Thread: 40 mile herd management meetings

Default 40 mile herd management meetings

Ok for those who are interested or concerned with the management of the 40 mile herd, the first round of meetings for the 2012 herd management changes are scheduled for Nov. 17, 18th at the alpine lodge in fairbanks. They will start at 8:30 am, and there will be an evening meeting on the first day for those who cannot get out of work. These meetings are to determine the direction of herd management in the future i.e. manage for growth, or hunt opportunity, or whatever. Future meetings will be to determine the actual rules once a direction is decided. For anyone who hunts this herd or is interested, I just got off the phone with the Tok biologist Jeff Gross. He specifically asked for as many members of the public to come and testify or take part as can. This upcoming meeting will be very important, public testimony is allowed, and I was told there will be attendance from AC's in the Anchorage area who believe things like 24 hour shooting frenzy openers are a perfectly fine way to manage this herd.

SO I will be attending, as I hunt this herd and care a great deal about its future. We have a chance to prevent this herd from taking a Nelchina herd style path. Predator control measures will also be on the table, so come out and listen/testify

New population survey data, calf survival rates birthing rates and other data will be presented at this meeting as well.

the entire herd management direction is on the table here, not just new hunt quotas, so this one is big. It will also cement the new management in for several years.

Andrew
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Anyone else going to be there, or planning on doping this winters 40 mile hunt. Even if you don't have anything to say, it would be a great opportunity to learn more about the herd and its future.
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i will be there for parts... i would like to make clear. this is a working meeting to begin the stages of renewing a plan that is about to expire in 2012. currently there is a harvest quota of 850 animals and a treaty agreement with the Canadians to grow this herd. Canada has NOT allowed any hunting for some time to grow this herd. these are the primary issues at this meeting.. not so much so the WAY they are hunted.. herd growth.. harvest able limits for both Federal subsistence and state huntings... as well the possibility of a Canadian bag limit or not.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That's basically what the bio in tok said. I am curious though as to se both what the canadians will do after giving up tere share of the quota for so long to promote herd growth, and to see how many want to see more effort put into growth versus expanding hunting opportunity. Got to say hats off to the canadians in yukon for being willing to give up there share in order to promote herd growth. I am also interested in what the pred. control measures will be. I have tried to take a few wolves there, but just hunting I have only gotten 1. There are a lot of wolves out there especially around the chicken area and along the border...A LOT of wolves