Thread: Wood Bison Restoration Presentation

Default Wood Bison Restoration Presentation

Alaska Department of Fish and Game and wildlife planner Randy Rogers will discuss the long history of wood bison, North America's largest land mammal, in Alaska and the effort to restore them to parts of their original range. This is part of a free lecture series at the Alaska Zoo. Randy's presentation will take place Wednesday November 10th 7-8PM at the Alaska Zoo in the Gateway Education Building.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Hopefully F&G will start acting a little faster on implementing the reintroduction. The spring 2012 release seems to be little more than a goal at this point. Hopefully they can meet that date. It seems the resource developers (Doyon and some politicians) are the main obstacles at this point. If i'm correct the first release is supposed to be in the lower yukon / Innoko region and consist of 400 animals?

Outside Ak, the Montana FWP began accepting public comment on restoring a free ranging Bison herd to parts of Montana. The biggest obstacle there revolves around cattle ranchers who graze on BLM land. They seem to belive BLM land is "theirs" and cattle grazing should be the top priority.

It is too bad they did not put them in Delta or somewhere up north to start.

The tidal flats of Turnagain Arm NEVER had bison that I know of. They struggle to find dry ground down there and actually occupy PUBLIC LAND that NEVER should have been fenced. Now the moose down there are constrained from freely travelling from 20 mile to Portage to Placer and they have lost habitat to a non native specie. I would rather be able to hunt moose in 20 mile than POTENTIALLY hunt bison in 100 years (oh, forgot...I might be dead by then). Just in case you did not know, there used to be 40 -60 moose down there every winter on the flats till the 'petting zoo' came along.

HUH? Innoko is decent clip from the Arm. I'm pretty sure that's what I said...the lower yukon / Innoko. Hold on, I'm going to scroll down the page to make sure. Yep, Lower Yukon / Innoko. Delta has Bison, not sure if they are wood bison, but Bison they are. Are you upset by the Conservation Center? That dude owns the land so he can do whatever he wants with it. Right? Private land rights and that sort of thing. You can still hunt moose in that area, I hunt there.

Now if we could only get caribou, goats & rams in my part o' the world...I'd be in NIRVANA!

No I guess you don't know the area where the bison are currently staged. The bison are on PUBLIC land (USFS- Chugach NF) that was fenced under grazing permit which is displacing native species. I also am displaced from public land by the large fence.

The other thing is the wood bison are listed as a Threatened & Endangered specie. That means wherever they are released, the land owner/manager will have to do NEPA every time they want to do anything Federally Funded on their land that affects bison or bison habitat. If you don't understand the implications think of it this way, an endangered specie is released/reintroduced to occupy your yard...you want to build a garage but now you cannot because it may affect the endagered whatever they released into your yard

No I guess you don't know the area where the bison are currently staged. The bison are on PUBLIC land (USFS- Chugach NF) that was fenced under grazing permit which is displacing native species. I also am displaced from public land by the large fence.
    I thought the whole thing was on private land (U.S.S. 3738)? It sunk in the '64 earthquake and then has been rising again making it private property again. Maybe I was just misinformed.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

F&G plans to release 40 Wood Bison in the Innoko area, apperently they have 89 in holding at the Conservation cneter.
    The Wood Bison are larger than the Plains bison in Delta...

http://newsminer.com/view/full_story...ral-protection?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR