Thread: Wrecked Champ at the Lake Hood T-line

Default Wrecked Champ at the Lake Hood T-line

Does anyone know what happened to the Champ at the Lake Hood T-line? IT looks like a tie-down broke free and she got flipped in a windstorm. Does anyone have any info?

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

There's an orange PA-11 that got whooped pretty bad by exactly what you mentioned.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Default Lake Hood Wind Damage

Happened last month during the high winds we had...Drove by the morning after...here is a pic...OUCH...(hope this picture comes thru)

IMG_0237.jpg
    Last edited by IndyCzar; 11-04-2010 at 15:12. Reason: Resend with pic

Thats the one. I thought it was a Champ, but I only took a quick look last night as I was headed out for a flight. Anyone know the full story?

Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I believe there are some issues with who is responsible for the accident. The State for supplying a tie down that failed? Or the owner who tied it down. So until some legal wrangling is done she sits.

I figured it was something like that. Thanks

Drew

Scott Adams

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

no idea how it happened but I did notice at least some of the tie downs where still attached when I drove by..not sure if they were RE-Attached to prevent further movement or just failed ...could not see them all...

Look at the ropes guys use. It isn't unusual to see a $150K airplane loosely tied up with 15 year-old dime store rope. Tie downs do fail occasionally. Inspected yours lately? Ropes and bad knots are the more common failure.

I too am always impressed the way people will spare no expense on their airplane and then buy the cheapest rope they can.
    Anyway, not the case with that one. Sounds like the states tiedown came out/failed. It will be interesting to see if/how the state makes it right. I would be very surprised if they don't lawyer out of full compensation. But hopefully I'm wrong.

FWIW, over the years I have been concerned with my earth anchors at Lake Hood. One time the cable loop was broken. Other times frayed and thin. Each time when I notified Field Maintenance they came out and installed new ones very quickly. Like next day. It's my responsibility to inspect what I'm tying my plane to. The biggest factor in earth anchor failure at my spots has been snow plows. If a truck mounted plow runs over your earth anchor cable it's probably on the way to failure.

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Anyone know the owner? Did he have insurance?

Yes. Probably not.

Speaking of rope, what is the best rope to tie down and where can I buy it in Fairbanks?

The biggest braided dock line they have at SBS. I think its 5/8". Replace every year.

Static climbing rope from REI. I like 12mm but have a couple in 10mm. 12mm is easier to tie.

+1 for what mr pid said

The tie down did fail BTW, The plane is in the holding pattern for now & safely in my hangar but the owners says it's looking like it could turn out well without the lawyers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Static climbing rope from REI. I like 12mm but have a couple in 10mm. 12mm is easier to tie.
    Always carried 100-ft of 3/4" laid nylon line in my C-206s. That was used for emergency purposes, usually. For normal tiedowns, I used 5/8" braided nylon with each end spliced. Used two of these, all ends looped and served, and made long enough to reach (by slight stretching) both the forward and rearmost davits to keep them from banging around out there. Short lines were spliced to each wing strut tiedown connection for wheel operations. On floats, and when the shorter lines sometimes weren't long enough to reach the brush, I hauled out the 100-ft line.

Dropped that line to a helicopter that was trying to extract a Citabria from Cook Inlet at the Chuitt River. The pilot had caught a wheel in the incoming tide and flipped the borrowed two-place over and into the water. The tide was taking it out by then. That was on a Monday, July 28, 1980 (My God! That was more than 30-years ago?). One of the Indians from Tyonek had picked up the two occupants and was taking them to Tyonek. I intercepted them and took the two back to Anchorage.

LOL, yes it was. I was 2 months 21 days old and probably sitting in the back of a 70's merc cougar enroute to AK.