Thread: Art Young in Alaska

Default Art Young in Alaska

I thought you guys might like to see a short clip from this video. The actual video is much longer.

In the early 1920's Art Young came to Alaska to hunt and explore. Leaving Seward he hunted with a well known guide at that time named Hank Lucas. This clip shows the moose hunt on the Kenai Peninsula...they hunted the Tustumena bench between Skilak and Tustumena lakes. The boat they made out of the moose hide was for floating out the Killey River.

references: Outdoor Life magazine, June 1924

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScriCsKK-o

Wow! Just, wow!
    Thanks for sharing Tustumena. Hank Lucas, Andy Simons, Andy Anderson, Berg, and that bunch were truly the men.
    Would loved to have lived in that day, or even into the 30's. Notice the ravages of forest fire that made the Kenai "moose heaven"?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Wow! Just, wow!
    Thanks for sharing Tustumena. Hank Lucas, Andy Simons, Andy Anderson, Berg, and that bunch were truly the men.
    Would loved to have lived in that day, or even into the 30's. Notice the ravages of forest fire that made the Kenai "moose heaven"?
    I thought you did?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Wow! Just, wow!
    well i really like that list of names sayak. i don't know if you've ever read it, but the best book about Andy Anderson of Skilak that I know of was written by Ada White Sharples called Two Against The North. The Kenai library has a copy and its well worth the visit.

I've got a film with Andy Simons in it taken back in the thirties up by Twin Lakes between Skilak and Tustumena. One of these days I'll figure out how to upload it so I can put it out there. Its awesome, professionally made and in color. I have several old films i need to upload 1911-1940...several old hunting novels and old magazines with Andy Simons stories.

Hunting on Kenai Peninsula by John Eddy 1925
    and oddly enough by a similar name...
    Hunting on the Kenai Peninsula by Morris Parrish 1913, just a photocopy this is rare only 4 books privately printed.

Andy Simons was quite the guy. I like how they pulled the boat up through the Kenai River Canyon by ropes along shore at the end of each hunting season.

the 1911 film of the village of Kenai i got by accident. an old Alaskan classic hunting novel called Hunting In The Arctic And Alaska by E. Marshall Scull written in 1915 mentioned taking film during the trip. so after reading the book i sought to find the film which i did in a film museum overseas. i negotiated for a copy of the film taken by Kleinschmidt and they threw in the 2 minute film of Kenai with it. its the oldest recorded video of the western side of the Kenai Peninsula.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I thought you did?
    Smartatz. Not everyone is as old as you KTKN.

Default Have read the Sharples book

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    well i really like that list of names sayak. i don't know if you've ever read it, but the best book about Andy Anderson of Skilak that I know of was written by Ada White Sharples called Two Against The North. The Kenai library has a copy and its well worth the visit.

I've got a film with Andy Simons in it taken back in the thirties up by Twin Lakes between Skilak and Tustumena. One of these days I'll figure out how to upload it so I can put it out there. Its awesome, professionally made and in color. I have several old films i need to upload 1911-1940...several old hunting novels and old magazines with Andy Simons stories.

Hunting on Kenai Peninsula by John Eddy 1925
    and oddly enough by a similar name...
    Hunting on the Kenai Peninsula by Morris Parrish 1913, just a photocopy this is rare only 4 books privately printed.

Andy Simons was quite the guy. I like how they pulled the boat up through the Kenai River Canyon by ropes along shore at the end of each hunting season.
    Would love to see that film.
    Those books sound fascinating. You are a fortunate man to own them.

hey sayak, i have a couple photos i wanted to share with you. the first one is a young andrew berg guiding dall deweese around 1898 or so...they are up in tustumena high country at andrews cabin by Watch Creek which is about 9 miles up Indian Creek. Andrew is on the far left. The second is a moose photo taken by Andy Simons and i'll bet its not very far from Benjamin Creek, somewhere close to the bench on the tlake side. Sure its just another Alaskan moose photo, but the reason its significant is this is the only photo I have ever seen with Simons name on it, probably 1920 or so. Simons was into guiding, not photography.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You da man!
    That is a picture I have never seen of Berg.
    They are talking about what makes a real Alaskan over in the Global Discussion thread. I have to snicker when I see pictures like that.
    Wonder what the roofing was on that cabin. I've heard of them using birch bark "tiles". Can't see them hauling in tin that far.

Looks like it's a beer and popcorn night at tustamenas....Id like to see that video too!!! I think I have a copy of the original art young hunt, or atleast a couple with blerps form it in there. I remember the sheep being shot and moose.

Interesting to see this clip from another era. Thanks.

yea that is great footage I have the video, i got it at Pope and Young Club when i was there.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER