Thread: Soft-shell Pants Mens - Recomendations?

Default Soft-shell Pants Mens - Recomendations?

Looking at getting some new softshell pants for Winter hiking/snowshoeing and general out and about. I want a light(ish) fleece type lining or no lining as I prefer to layer and don't want heavy insulated. Also looking for long bottom zips and integral boot gaiters. I have seen a few types from Patagonia, Mountain Hardware and Lowe Alpine, but thought I'd ask around before I shell out the $$.

Default Materials, features, ...and fit

Mammut Champ (if you can find them), Arc'teryx Gamma MX, Marmot Scree are favored by many, but each individual's requirements in materials, features, fit can make it tough to find clothing that meets all 3 criteria - especially fit. In end-of-season discounts, sometimes your size isn't available. Belt loops, breathable, water-resistant (DWR is fine) material with real cargo pockets that I can stuff gloves or knit cap into (2 better than one) and zippers on legs are desirable features for me, but fit is the main thing. Whatever features you choose, if you can find them in end of season discounts, so much the better.

Mammut Champ pants: great pants, but since being phased out, I'm just wearing mine out, along with the SportHill Expeditions I also like. Great materials, features and fit for me- and were available at discount for awhile. Basically no longer available now- and even if you found a pair, you won't know about fit until you try them on. If you can find pants that meet your needs locally, IMO that's simplest.

Arc'teryx Gamma MX pants: (http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx.../Gamma-MX-Pant) are a favorite of many sheephunters - and seem to offer stretch, breathability, water resistance plus tough-enough for the job.

Marmot has several pants worth looking at- and their system of rating their softshell materials (http://marmot.com/technology?page=1) is helpful. Here's the Scree pant: http://marmot.com/products/scree_pant, one of their M3 (most breathable) softshell materials and a good value even at full price.

REI-Outlet, Altrec.com, Backcountry.com, Steepandcheap.com, are some good online sources. Lujon posted a good site a couple weeks ago too, http://www.departmentofgoods.com. I've seen some good buys at Mack's Sport Shop too- but they seem to mark stuff down early, during the silver run maybe to catch the last of summer's traffic with their surplus inventory. One of the guys in our group picked up honey of a deal on the Patagonia SST wading jacket couple of years ago.

Good luck.

Ill Second Mammut Champs. Those are my favorite skiing/hiking/hunting pants. That and good long underwear and gaiters. Wears like iron and feel oh so nice.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Ill Second Mammut Champs. Those are my favorite skiing/hiking/hunting pants. That and good long underwear and gaiters. Wears like iron and feel oh so nice.
    If you like the Champ pants then the Westcomb Syncro's will be just the ticket!! I love mine. They updated the model and gave it a new name which escapes me at the moment... Great pants though!

Thanks guys. Took a look around locally and found the Mm Scree, but the fit was just no quite there. Had a pair of Champs, but only in Small.
    Also found Patagonia (I think they were called) Guide pants. They are very good. Going to take a look on-line at the other suggestions, but so far I think I am going for the Patagonias.

If you are willing to pony up the pata-gucci prices then definitely check out Westcomb! Barneys carries the line, call Bob and get his opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you are willing to pony up the pata-gucci prices then definitely check out Westcomb! Barneys carries the line, call Bob and get his opinion.
    The Westcombs, now called the Westcomb Recon are running about 300 online, the pata's I can get for 150 which suprised me. Also I can try the pats on locally, the Westcombes I can't.

May also want to check out some of Mountain Hardwear pants. They seem to be made a little longer withouth actually having to order a size long. The makalu first comes to mind if you can find them. I first shop for comfort, with that said the REI taku really fit well. They are more of a rain/ ski pant but they breathe pretty well. Lastly you may look at the mistral pants at REI. Good luck

I have been wearing Patagonia's Guide pants/Alpine guide pants for the last 3 years ... full time. Comfortable, durable, stretchy, pockets, loops for full sized belts, dry fast. For cold weather, just add more layers. They can be had for as little as $100 at the Patagonia's WebSpecials. I've bought 3 pairs and they don't get holes or wear out. Wash them and they're spiffy enough to wear to town.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have been wearing Patagonia's Guide pants/Alpine guide pants for the last 3 years ... full time. Comfortable, durable, stretchy, pockets, loops for full sized belts, dry fast. For cold weather, just add more layers. They can be had for as little as $100 at the Patagonia's WebSpecials. I've bought 3 pairs and they don't get holes or wear out. Wash them and they're spiffy enough to wear to town.
    Sometimes people tell you some usefull stuff and sometimes they tell you stuff that is very useful, but will leave ya broke. Alpines in my size are on webspecials for $100 and so are loads of other things that I NEED NOW. Oh well looks as though the wife is going to be PO'd again!

Just a heads up...

There are several pairs of XL westcomb syncros scholer pants at Sentry Hardware here in Fairbanks. for 59 bucks. They are some nice looking pants but a little big for me. But if they fit someone they would be one heck of a bargain.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Marmot SCREE Pants!

I've been wearing a pair of Patagonia Guide pants for four years now. I sewed a pair of suspenders into them and they have performed admirably in all conditions. I need a few patches in them from crampon strikes and scree slides but they are worth the money IMO. I would suspect that all of the other reputable companies have good pants as well. I just know that the Guide pants work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    Just a heads up...

There are several pairs of XL westcomb syncros scholer pants at Sentry Hardware here in Fairbanks. for 59 bucks. They are some nice looking pants but a little big for me. But if they fit someone they would be one heck of a bargain.
    Yep, that's a heck of a deal. Unfortunately, checking their sizes I'd need to spend close to $200 in McD's to make me fit them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jackson View Post
    I've been wearing a pair of Patagonia Guide pants for four years now. I sewed a pair of suspenders into them and they have performed admirably in all conditions. I need a few patches in them from crampon strikes and scree slides but they are worth the money IMO. I would suspect that all of the other reputable companies have good pants as well. I just know that the Guide pants work for me.
    Yep going for the Guides. Specially as I can get for 130 on Black Friday. They fit the best of all and feel more robust than the Screes.

nbh40 ...
    You'll like the Pata. Guide pants. But, go to patagonia.com/webspecials and get them for $100 ... and in a color an outdoorsman can love.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    nbh40 ...
    You'll like the Pata. Guide pants. But, go to patagonia.com/webspecials and get them for $100 ... and in a color an outdoorsman can love.
    I thought they had my size, but after trying them on locally the sizes available online are too big. Been too active since I've been here and getting skinny. So i'll pick-up local on Black Friday. I do like the green on the Website, but have to settle for black. Green/camo doesn't really matter so much up here I am finding out. Man, in the summer you could wear Blaze orange from head to toe and you still won't be seen in the grass/alders!