Thread: Dean Wilson Passes..

Default Dean Wilson Passes..

I posted this in the Trapping forum but I feel compelled to post it here as well because Dean had such an impact on hunting and trapping around the state.

Dean Wilson Sr. Passed away this week. He was in many ways kind of like another dad or uncle for me. He used to take me hunting when I was 10 or 11 years old. Dean supported my family the first year we came to Alaska. We were living on beans and salt pork and he showed a great deal of generosity by giving our family a moose quarter. He taught my brother and I how to set fox cubby sets and probably taught more people about trapping than the majority of people I know. I met my wife when we both were 13 years old at his moose camp. She was the very pretty girl out berry picking and I was the gangly kid who had proudly shot his second moose. Dean always had a spot for me around his campfire or would have time to visit. He liked to fish for King Salmon down from our house and would often visit.
    Most people around the state knew him as the fur buyer and owner of Klondike Furs.

He was always kind and strong even when his parkinson's caused problems.

I know that he is hunting moose and trapping wolves and lynx in that great trapping country beyond.
    http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...tance=outdoors

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I'm sorry to hear that....he was a great man!...I sold alot of fur to him over the years!

Another piece of old Alaska gone.He will be missed by many
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for the link to the article thomas. My dad's family grew up with the wilson family in Northway way back in the day. Dad hunted, Fished and trapped with dean and his brother, who ended up marrying into our family. I grew up in copper center and can remember trips to "uncle deans" place in kenny lake in the 70's and marveling at all the furs. I dont know if there was anyone more alaskan then dean wilson.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Sorry to hear it. I met the man in the 80s in fairbanks. He was a strait arrow guy. Never felt ripped off and always came away knowing more about furs then I did when I walked in. RIP Dean.

very sorry to hear that...i've heard so much of him over the years, i would have loved to have known him. his impact on the trapping community in this state was very big...no doubt about that.

Didn't know him that well, but if a man's character can be judged by the quality of his son, he was truly a great man who will be missed by many. My prayers are with your family Dean.
    Mike

Dean was an awesome person. There simply wasn't a better man. He will be missed by all. RIP Dean. Will see you on the trail someday.

Thomas,

Thanks for posting this. Wife and I saw the article yesterday in the Newsminer...Dean was always very good to us over the years when we'd bring in furs for sale. And when I was first starting out he gave me a lot of tips on how to properly skin.

Was hard to see Parkinson's take its toll over the years. Condolences to Dean's family and friends, he will be sorely missed but not forgotten.

This truely is a sad day for trappers in Alaska. Dean was a great man and his contributions to this state will be remembered for a long time to come.
    Me and my wife will always remember our time with Dean and Ada. The 6 am breakfasts the selling, the buying and the times on the line of the do's and dont's. Some of the best smiles I seen on Deans face is when I'd stop buy after sheep hunting to share some meat with him and give him a run down on the hunt. As my eyes swell I will say this. I will see you again on the line my freind.

Sincerely,
    Craig

Dean left many, many folks with positive memories of him, of trapping, and of hunting. I served on the ATA Board with him and went to pro fur rallies in Anch during Fur Rondy back in the 80's. Sold alot of fur to him as well.
    I think Dean would have protrayed himself as a commen man, but in truth, he was one of the truly gerat men of Alaska!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Dean will truly be missed.
    I didn't know him well but had the privelege of spending a little time with him on a couple of occassions. A genuinely good & gentle Christian man.
    I am the richer for having met him & the world is now a little poorer & darker place.
    Going to have to pull his trapping book off the shelf & read it again for the 100th time...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The celebration of life for Dean was incredible. The community of Kenny Lake really pulled together and honored a great man. Was honored to be there. RIP Dean.

I have hear of this book he wrote many times, but never knew its name. I would love to read it considering the respect and admiration so many have for him.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

I am glad people made it. I talked to Dell and was happy that it sounded like it was more of a celebration and a sending than a sorrowful affair. It was the way that he would of wanted it.

Akfishfool-

The link below will take you to Michael's online store which has it.
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...products_id=29

Really sorry to hear about Deans passing and glad that the celebration of his life went so well and many were able to make the trip. I never met him but have heard a lot about him over the years and like many have read and re-read his trapping book. RIP Dean...