Thread: Combat fishing

Default Combat fishing

Is it really that bad fishing in alaska?
    Most places i've been to, people are pretty considerate. With that said, I've never fish in a river with a ton of fish before. The river is very long, I'm sure i would have a problem finding some room if i'm willing to walk further down river right? Are the rivers pretty wide or very narrow?

It depends what river you are talking about. I haven't fished the "combat rivers," but I have fished in near-combat situations, at certain times of the day. I usually try to fish the evenings and at "night." The flip style of fishing doesn't really require alot of room, but when people move into "your" space, it gets a bit frustrating. You can find places where there isn't combat, but you can also find places where you definitely have to combat for your fish.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Typically speaking there are certain access points, in those areas there will be people. At the same time in many places people congregate, well so do the fish. Combat fishing is called so do to injuries or the potential for injuries due to congestion and flying tackle. If I rememer hearing correctly at one of the hospitals on the Kenia pennisula, they put up a mannequin in which they attach pins or something to each place they remove hooks from that year(and it gets colorful). I have never seen it nor do I know anyone that has required treatment but it happens. Is it that bad.......well depends on the crowd. It can be an enjoyable time if people are courteous etc.

As Ripface said, depends on the river. Alot of the river water levels fluctuate considerably based on rainfall and runoff. In turn some are like flood plains to a degree, others have cutbanks to prevent access and some are managable if you have access. Roads are limited here so you can bet if you can drive to it so can everyone else and they will. Does it make it bad? I don't think so. I have always enjoyed fishing and since moving to AK I don't beleive that the fishing here can be matched.
    Last edited by AKBighorn; 02-14-2007 at 01:03. Reason: addition

Speaking of injuries, you ALWAYS want to wear sunglasses and a hat in combat areas. When people jerk to hook a fish, or a fish throws the hook, typically it comes flying back and hits somebody. Even bad casters/flippers can and will hit you with weight or hook. Be very wary of that, and try to put yourself in a less populated place. I like to wade out to an island where I bank fish...but don't get sucked into the current either, hehe.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Default Crowds

At times, the most crowded fishery in Alaska, but with a short hike downstream, even these crowds can be avoided! Or jump in a boat and let everyone else fight it out around the most popular access points. I have floated through a scene like this many times just to find solitude around the next bend! It may not be a true wilderness experience, but I'm still drawn to the Kenai/Russian for a good show every year! It's like driving during rush hour.... give the person next to you a little room and signal when passing. And as the second picture shows, everyone is welcome!

Wyatt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default The King of Combat...

When you have the time, visit http://www.kenaidreams.com

His stories about time in the zone are very amusing and well worth reading.

As far as the question goes, combat fishing is not bad Alaskan fishing.
    It is the reality of fish migration, highway access, and shared information. It will never go away and is only destined to increase in the years ahead.

Forum members do a good job of informing individuals who have never stepped into the zone what lies ahead. Unfortunately, there are hundreds of anglers who step right into zones without the slightest knowledge of what lies ahead and therein the adventure continues.

Years ago I used to fish those spots. I never regretted the crowds, the excitement, or the opportunity. I even fished with a buddy who could afford most anything but insisted we hit the confluence just for the thrill of the mosh pit!

Trust me, if you are new to Alaskan fishing and want to know all about what it's really like in combat fishing, then follow the hyper-link and read all about it from one whom I consider to be an expert...

Http://www.alaskanauthor

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdane View Post
    Is it really that bad fishing in alaska?
    Most places i've been to, people are pretty considerate. With that said, I've never fish in a river with a ton of fish before. The river is very long, I'm sure i would have a problem finding some room if i'm willing to walk further down river right? Are the rivers pretty wide or very narrow?
    They are both narrow and wide. Kenai is wide and the russian is narrow. There are places to fish were there is not allot of people. IE te Sancuary is horrible. I stay away from there. Once it's open the russian river is quiet.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Combat fishing is more tolerable when you at least have room to swing your rod immediately downstream of where you are standing WITHOUT having someone in the way!

One rod length... is that asking too much?

Think about it the next time you want to cut into the line-up.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Combat fishing

Not only can some hook you, you might even hook yourself! Quite often the fidh may be hooked up in a fin or else where by accident and when the hook comes loose while fighting is sling shots right back at your or some one else. As Bighorn states many peolpe every years go to gewt these hooks out! See pic's enclosed!!! Not for the sqeemish though!!!!
    Last edited by Queen of Kings; 05-13-2007 at 18:30.

Default Combat fishing

One more pic!
    Last edited by Queen of Kings; 05-13-2007 at 18:30.

Default Terrible pics

Wow queen, those are some awful pics. Those show you why you ALWAYS wear glasses fishing. I wear polarized glasses I bought for about $20 whenever I fish, and wherever I fish. As for combat fishing, I have been to the Russian several times and the sanctuary area (the "zone") always looks too crazy to me. I fished upstream a couple hundred yards up from there on the Kenai once, never actually got into the mix of all the people. But now I move up the Russian itself. There is one hole that I will venture into where there are generally a few other people, but not so many that you can't get at least 10-20 feet of space of your own. Generally though I get even further away from the people and have at least a good 20-30 yards all to myself, except for when the bear cubs wander by. It is very enjoyable.

The sanctuary area holds tons of fish at certain times. But many, many fish head up the Russian as well, and even though they hold in the holes, they all have to go through the entire river to get where they are headed. I find that technique is the most important part of fishing the area versus finding the honey hole. Once you have the technique, pick a spot on the river, anywhere at all, and the fish will eventually pass by you. Use the technique, and bam, you have fish. I have never fished the sanctuary and yet I always leave with my limit. And more important than catching fish, I have never had a hook in my eye!!! Good luck.

As has been stated about sunglasses, don't forget to require your children to don them as well.

You are foolish if you don't wear glasses when yuo go down to the Russian. Seen to many people get hooked in the face.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default sick

OK, I'm going to have to throw up now.
    But I'm wearing sun glasses from now on when fishing.

What kind of lure was that anyway?
    Anyone know? I'm guessing that thing is illegal on the Russian.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.