Thread: MSR Whisperlite converting to duel fuel

Default MSR Whisperlite converting to duel fuel

I currently have a MSR Whisperlite. I have had this stove for years. I was wondering if anyone has burned gasoline in it? Can I get a rebuild kit for a whisperlite international and put it in the stove to make it a duel fuel stove? Has anyone tried this? It would make it easier to burn gasoline because I can get that any where. And if I run out I can always put some from the ATV,Boat,Truck, hell anything. Thanks

Yes you can. Review the info I posted from MSR. I would install the shaker jet if it's still available. I got mine from REI. With reg gas or poor quality white gas the jet is prone to clogging and will require cleaning more frequently and this is where the shaker jet will come in handy. It won't eliminate cleaning when burning poor quality gas, but it sure helps reduce the frequency.

http://www.msrcorp.com/support/stoves.asp#20

Woody

I use it with anything that burns no problem
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Better safe than sorry...

I would verify with MSR what you have heard here. They will know for sure. I have a whisperlite international. Heard burning gas was really dirty in the stove. If you use it often enough, it may be worth buying a whisperlight international. I got one and a MSR repair kit for the stove. A replacement for anything that could go wrong. Except the pump melting. And that would take a pretty dumb person to do it. But for that matter its only about $25 for a spare pump. I take this setup (minus pump) on all my trips and have had no problems at all. Fantastic product. Sell the old one on ebay and put the cash towards the new one. Food for thought.

Hey Dan they now have out a new pump that is supposed to give better simmer control along with being more bulletproof.
    I think I'm going to pick one up for my old Whisperlite Int. & use my old one for a spare on remote hunts.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default New pump...

Sounds good man. Do you know where I could find the new pump. Sounds like a nice upgrade to an already bullet proof design. Thanks.