Thread: Marlin 45-70 for Moose

Default Marlin 45-70 for Moose

Just wondering what you thought about using a 45-70 405gr. bullet for moose.

Bowhunter,
    There have been many threads on this - do a search and you can find some good stuff. In a nutshell its a good combo but has some range limits. I have a Maarlin XLR 4570 and love it!
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

It'll work fine. Heck, I've seen them dumped with factory 350grn hollow points.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter1 View Post
    Just wondering what you thought about using a 45-70 405gr. bullet for moose.
    unless you are firing it out of a slingshot it'll do just fine.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Considering most shots at moose (among me and my compatriots at least) are within 150 yards, it'll do great. That big heavy bullet goes right through the thin hide and breaks the bones that get in its way. They do start losing energy fast outside of 100-ish yards because .45-70 is slow moving to begin with and the heavy bullets come out even slower.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Give those LeverEvolutions a try. They'll get you to 200 yards easily.

I've become a one-rifle hunter. That one rifle is a .45-70. I've taken everything but sheep with it, and next time I hunt sheep with a rifle it will go.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post

I've become a one-rifle hunter. That one rifle is a .45-70. I've taken everything but sheep with it, and next time I hunt sheep with a rifle it will go.

Taylor
    With iron sights---right?
    "Your papers are not in order"

Yeah, Marc hunts with open sights! That way he can give them the death stare and they just fall over! He's kind of like the Chuck Norris of the hunting community! ;-)
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

Like Marc Taylor posts, if you like it make it yours.

I have an M-39 Finn Mosin that I call such and since it places the shot, thats what I stick with, with most all rifle type hunting. Open sights are just fine, or scope it, 'cause only accurate rifles are interesting. A man who carrys one rifle is most likely very good with it.

Common'.....45-70 is no shabby round! Give it a shot getto know it and git yer hunt on..........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by sigabrt View Post
    With iron sights---right?
    Do your research, did you know he is a former(not ex) Marine Scout-Sniper?......so when he takes a sheep you owe him a case of beer!

Even with a scope the trajectory of a .45-70 for sheep is a challenge for anyone.
    Afflicted by condition human

[QUOTE=e45colt;829721]Do your research, did you know he is a former(not ex) Marine Scout-Sniper?QUOTE]

I didn't. In that case, I'm not impressed at all. 45-70 without sights of any kind would be impressive. Unless the challenge is for Marc to get it from the driver's seat of his truck. I'll buy beer for anyone who can take a sheep with a gun without sights. Maybe a bead-style .410
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Some sorta sights are needed, 'cause it IS a rifle...... it would be like a car without wheels if it didnt....winning a race without wheels would be impressive too, but I wouldnt even try.~~LOL!!~
    Ive shot quite a few sheep, all with open sights, nothing wrong with 'em.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

In my opinion, and not as a judgment, I'd say that scoping a .45-70 levergun is over-complicating the simple nature of a short-range heavy-hitting rifle.

But I'm jus' sayin'...

Long range shooting is as boring as close-in hunting is exciting.

Taylor

Have any of you looked into those tang sights, they look like they would be great for an 45-70.

I have been thinking a lot lately about a 45-70 Marlin in the 1895SBL, then today I fired a Browning 375 H&H for the first time and I liked it. For months I have been debating between the 45-70 and the 375 for a next rifle. So at what point in life (I' 49 y/o) am I supposed to accept the fact that I can't have everything I want? Heck, I'm not even sure I'll get the time to hunt but the hope is there.

I should get orders to leave Ft Campbell heading for AK next summer. I want to buy a new rifle to celebrate the anticipated orders...and because I want a NEW rifle. The great internal debate continues...

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    In my opinion, and not as a judgment, I'd say that scoping a .45-70 levergun is over-complicating the simple nature of a short-range heavy-hitting rifle.

But I'm jus' sayin'...
    Taylor
    Ya know Marc, if it weren't for the bifocals I just might agree with ya... For me a 2.75x scout scope works great on the 450 Guide Gun.
    Of course it's in QR rings so the XS ghost ring setup is always there for backup or REALLY nasty weather!

To the original poster, I agree with Marc that the 45-70 in a Marlin (or in my case 450, esentially the same balistics as a hot 45-70) can make you a one rifle guy. It has me! And even with the 420 hardcast bullets I use 200yds is not a problem (in my case with the scope).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."