Thread: Missing bunnies!

Default Missing bunnies!

So the first snow has stuck to the ground in the woods the last few days and i've gone from seeing 1-10 bunnies per nite to none in 3 days.

Is there camo working that well already and i'm just not seeing them or do you sappose they hunker down for the first few days of snow to acclimate?

No more hunting after work next week! Guess i'll start working on the house again!
    Last edited by limon32; 11-04-2010 at 20:27. Reason: Bad spelling!

A little of both, the last few days in Kenai have not been very conducive to anything moving around much.

Try using the snow to track them. Different season different method!

Thats part of what got me thinking perhaps they're hunkered down, I saw VERY few tracks last night and tonight in the fresh snow. I was walking in a place I normally see a ton of tracks later in the winter. Maybe like sameyer said, the rough weather is not conducive to hare movement...

Thanks for the input!

I would have to agree. The weather in my neck of the woods has been eratic, and the bunnies do not like freezing rain anymore than we do. Good luck.

Maybe they just hit the end of their peak cycle down on the Kenai. The population could have temporarily crashed. I have been seeing plenty of them up here around the valley.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Maybe they just hit the end of their peak cycle down on the Kenai. The population could have temporarily crashed. I have been seeing plenty of them up here around the valley.
    I have been seeing plenty of bunnies down on the Peninsula. Me and a friend got 5 the other day and 2 spruce hen.
    There were a few more we saw that ended up out of range or did not present us with shots.
    Need to get some more next time home so my buddie can make some sausage. I saw the reciepe on here and am wanting to try it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Theres definately a few around down here, I just noticed a sharp down turn in the number I saw as soon as the snow hit and stayed on the ground, was wondering if it was coincidence or something to it. Seems perhaps a momentary down turn as I got 1 more tonight and scared several that I never saw. On a side note I saw a size 10 boot sized bear track that was quite new!