Thread: What do you prefer and why (traps)

Default What do you prefer and why (traps)

Between Longsprings and Coil Springs. I am just getting started and trying to make sense of it all. I am planning on getting some snares and some 120's for martin but wasn't sure about what to get for legholds.

I use mostly snares and bodygrips I'll footholds if that is all that will work. The main reason I don't many footholds is this is a high snow country and they are just take to much time to reset after every snow.
    Chuck

I like long spring for marten, but coils for the bigger traps. Easier to conceal and usually fire faster.

I like coil springs. You don't have to make allowances for the spring when constructing the set like you have to do with longsprings.
    Now what ?

I use #1 jumps for marten, coils for fox, and LS for beaver and otter extra weight helps when drowning but seldom do to our conditions find an open water area for the otter after the first month of season with the exceptions of beaver dam spillways, so actually use almost conis exclusively for them. All my wolf traps are coils. The compactness of coils make it easier to haul more in the sled. Overall I probably use more snares than anything else for all canines.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it