people on here to keep small game hunting spots to your self. I know its nice to be able to tell a new guy to go somewhere but when you tell it on a public forum your really telling thousands of people. And your secret might be my secret.

Mystery Creek Road for example. It has been getting alot of press on here lately. A few years ago, while it was no big secret, it still had pretty good hunting and if you woke up early you had a good chance of being the first one there. Not so anymore. traffic is nuts on that road and hunting is horrible. Then theres the ATV trails up around sutton. Same story. And a few of you have come dangerously close to letting the cat out of the bag on a few spots.

Granted sometimes I think maybe there out to be a few standard locations that we give out to every new guy that comes on here everyother day asking where to shoot animals. It will answer their question and leave the good spots one more weekend of not being discovered.

There used to be lots of good grouse hunting options I had to choose from. Now, well all my spots are pretty bad. I still have about 2 that are okay.

Thanks for "spilling the beans" on a couple spots. :P

The whole "secret spot" concept is silly. It is public land. Everyone knows it is huntable. This forum is hardly the cause of increased hunting pressure out in the woods. The locations you mentioned have been well-known hunting areas for at least the last 30 years. I remember folks talking about those same "secret spots" back in the early 80s. News flash... there are no "secret spots".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

The whole "secret spot" concept is silly. It is public land. Everyone knows it is huntable. This forum is hardly the cause of increased hunting pressure out in the woods. The locations you mentioned have been well-known hunting areas for at least the last 30 years. I remember folks talking about those same "secret spots" back in the early 80s. News flash... there are no "secret spots".
    well there ARE SOME still... but they sure ain't within any easy miles of any town.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well "Palmer Creek" is still top secret. And the Kenai River is yet to be discovered....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well "Palmer Creek" is still top secret. And the Kenai River is yet to be discovered....
    i have heard rumors about that river... any chance you would give me directions? pm me if you like... i don't want your secret hole on it.. just would like to be able to wander the wilderness banks and try my luck along the beaches... i hear there are miles of sand that have never seen a human foot print... i would so love to be the first to discover a nook ... thanks in advance
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    well there ARE SOME still... but they sure ain't within any easy miles of any town.
    Kind of depends on what town you live-in.......does it not. And beside if you live in the correct towns (Like Hope) they give you subsistence caribou & Moose permits.........hehehehehehehe Like they say if you don't like the quality of life where you are........MOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i have heard rumors about that river... any chance you would give me directions? pm me if you like... i don't want your secret hole on it.. just would like to be able to wander the wilderness banks and try my luck along the beaches... i hear there are miles of sand that have never seen a human foot print... i would so love to be the first to discover a nook ... thanks in advance
    What is funny is that it was not that long ago that there was no roads to may of these places. The Hope road was built in 1956-58'. The Denali Hwy. was built in 1958 to 1960.

You don't have to use a megaphone to share information. Discretion is a great thing.
    And thanks for all the great tips I've gotten discretely from folks on this forum.

I posted a story on AOJ about three fishermen coming to fisticuffs over a spot on Deep Creek this past summer. DEEP CREEK!!! One was mad that the other, who was from out of town, was fishing in his secret spot. Verbal assaults were made. Rocks were thrown in the water. Crying, gnashing of teeth, the whole nine yards... all of this over a bend in the river 100 yards from the road. There aren't any secret spots in a state with three roads. A spot is either easily huntable/fishable and therefore less populated with game, or it is not easily huntable/fishable and game is more plentiful.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

This forum is so BI-POLAR. If you don't help they rip you a new one, if you do tell they rip you a new one. Was just a few months ago everyone was shreading me because I wouldn't tell a draw hunter where the B&C caribou live in the Kenai Mountains.

I am new to hunting, and I thought this was common sense.
    I asked the same question "where should I go?" when I first got out, and no one helped me. I understood why.
    When someone post's they hunted in "Sutton", that may mean a number of things. Just keep things vague.
    If someone needs help, I will point them to the flats, which would be a great place to start. We should all do the same.
    If they are trust worthy, they will meet people that will help them, I did.
    Thanks to my mentors who made my success's possible.

PM is a great thing....

