Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Skagway...Any good fishing??

  1. #1
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default Skagway...Any good fishing??

    There's a slight chance work could take me to Skagway on a more or less permanent gig. I've never really heard of anyone fishing there, so I'm all ears if anyone has any knowledge of the area.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default

    The only thing Good to say is that, it is a short drive over to Carcross and Tagish. This is the South Lakes Region. You will fall in love with that area. Skagway, well..not so much but it is fun to mess with the tourists in summer.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    but it is fun to mess with the tourists in summer.
    Yeah, I imagine they get more than their share of the....umm....less than knowledgeable ones.

    There really doesn't look there's much in the way of fishable waters around there and it's a pretty long boat ride out.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    183

    Default

    There is some reasonable King salmon fishing there from May through July peaking around July fourth. This is a hatchery run and the size is usually pretty good. I have not had much luck with the coho(silvers) there. The shrimping is good and the crabbing tends to get better the closer you get to Haines. As for as bottom fish go I have had very little luck until chilkoot inlet, taiya is deep.
    Your right in my opinion about the long boat ride to good fishing. The icy straights is about a three to four hour run in a fast boat.
    AKres is correct about the southern lakes area, it is very nice with some decent fishing for lake trout,grayling ,& pike.

  5. #5

    Default

    Skagway gets a decent King run early in the year, but the better fishing is down by Haines. You will find yourself running your boat down the Taiya inlet to fish in the lynn canal proper most of the time.

    There is also good freshwater fishing in Haines, so you may end up taking the fast ferry over on days off to enjoy Haines' fishing.
    I know of one guy who actually keeps his boat in Haines although he lives in Skagway. He is here every weekend when the fish are in.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •