Thread: CPR goes from ABC to CAB

Thumbs up CPR goes from ABC to CAB

For those who've taken a CPR class in the last couple years, you've probably heard about the next anticipated change to "compression-only" CPR. Well, we're there. The AHA held their 5-year evidence review of CPR methods earlier this year and have changed things up again.

Instead of dealing with an unconscious, unresponsive victim by checking/fixing Airway - Breathing - Circulation (ABC), the new standard for bystanders and first responders is to perform Chest Compressions - Airway - Breathing (CAB). This eliminates the time wasted in trying to find your pocket mask or CPR shield and then open the airway prior to starting chest compressions. Evidence shows that getting blood circulation restarted as soon as possible far outweighs any basic airway management procedures, especially during the first few minutes after collapse. Until the proper airway management equipment is readily available, it is better to simple continue with straight chest compressions.

Any bystander can start the new Hands-Only CPR by simply placing your hands in the center of the chest and begin compressions using the concept of "Push Hard - Push Fast". There is no need for airway or breathing management. For those trained in CPR, the goal is still 30 chest compressions followed by 2 ventilations. If available, an AED needs to be attached as soon as possible.

These changes to bystander level CPR are in effect immediately and will be part of your next AHA CPR class.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

"Any bystander can start the new Hands-Only CPR by simply placing your hands in the center of the chest and begin compressions using the concept of "Push Hard - Push Fast". There is no need for airway or breathing management."

Took a CPR refresher with AED training a couple months ago, and we were taught to do the 30 fast compressions followed by 2 ventilations. But just like you said, we were told that most likely the new instructions would be compressions only. It does simplify the process, and that can be a good thing amidst the confusion of a crisis. More likely to have people with half forgotten training be willing to jump in when needed.

I take a course in the spring of each year to keep LEAP cert. (logging related).
    In 2009 they went with compressions only.
    They explained it much like you did, get the blood going.
    In 2010 they went back to 30 fast compressions followed by 2 ventilation's.
    I think the compressions only is better in my environment.
    Interested to see what 2011 brings.
    "The older I get, the better I was."