Imagine if you will....with best of intentions, telling the whole wide web world about a bird/bunny hunting area...then next time you go there you see a militia style attack on the resources by an organized group of "harvesters"... that right there is enough to keep my flap shut for the most part. I will help anyone out who I think is genuine, but I will do it privately or not at all.

Not secret,,but some spots are better then others. I do my own scouting about. Everyone else can do the same is the way I figure. Now if you want help on what to look for,or what type of lure to use thats different. Also,,its not about hunting in the woods,its abouut telling the web where in particualr is a good spot; And after time turns into a dead zone. Whats wrong with putting on your boots jumping in your vehicle and go check areas out on your own. If you travel the highways enough youl see spots that you know look good. I usually write down mileposts and keep journals of areas I see that look good or have produced. Just saying..........

Don't worry Rimfire, I know our secret bunny spots is still hush, hush.
    Rich

Guys I found the best spot to hunt...

Tons and tons of Turkeys and Vultures. And a few wild *****s running around.

And the shark fishing is excellent!

I know you guys will keep my secret so don't spread this around....

58.302158 -134.10705
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

I know where there are monster Dall Sheep, and the areas get almost no hunting pressure. The big three National Parks.....hehehehehe

All goofing around aside, I was raised that if you have something good, you are best not to go blabbing about it. And it is completely true that there are NO SECRET SPOTS. Even out in Dillingham, remote as it is I will never cast or hike or shoot where another man hasn't at one time or another.

BUT!, it doesn't mean that spots don't get forgotten when either someone or a group leave town (happens out here all the time) or it gets shot out etc and folks stop going there but you return 5 years later and it's good again. No, not a secret, but it doesn't mean that you need to tell the entire world. I agree with PMing folks, cuz so many spots and knowledge are either hard earned....or second hand, and you don't want to bite the hand that fed you in the first place, and as such are worth being discretionary on who you tell.

There's a full contingent of folks even out here that I nearly have to lie to to make sure they aren't parked right where I go for either fishing or hunting. Others (my friends) would never go there or ask if I would be around, likewise if a guy turns me on to a spot, I call him first so we don't end up doubling up on the spot (especially moose season but this applies to a sweet duck cove or char spawning spot, berry patch for birds etc.).

Example. Somebody asks me "where'd ya get your moose"....and I tell them...."Up on the lakes"...(this is an area 85 miles long one way, and I've taken moose as close as 6 miles from the landing...to as far as 58). I don't give a rip if they go up there, but for darn sure if I tell em I got a moose at X Bay. There will be boats there next year (hunting last year's moose . I haven't lied, but I certainly haven't given them much to go on, they are welcome to go up and find out themselves.

I have gotten very selective in who I go with and who I tell anything to. This state has way too many new folks that are daunted by the enormity of it all,don't know where to start and will immediately take to the first thing that comes out of your mouth, and if it's specific, you are going to see them...and often several of their friends. If I get to know them and they are more parallel with my thought process and respectful of the info and resources, I'm quite generous with the information I have, but if you're a schmuck, you will get perhaps a weather report, or a chicadee count.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post

There are spots that are secret to some people. For example: This last fall, while browsing google earth I found a road and thought man that looks like a jackpot for moose. So I went and investigated. Holy cow, people everywhere! I have been up here 26 years and never heard of the place, yet it was pretty heavily used. I went back up there for grouse and people still up there hunting for grouse.

And with my example you'll notice that even though it is no secret, and I have no intention of going there again, Im not giving out the road name.

And i dont know what your getting into with the public land issue. Im not trying to keep anyone off public land or hinder their access. Just saying if you want to help some one out instead of saying X marks the spot, just say something like "along the susitna river south of houston is a good spot" or pm it.

And Sniper thanks for keeping that rabbit spot a secret. Thats a good spot. And as you know, readily accesable. Yet no one else is hunting it.

To make matters simple, the ADF&G should publish a list of all the best spots along with coordinates and driving directions. Equal access, right?

(oh, I'm j/k... don't get your panties in a wad)
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

It's agreed then. Word of mouth should be the only way to discuss any game areas.
    It may not be only you who gets screwed by posting spots, so don't mess it up for everyone who hunts in "your" sweet spot.
    Pm's and phone calls aren't archived for the whole world to see. Good lines for these kind of topics.

So New Guys: Don't Ask Where to Hunt, Put in the Leg Work!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast